Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2002, 05:24 PM   #1
dreadnaught
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What effects the MAIN CHARACTER special abilities you get as you sleep for the 1st time after each chapter does anybody know a website that has a guide fore this or are the special abilities at the end of each chapter always the same no matter what class--race---alighnment you are right now I'm a human fighter/illusionist with 2 light healing and a 1 slow poison!!!!!
dreadnaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 07:11 PM   #2
Debaser

The difference lies in what alignment your character is. if you are good, you will get the cure spells and the slow poison, etc. ....evil characters get something like vampiric touch and other things like that. i think the neutral special abilities are the same as the good ones.

Oh yeah, welcome to the board. [img]graemlins/crazyeyes.gif[/img]

[ 07-06-2002, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Debaser ]
Old 07-06-2002, 10:37 PM   #3
dreadnaught
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I thought that was how the special abilities worked I think I read that on a website before just wanted to make sure----I WAS LOOKING FOR A WAY TO AVOID GETTING SLOW POISON AND GET ANOTHER HEAL THOSE ARE MOR USEFUL. THANKS for the board WELCOME I've looked on this site for 2 years now but never joined!!!!
Old 07-07-2002, 07:36 AM   #4
Arwyn the Betrayer
Manshoon

I think it's not the alignment, it's the reputation.
Arwyn the Betrayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 05:08 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

True--your dreams are based on your reputation, not alignment. If your Rep is Disliked (6 or lower?), or in that neighborhood, you get different dreams with different results.

The Good Abilities:
Cure Light Wounds x2
Slow Poison x2
Draw Upon Holy Might x2

The Evil Abilities:
Larloch's Minor Drain x2
Horror x2
Vampiric Touch x2

Slow Poison is certainly not a bad ability to have--if you don't believe me, take a quick jaunt through the Cloakwood. It's certainly better to have than Horror, its counterpart (well, unless you always find yourself facing lots of low-level enemies with poor Saving Throws).
Old 07-07-2002, 09:49 PM   #6
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
The Good Abilities:
Cure Light Wounds x2
Slow Poison x2
Draw Upon Holy Might x2

Slow Poison is certainly not a bad ability to have--if you don't believe me, take a quick jaunt through the Cloakwood. It's certainly better to have than Horror, its counterpart (well, unless you always find yourself facing lots of low-level enemies with poor Saving Throws).
Hey! How come I didn't get Draw Upon Holy Might!?
My character has hit the level cap (161,000) and I've just finished all the quests at Ulgoth's Beard. He is a CG Ranger at level 9 (I think) and apart from his charm animal abilities he got as a ranger, he only has 2 cure light wounds and 1 (or 2) slow poison.

6ofSpades is right - the slow poison ability is very useful around Cloakwood. There are also a couple of other areas where characters get poisoned easily - this ability can be a life saver in the middle of a battle and your antidote potions are NOT in the quick-use slots.
Old 07-08-2002, 01:19 PM   #7
Arwyn the Betrayer
Manshoon

Hm, as far as I've experienced, it's important to spend the first few nights in a new chapter sleeping in an inn.
Might be a coincidence, though.
Arwyn the Betrayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 04:44 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Hayashi:
Hey! How come I didn't get Draw Upon Holy Might!?
Again, it's because of Reputation. As long as you're Average, Popular, or Heroic, you'll get the Good abilities, but if you kill a couple of innocents and your Rep slides down towards 5 or so, you'll get the Evil abilities instead. Your current Rep, at the moment of the dream, is what matters. If you have to go without sleep for 3 days so you can haul your Fatigued party back to a Temple and donate, do it.

Pity--DUHM is one of my favorite abilities...it's especially brutal on a Thief in BG2. Holy Might is level-based (the Thief Levels Up the fastest), you can get your STR up to 25 (which can only be fully utilized in a Backstab), along with your Dexterity (which does obscene things to your Thieving skills and Constitution (a character with 25 CON Regenerates how fast??).
Old 07-08-2002, 06:23 PM   #9
dreadnaught
Elite Waterdeep Guard

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS SO THATS IT 3 GOOD ABILITIES AND 3 EVIL ABILITIES I WAS JUST TRYING TO GET ANOTHER HEAL NEVER HAVE TROUBLE GETTING POISONED I'M ON THE 3RD LEVEL OF THE CLOAKWOOD MINES AND I ALL MY PARTY HAS ANTIDOTES ON THEM THE HEALS COME IN MORE HANDY THAN ANYTHING ELSE----AND I'LL NEVER USE DRAW UPON HOLY MIGHT ON MY MAIN CHARACTER HE IS A FIGHTER/MAGE(REP IS 20)AN HAS A STRENGTH OF 18/00------I'M GLAD TO KNOW NOW THAT REP IS WHAT AFFECTS THE SPECIAL ABILITIES NOT ALIGNMENT NOW I CAN GO BACK AND THROUGH MY SAVES AND LOWER MY REP TO SEE WHAT MY DREAMS ARE LIKE!!!
Old 07-08-2002, 08:43 PM   #10
DieNooberDie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Im still on chapter 3 and i got the 2 cure light wounds spells.Do u get the other ones in later chapters?

[ 07-08-2002, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: DieNooberDie ]