Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2002, 03:34 PM   #31
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Some people, like me, gain weight very easily. Part of it is a sedentary lifestyle from a combination of work and school. Most weight problems are simply genetic and diet related. I used to think that athletic people worked hard all the time to maintain. Some do, but not most. I know more than a few who are simply naturally pre-disposed to it. I have a friend who is simply athletic by nature. He doesn't run for years and can sprint like he's been training for months. He can eat like a horse and only gain a minimal amout of weight. If he decides to lose ten pounds, he just quits snacking for a month or so. He puts on muscle easily. That's the way it goes. Some draw better cards than others in the game of life.

I've finally changed my dietary habits for the better and I think it will stick this time. I try to eat mostly lean meat, whole grains, fresh fuits and vegetables, and fresh nuts throughout the week. I splurge a bit on the weekends, but keep it to one reasonable serving. Weight is coming off slowly but I'm not hungry as I eat the healthy things when I get hungry. I'll combine exercise back with it when I get out of school. I should do better then. I won't lie. It's a bit of a pain. When eating fresh foods, you have to shop about 2-3 times a week to avoid spoilage. It's also a bit more expensive to eat fresh produce. The menu is a bit boring also. I have to agree with certain doctors though. I think refined and processed flours, sugars and fats are major contributors to our weight problems in the US. The major providers of these being the fast food we seem to eat almost daily. Let's face it, lunch hours are short and fast food is, well, fast!
I thought a more sedintary lifestyle might add pounds to my frame (practically sitting still for the last three years) but I'll just have to hope that my metabolism slows down when I get older. Still not sure that will happen though because my grandmother (and I look a lot like her) looked like a leather covered skeleton when she was in her late 60's. (EW!) Her sister on the other hand (who I am a twin to) turned into a big jolly-looking old woman! I am sure their diets were night and day though...my grandmother grew most of her produce and ate fresh and lean meats. I tend to eat more like my grandmother with the exception that I shop for my food, and you are right, fresh food diets do require more trips to the grocery store (unless you freeze ick) but I don't have much of a choice since I get sick when I eat chemically processed foods, frozen meals or fast food.
When it gets boring, I like to spce the meat up a little differently, do up different types of salads (a different type of lettuce, add this or that) and try different dressings. I'm keeping my Club crackers though!
Best of luck with your diet and its good to know that you know its not easy and are doing it anyway, that's totally cool! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] My roomie is pushing 300 lbs and still brings home candy, candy bars, cookies, donuts, and frozen pizzas. [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img] Its just gross.

Old 06-10-2002, 03:39 PM   #32
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Quote:
:::SNIP...worm stuff:::
[img]smile.gif[/img]
Eeeep!!! hehe I really was kidding Moni...just the thought of a worm living in me grosses me out [img]smile.gif[/img] But I do appreciate the sentiment and I think your article will deter anyone here who had serious worm thoughts [img]smile.gif[/img]
LOL I thought you'd like that [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I knew you were only kidding but at the same time, I thought I should address the effects of letting parasites live in your body just in case my post about Mexico selling the things gave anyone any ideas.

Old 06-10-2002, 03:45 PM   #33
Linora
Dungeon Master

None of it works... there's this product we've got in for slimming... all it is a diuretic...

"Works as part of a balanced diet"

ie, works when you stop eating all the crap such as MaccyD's and 3000 twixes a day lol. Most of these qwick-fix diets speed your metabolism.. however, when you eat normally again the wieght sneaks back on.. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

As I work in healthcare (for some reason) and we have to advise people on things like that.. they are never very interested in real solutions, but they like my little list of "cheats".. lmao..

I could writew a book called the cheaters guide to a bikini body..

*smile*
Old 06-10-2002, 03:45 PM   #34
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Has anyone read about the theory that insulin spikes from eating too much refined sugar and flour throw the bodies metabolism out of balance and contribute to the unnatural accumulation of body fat while having mild episodes of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)? The low blood sugar stimulates the appetite and causes a vicious cycle of poor eating habits and chronic fatigue. It sounds good on paper when you read it, but I was wondering what everyone thinks of it. There are so many theories on diet and appetite that it boggles the mind as to what's real science and what's not.
Yeppers!
KHaN's grandfather was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes earlier this year from exactly those eating habits.
We changed his diet around drastically to not include so many sugars and completely took out the heavy starches (white foods...potatoes, pasta...)
I am happy to report that on his last Dr.'s visit (last week as a matter of fact) he was cleared of having the condition. [img]smile.gif[/img]
That does not mean we'll let him go back to eating all the sugars, pastas and potatoes! It is much better to see him healthy and somewhat energetic again.

Old 06-10-2002, 04:19 PM   #35
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Azred, glad to hear that Belle is doing well.
She doesn't have much choice--I'm an old meanie, always watching what she is eating. [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:00 PM   #36
Thoran
Galvatron

The only thing that has ever worked for me is exercise. I've tried diets alone and they just don't do it. In the end there's no replacement for getting out and biking/swimming/lifting, or whatever.

When I get lazy and don't exercise, no matter what I do I gain weight, when I exercise at least 4 days a week I can eat pretty much whatever I want and I still lose weight.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:13 PM   #37
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Linora:
None of it works... there's this product we've got in for slimming... all it is a diuretic...

"Works as part of a balanced diet"

ie, works when you stop eating all the crap such as MaccyD's and 3000 twixes a day lol. Most of these qwick-fix diets speed your metabolism.. however, when you eat normally again the wieght sneaks back on.. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

As I work in healthcare (for some reason) and we have to advise people on things like that.. they are never very interested in real solutions, but they like my little list of "cheats".. lmao..

I could writew a book called the cheaters guide to a bikini body..

*smile*
would it have any pictures in it ? If yes, could you send me a copy ?
Old 06-10-2002, 05:19 PM   #38
Linora
Dungeon Master

Before I go..

Cheats

1) Moisturisers with Q10 in them.. firm you up
2) Diurectics.. can be found naturally in watermellon.. can help u lose a stone in a week
3) Peppermint tea... reduces bloating and trapped wind, bowel spasms etc, you may not know you had
4) Good posture makes you look thiner
5) A tan also does
6) Drink lots of water... skin looks puffy and loose when dehidrated
7) Eat a green salad daily.. reduces bloating
8) French bread.. ditto
9) Avoid "detox" diets as all the stuff leaving your system makes you bloat and put on weight
10) Tummy-control knickers! lmao [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2002, 05:21 PM   #39
Linora
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
would it have any pictures in it ? If yes, could you send me a copy ?[/QUOTE]

lol.. my bikini pics are all over the place.. if you know where to look..

*smile*
Old 06-10-2002, 05:24 PM   #40
Epona
Zartan

Well French Bread wouldn't do much for you if you have a gluten reaction - many people do without realising - in which case it makes you bloat!