Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2003, 04:24 PM   #1
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Well, I just got my computer back from my dad (He was repairing it). Now, everytime I press "enter", windows media player starts up along with the annoying little "Do you want windows media player to access the internet?" How can I gain freedom to use the enter button without fearing media player?

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:52 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Tell Zone Alarm to always refuse net connection to Media Player, turn off automatic update and any other things that require net connection in Media Player.

[ 05-06-2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 05-06-2003, 04:58 PM   #3
Rokenn
Galvatron

FEAR THE MEDIA PLAYER! lol.

Try checking to see if a shortcut was bound to the media player. Pull up the properties for the media player icon on your desktop and see if anything is under the short entry.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:01 PM   #4
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Rokenn, Calthy suggested that and nothin'. Luvian, just gonna try your suggestion. Cheers, guys [img]smile.gif[/img]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:41 AM   #5
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Okay, Windows media player still opens itself whenever I press "enter" , but this time it doesn't launch onto the internet.

Old 05-07-2003, 11:50 AM   #6
WillowIX
Apophis

Try uninstalling WMP and re-install it. Otherwise smply uninstall it and get yourself a better player.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:11 PM   #7
B_part
Quintesson

I have Zona Alarm myself, and all you need to do to stop it nagging you about one program is tell it to "Remember this answer the next time I use this program", then answer yes or no. The remember option is just above the yes & no buttons.

Otherwise you can open zone alarm's control panel, click on program control, get the "programs" tab. find the program you are interested to discipline in the program column. You will notice there are question marks on the right of the program's name: they are, in order: right to access trusted zone, right to access internet, right to be a server in trusted zone, right to be server on internet. Left click the second and choose allow / block as wished. The program will stop asking. If you choose the question mark, it will ask every time.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:24 PM   #8
Kaltia
Jack Burton

I've done that. My problem is that every time I press the enter key, Windows Media Player loads itself up. I only said it was zone alarm 'cause my dad thought it might be.

Old 05-08-2003, 01:46 PM   #9
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

My dearest lass, unfortunately I am unable to offer you any workable solution for the software problem at hand, but I am here to invite you to think big: Hire TL as your legal representative and have him sue your dad for damages. Soon you will be wading in cash, thus be able to hire Miss Harleyquinn as your personal permanent computer consultant (hence any future software problem will be her problem!)- and best of all: your dear father will be completely at your mercy as you will be able to squelch any ill-advised attempt of his to exert parental authority by an off-hand mentioning of the 10 Mio. bucks he still owes you.
So long !<br /><br />R³ aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Old 05-08-2003, 02:26 PM   #10
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Kaltia, try pressing control + the wondows logo button on your keyboard...that once activated a lot of hotkeys for me...oh, and if that don't work, press it again, otherwise you have a load of other problems...cos all hot keys will be activated and you won't be able to type.