Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2001, 12:10 PM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

For all you comic fans.

I thought I start this thread to discuss the much-ballyhooed Marvel vs DC crossover some years back.

Personally, it was one of the BIGGEST disappointments I've ever experienced in a storyline. They spent months building up this wonderful crossover that would "finally answer the questions fans had asked for years".
Questions like:
"Who is stronger, Superman or Hulk?"
"Who is badder, Lobo or Wolverine?"
etc.

The series DID answer these questions (and even provided some bonus fights between lower profile characters), but the primary purpose was to introduce a new character and a storyline that the 2 rival companies would share.

I'm sorry, Hulk vs Superman, Wolverine vs Lobo, Storm vs Wonder Woman....ALL of these fights deserved much more than the obligatory ONE page. EACH fight should have covered a 3-5 page spread.

In using just one page per fight, Marvel and DC proved that they weren't really interested in "giving the fans what they want" at all. They just used it as a major promo to try and launch a new character.

I quit collecting comics shortly after this.
Old 11-06-2001, 12:16 PM   #2
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Really?!
You are disappointed?
I think it's great! The mags have got much more..um, what would you call it..detailed!
Still I agree, they kinda over-looked those fights

Sorry to hear you gave up on them..
Old 11-06-2001, 02:40 PM   #3
Cerek the Barbaric

I was disappointed because I was interested in a "new" storyline; I just wanted cover-to-cover action and I felt these titanic battles deserved that.
After all, the Superman/Hulk debate had been going on for YEARS, and the companies have the fight end in just 8 panels?!?!?!

And Logan and Lobo fall down in front of the bar and you don't see ANY of the fight.

WHAT A RIP-OFF!!!!

AFA the outcomes, I did agree with most of them (I still think Captain America would take Batman).

And - like I said - I liked the "Non-main-event" fights (like the new Robin vs Jubilee).

So, lets use this thread to rectify the situation.

Also, I have always thought that Batman vs Daredevil would be a GREAT fight. They're more closely matched than Batman and Captain America.

What do you think? Who would you like to see face off?
Or which fights from the original crossover should have gone the other way.
Old 11-06-2001, 06:25 PM   #4
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I love comic books!

I've been out of them for awhle now and didn't even know about this series. Can you tell me who won?

I must agree, Captain America could take Batman despite his gadgets.

I do remember these cool oversized book fights though...

Spider-Man vs Superman

Superman vs Mohammad Ali

Superman vs Flash (in a foot race)

PS I'm from NC, too. Rockingham, and you?

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]

Old 11-06-2001, 10:47 PM   #5
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Hey Cerek I like your sig! John Buscema is a wicked artist!

Hulk vs. Superman:

HULK

is strongest one there is!

MARVEL

Wins!

And yeah it sucks. I dont buy any comics anymore because of the price...well sometimes ill pick up a tradepaperback. Im reading dark horses Lone Wolf n Cub books, but other than those...nothing! I used to to be a pretty big collecter and still would be if the prices hadnt driven me out.

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Djinn Raffo ]

Old 11-07-2001, 12:12 AM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric

Glad to see some interest in this thread.

Ronn_Bman (cool sig). I live in Murphy, NC. That's as far west as you can go and still be in the state (we're right at the tip of the little point).

Djinn Raffo - I like what you did with the text. That's the kind of thing I would like to do.

OK, now for the battles (as best as I remember them..it's been a looooong time)

Superman vs Hulk - Superman wins. I agree. Hulk gets stronger as he gets madder, but Superman rarely uses more than a fraction of his true strength.

Lobo vs Wolverine - Wolverine wins. I agree again. I know Lobo took on Superman, but there is no other character in DC to challenge Lobo's attitude. Wolverine has faced the Hulk several times and goes up against Sabretooth on a routine basis. Basically, Lobo has never fought anybody who can fight just as dirty as he can.

Storm vs Wonder Woman Storm won. That's a close call. I like Storm better, but Wonder Woman is no pushover.

Batman vs Captain America - Batman wins...barely. The writers let the fans decide who would win (by conducting a huge poll). This was the closest contest of the 5 Main Events. Batman lured C.A. into the sewers to offset Cap's fighting skill, but I still think the ending was lame.

Spiderman vs Superboy - Spiderman wins. Never did figure out what they had in common to make the writers put them together.

These were the 5 "Main Events" to determine which universe had the strongest heroes. Marvel wins 3-2.

Other notable fights.

Thor vs Captain Marvel Thor won easily.

Robin (1990 version) vs Jubilee - Jubilee wins.

Flash vs Quicksilver - Flash leaves him in the dust.

Sub-Mariner vs Aquaman - Aquaman wins. I know, that's REALLY lame, but the "rules" stated that you basically just had to "pin" your opponent. Aquaman summoned a sperm whale to jump on Sub-Mariner.

