Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2001, 11:42 AM   #1
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I am starting a thread that allows us to review movies that we have recently seen so others can read the reviews if they are interested in the movie. I will start with a review of Moulin Rouge

I will give it out of 5 's

Moulin Rouge is your basic love story turned tragedy. An English writer (Ewan McGregor) falls in love with a Cortesan and star of the Moulin Rouge (Nicole Kidman). This love is interrupted by an evil Duke who wants Satine (Kidman) to himself. Should Satine choose the penniless writer and lose the Moulin Rouge or should she choose the Duke and save her career and the theatre?
The cinematography and costumes in this movie are great. The storyline is not unique but at least it is a storyline. The movie mixes humor with drama pretty well but is a bit choppy in doing so. The only problem I have with this movie is that it tries to be a musical (along the lines of Rodgers and Hammerstein) but it contains very little original music. There are covers of Elton John, David Bowie and Madonna (and various others) throughout the movie. And while a couple of the song and dance routines are pretty hilarious, I found myself trying to guess which top 40 hit would be introduced next. Overall I think they should have spent a little less on cinematography and a little more on hiring a couple decent song-writers!

------------------

Ever wonder if illiterate people get the full effect from alphabet soup?

[This message has been edited by Moridin (edited 06-12-2001).]
Old 06-12-2001, 12:31 PM   #2
Charean
Hathor

I like your critique style!! Reminds me of me mum (who is a movie critic, doncha know)... gives you enough info to decide if you want to see it or not and what to expect. Gotta love it

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
Looking for lost brain - I left it only for a moment....and there it goes... rolling under the table!!
Noticing that the Light has gotten further down a Dark Tunnel than expected... Time to get the Lantern... Knowing sooner or later - I will get to the End of this Tunnel to the Open Air once again...
Old 06-12-2001, 04:13 PM   #3
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

This thread is a great idea, Moiridin !
I agree with Sparkle-Eye on that your review is well-done.

But unfortunately, I won't be able to contribute much here as American movies get here about 3-6 months after they have been shown in the US and virtually all non-European movies I get to see won't make it to the US anyway.

------------------
So long !

R³ - new, much improved signature under construction !

Old 06-12-2001, 07:55 PM   #4
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I think we need a new Forum on Ironworks about MOVIES!!! Work on that MAster Z!
Pleeaaasssseeeee!!!

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?
Old 06-22-2001, 03:02 PM   #5
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

The House of Mirth

of our 5 's

A must see movie if you are too happy. The House of Mirth, starring Gillian Anderson as Lilly Bart, is a film adaptation of Edith Warton's novel of the same name.

Bart is a socialite in 1905-1907 New York. A virtous women, who relies on her Aunt's money for support. Through some twists and turns, Bart soon falls from 'society' through her determination to make it on her own. The story is about the irony, that a women who tries to succeed on her own w/out blackmail, backstabbing, or gossip ultimately falls from the very thing she deserves. While others who use these 'tricks of the trade' succeed.

The movie is well done, with some stunning costume design which does a great job of reflecting early 20th century dress. I felt the music for the film was a bit drab, but overall does a good job of underlining the 'tragic' undertones of the film. Anderson is quite good as Lilly Bart, who is in someways a lot like Dana Skully on the X-files. The film also stars Dan Aykroyd, as a prosperous business man who dupes Bart and is the reason for her demise. Eric Stoltz, the one man who could save Bart, but decides not to for his own image. And Laura Linney, the ultimate best friend turn enemy!

------------------

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Old 06-22-2001, 03:09 PM   #6
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I agree, Moulin Rouge was very good but not excellent. I was amazed by the soundtrack though. They did an awesome job.

Anyone seen The Fast and the Furious yet? It looks so good.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)
Old 06-22-2001, 03:21 PM   #7
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
The House of Mirth

of our 5 's

A must see movie if you are too happy. The House of Mirth, starring Gillian Anderson as Lilly Bart, is a film adaptation of Edith Warton's novel of the same name.
I saw this in March on a romantic weekend with my husband. We both agreed that it was beautifully done, well acted ~ stellar cast! However, it was the most depressing movie I've seen in decades. Anyone who knows me knows I am not much of a drinker, but as we left that movie I turned to my husband and quite seriously said, "Let's go get drunk!"

Just cautioning anyone who may be sensitive to movie moods - this one is a beautifully done heavy downer!

(Hope you don't mind my addition Moridin! )

------------------

Having abandoned my
search for truth, I am
now looking for a good
fantasy.

Thank you to the kind R³
for being such eloquent
& witty spokesmen.
Old 06-22-2001, 04:14 PM   #8
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by bilqis:

(Hope you don't mind my addition Moridin! )

I don't mind at all bilqis That is why I started this thread so others could critique movies they have seen recently (or not so recently if so inclined)

------------------

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Old 06-23-2001, 09:28 AM   #9
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Took my boys to see "Evolution" last week.

I will give it out of 5 's

The best way I can describe "Evolution" is to say it's like "Men in Black" meets the "Blob". It's silly fun, (some people might call it stupid), which doesn't take itself too seriously. I laughed a lot. It was just a little 'off' in some of the delivery, but only barely. Good acting by David Duchovny and the rest of the cast.

I recommend it if you want some silly fun.

------------------

Having abandoned my
search for truth, I am
now looking for a good
fantasy.

Thank you to the kind R³
for being such eloquent
& witty spokesmen.

[This message has been edited by bilqis (edited 06-23-2001).]