Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2001, 06:14 PM   #1
Charean
Hathor

INSTRUCTIONS FOR LIFE
1. Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully
2. Memorize your favorite poem
3. Don’t believe all you hear, don’t spend all you have, and don’t sleep all you want.
4. When you say "I love you" mean it.
5. When you say "I’m sorry" look the person in the eye.
6. Never laugh at anyone’s dreams.
7. In disagreement, fight fairly. No name calling.
8. Don’t judge people by their relatives.
9. Call your Mom
10. When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
12. Remember the three R’s: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.
13. Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
14. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
15. Smile when picking up the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice.
16. Marry a man/woman you love to talk to. As you get older, their conversational skills will be as important as any others.
17. Spend some time alone
18. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
19. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll get to enjoy it a second time.
20. Trust in God but lock you car
21. Pray
22. In disagreements with loved ones, deal with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
23. Be gentle with the earth.
24. Mind your own business.
25. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a stroke of luck.
26. Exercise more and watch TV less
27. Remember that the best relationship is one where your love for each other is greater than your need for each other.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Today I am mourning the passing of an old friend by the name of Common Sense.

Common Sense, AKA C.S., lived a long life but died from heart failure at the brink of the millennium. No one really knows how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, factories and offices, helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness. For decades, petty rules, silly laws and frivolous lawsuits held no power over C.S. He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, the early bird gets the worm, and life isn't always fair.

C.S. lived by sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable teaching and parenting strategies (the adult is in charge, not the kid). A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, C.S. survived cultural and educational trends including feminism, body piercing, whole language and "new" math. But his health declined when he became infected with the "If-It-Only-Helps-One-Person-It's-Worth-It" virus.

In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of overbearing federal regulations. He watched in pain as good people became ruled by self-seeking lawyers and enlightened auditors. His health rapidly deteriorated as schools mindlessly implemented zero tolerance policies. Reports of 6-year old boys charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student.

Finally, C.S. lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment than victims, and federal judges stuck their noses in everything from Boy Scouts to professional sports. As the end neared, C.S. drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding questionable regulations for asbestos, low flow toilets, "smart" guns and mandatory air bags.Finally, when told that the homeowners association restricted exterior furniture only to that which enhanced property values, he breathed his last breath.

C.S. was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his Son, Reason. He is survived by three step-brothers, Rights, Tolerance, and Whiner. Few attended his funeral, because so few realized he was gone.

Author Unknown

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
You are what your deep driving desire is; As your deep driving desire is, so is your will; As your will is so is your deed; As your deed is so is your destiny.
The Upanishads
Old 06-15-2001, 06:24 PM   #2
DawnChaser
Zhentarim Guard

I think I sent flowers...

Interesting post. Now go back and come up with a rhyme, limeric or poem for the hilarious posts thread.

"We have faith in you! You can do it!"

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 06:25 PM   #3
jabidas
Silver Dragon

I think two of those sayings are connected. We trust in God evryone else pays cash upfront.

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 06:26 PM   #4
Neb
Account deleted by Request

28. Obey Tiax for he rules all!(Sorry, couldn't stop myself )

Hmmmmm...... Does anyone here know Ressurect or Wish? Maybe his rebirth can start in this forum? I certainly see more of C.S. on this forum than I see in the "real" world.

Old 06-15-2001, 06:30 PM   #5
Charean
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
28. Obey Tiax for he rules all!(Sorry, couldn't stop myself )

Hmmmmm...... Does anyone here know Ressurect or Wish? Maybe his rebirth can start in this forum? I certainly see more of C.S. on this forum than I see in the "real" world.

That was a very profound thing you said, Neb.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
You are what your deep driving desire is; As your deep driving desire is, so is your will; As your will is so is your deed; As your deed is so is your destiny.
The Upanishads
Old 06-15-2001, 06:30 PM   #6
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Hm. CS isn't quite dead. I'm a living advocate.
But yeah...
Whoever wrote that sure had their head screwed on the right way!

------------------

Old 06-15-2001, 06:36 PM   #7
Psychedelic Buttafly
Zhentarim Guard

Yeh come on i have posted plenty now its your turn!!!!!

------------------