Silver Surfer vs Green Lantern (not Hal Jordan) - Silver Surfer wins...I think. I can't remember for sure.

Hawkeye vs Green Arrow - Unfortunately, this battle never took place, but it would've been cool. I would pick Green Arrow.

Seems like Daredevil was there too, but I don't remember who he had to fight...or who won.
Old 12-02-2001, 04:46 PM   #7
Tobbin
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
Hey Cerek I like your sig! John Buscema is a wicked artist!

Hulk vs. Superman:

HULK

is strongest one there is!

MARVEL

Wins!

And yeah it sucks. I dont buy any comics anymore because of the price...well sometimes ill pick up a tradepaperback. Im reading dark horses Lone Wolf n Cub books, but other than those...nothing! I used to to be a pretty big collecter and still would be if the prices hadnt driven me out.

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Djinn Raffo ]

Hulk definitely is not the strongest one there is. There are MANY other characters that have strength greater. GALACTACUS (sp?) for one. Superman fought the HULK back in a giant sized SUPERMAN vs SPIDER-MAN back in the late 70's. It's true that the HULK kinda popped him around a bit, but that was only because SUPERMAN didn't realize how strong the HULK was. When he finally realized that the HULK was stronger than the average mortal, he just stood there letting the HULK get madder and madder until he (SUPERMAN) discovered what had caused him to change in the first place. He (SUPERMAN) then destroyed the cause of the HULK's anger and allowed him to change back into BANNER. The HULK even accepted SUPERMAN as an equal by stating that he wasn't like other PUNY humans and relaxing where he could change into BANNER. You have to remember that at this time, SUPERMAN was so powerful, that he flew into the Earth's core and pushed it out of it's orbit so that asteroids and other stuff wouldn't hit it. Then would fly around on the other side of the planet and then PUSH it back. How often has the HULK done that? LOL. We are talking about a character that had flown directly into the sun and survived. We are talking about a character that had gone back through time under his own power and could survive outerspace without any suit. LOL. I haven't kept up with the "NEW" SUPERMAN, but there really wasn't a contest from the Silver Age.
Old 12-02-2001, 05:01 PM   #8
Djinn Raffo
Ra

hahahaha...well true that there is lots of cosmic powered heavyweights Tobbin, like Galactus et al... Thanos and tonnes of others yeah!

That was just my impassioned cry that the Hulk himself uses...

Hulk smash puny DC!

As far as DC is concerned with me...this is all that matters:
Jonah Hex
Swamp Thing
Sgt. Rock
(im talking about the oooooooold ones!)

Havent kept up to date with dc so cant comment appropriately.

What about the Maestro...did anyone read the Future Imperfect series where the Hulk had killed all the heroes and kept all the legendary artifacts in a museum...Cap's sheild, Dr. Strange's cloak...the only thing not in the museum was Mjolnir.
Old 12-02-2001, 05:08 PM   #9
Tobbin
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
hahahaha...well true that there is lots of cosmic powered heavyweights Tobbin, like Galactus et al... Thanos and tonnes of others yeah!

That was just my impassioned cry that the Hulk himself uses...

Hulk smash puny DC!

As far as DC is concerned with me...this is all that matters:
Jonah Hex
Swamp Thing
Sgt. Rock
(im talking about the oooooooold ones!)

Havent kept up to date with dc so cant comment appropriately.

What about the Maestro...did anyone read the Future Imperfect series where the Hulk had killed all the heroes and kept all the legendary artifacts in a museum...Cap's sheild, Dr. Strange's cloak...the only thing not in the museum was Mjolnir.

Actually, didn't read the story arc there, but going back to the Marvel Vs DC storyline. I thought it was really cool when Wonder Woman picked up Mjolnir, and became the Thunder God herself. That was cool. It's been a long time since I read Jonah Hex. Never was really into it that much. I basically stopped reading comics when they killed off Supergirl though. Still not sure about the new comics. I do collect some of the Ultimate lines and Alias, and the Origin stuff. Was really disappointed with the whole thing. I've actually been collecting much older lately. I just got Superman #16 and Action Comics #39. My main character was always Superman. I will admit that my 2nd favorite character is Spider-Man though. It was always cool that he is the most mortal and identifiable character out there. Even moreso when I was a teenager and could relate to many of his problems.
Old 12-02-2001, 05:15 PM   #10
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Wonder Woman became the thunder god?????????? WOW

Wonder woman is pretty cool i have to admit. I have no idea what ultimate, alias, and origin are though...Yeah the prices drove me out...

Those old books you got, Action #39 n Superman #16... [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] !
Hehe ive been collecting older myself too...hehehe hitting all the 25 cent bins looking for old Conans and elfquests LOL...although i doubt you found those two in a 25 cent box!!!!!!!!!!!1