Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2001, 08:50 AM   #11
Grojlach
Zartan

Another Dutchie with Cable here...
Well, though I have cable provided by the University itself (I believe in co-operation with Priority) and only pay DFL 45 a month (and if you're not a student of the University in Eindhoven, this information is pretty useless), I can only tell you that the worst period of the week is the Monday evening for some reason, 9 out of 10 times, my connection will go down for several hours in the afternoon and evening.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:08 AM   #12
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Another Dutchie with Cable here...
Well, though I have cable provided by the University itself (I believe in co-operation with Priority) and only pay DFL 45 a month (and if you're not a student of the University in Eindhoven, this information is pretty useless), I can only tell you that the worst period of the week is the Monday evening for some reason, 9 out of 10 times, my connection will go down for several hours in the afternoon and evening.

I was on a uni network a couple of years ago, and it was incredible. If I picked the right time of day/week you could get around 600k (I had 900 a couple of times), but if I tried using it during a weekday it could go as low as 4 bytes a second. It was a bit annoying at times, but as cost about the 150 guilders, and you got a network card chucked in aswell.
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Old 12-02-2001, 11:39 AM   #13
Melusine
Dracolisk

Alex, as long as you're not with Casema, I think you should be fine. My boyfriend's mom had cable through Casema, and it was HELL. They're getting sued all over the place now, I hear. You know what I would do? Try and do a Google search and find some customer comments on the provider in your area (probably the same provider as Dreamer's, right?). They can give you an unbiased opinion and relate their experiences. I hear there are a lot of sites dedicated to that sort of thing. [img]smile.gif[/img]

(I have ADSL through m_xstream, btw. [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] I can recommend it to anybody. The installation is quite expensive, but we got a 150,- discount at Planet.nl. We did the installation ourselves, it was really easy. I share the connection with my boyfriend, which makes it quite cheap per person (50,- per month each))
Old 12-03-2001, 08:02 AM   #14
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Just make sure you download ZoneAlarm or get another form of Firewall.
Unless you shutdown your computer you will be connected to the internet all the time. You need a firewall. ZoneAlarm is free and you download it from the internet. I have had very little trouble with it and it is very easy to use and understand.
Old 12-03-2001, 08:21 AM   #15
Melusine
Dracolisk

I use ZoneAlarm as well - it's very good! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2001, 08:25 AM   #16
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Where can you download ZoneAlarm?
Old 12-03-2001, 08:30 AM   #17
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Where can you download ZoneAlarm?

Try Here

I'm using it here aswell, and it seems to do the job.
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Old 12-03-2001, 08:32 AM   #18
Neb

quote:
Originally posted by Staralfur:

Try Here

Thanks Staralfur [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2001, 11:29 AM   #19
Sorcerer Alex

Pardon my ignorance, but what precisely is a firewall? I've often heard people mention it, but am still not exactly sure what it is.

Old 12-03-2001, 11:30 AM   #20
Neb

A firewall is a program that prevents hackers from messing around with your computer.