Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2002, 07:57 AM   #1
Vampire

Do you believe in fate... destiny, even just sometimes? Have you ever wondered why something keep happening or is it just coincidence and probability?

Tell us what you think about this [img]smile.gif[/img] And your experiences.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:00 AM   #2
Lord Shield

definitely. I also believe it can be avoided

I used to dream of my death at the hands of another. When it got closer to the time, I took steps to mak sure that guy did NOT have an issue with me, as well as training so that anyone coming at me with a knife would NOT succeed. Hence these events were avoided and I dreamt of them no more

Since then I've felt disconnected a lot of the time, like I've been 'forgotten' for want of a better word

Old 05-20-2002, 08:04 AM   #3
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

seems alot of these life searching topic things goin down atm

Personally, I live for the day. I don't see a point to worrying about whether there is or is not fate because if there is then it's gonna happen whether you believe in it or not and if there isn't then you're doing a whole lot of worrying over nothing [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: If you think this is hard to read, you should try typing it [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 05-20-2002, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Downunda ]
Old 05-20-2002, 08:04 AM   #4
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
definitely. I also believe it can be avoided

I used to dream of my death at the hands of another. When it got closer to the time, I took steps to mak sure that guy did NOT have an issue with me, as well as training so that anyone coming at me with a knife would NOT succeed. Hence these events were avoided and I dreamt of them no more

Since then I've felt disconnected a lot of the time, like I've been 'forgotten' for want of a better word
Good point LS, do you think fate and destiny can be avoided or controlled to a certain extent but not to the extent that the words become redundent.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:15 AM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
i'm with downunda on this one, take it as it comes, one day at a time, fate or no, i don't care, i'll see what it brings.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:22 AM   #6
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

oh I most certainly belive that we all have some form of karma controlling our fate though we also have free will to determine how well in synch the scenarios we experience work out...
Also:
we must realize that this is a world we live in composed of many differint structures, cultures, and incidents all happening at every moment, though we as human beings tent to try and tune out everything around us, whether it is good or suffering, by doing so we can get by in life with just ourselves. But when one human should hope to meet, befreind, or well... be WITH another, then of course, fate must play a key role in determining how compatiable they both seem to be toward eachother...

In fact, I belive that coincidence is nothing more than a miracle which occurs but where a devine power wishes to go unnoticed...
Old 05-20-2002, 08:35 AM   #7
uss
20th Level Warrior

yes, ofcourse.
i belive there is a good friend or lover for everybody, chosen by "god", that im going to be a millionaire after years, doing absolutely nothing(like batman [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) and that when something strange happens/good/bad, happens, "god" just floats between the fluffy clouds of heaven, munches his popcorn and laughs his ass off if you mess something up.
i think that today, when i was outside, i felt a wet popcorn piece made by "god"! ow no, it was the bird! bad bird!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2002, 09:50 AM   #8
Epona
Zartan

No I don't believe in fate or destiny. I do believe that how we react to situations not of our making can change the outcome positively, or at least add positively to your sum of experiences, which makes me the ultimate eternal optimist LOL.

If I believed in fate I honestly think I would walk round with a frown on my face, believing that whatever happened was meant to happen and I had no control over it. Even when we really don't have any control over much of what happens to us, I believe you can still learn positive things from each of them. Consequently I am pretty much always smiling, and have been described as being 'overconfident' LOL.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:21 AM   #9
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
No I don't believe in fate or destiny. I do believe that how we react to situations not of our making can change the outcome positively, or at least add positively to your sum of experiences, which makes me the ultimate eternal optimist LOL.

If I believed in fate I honestly think I would walk round with a frown on my face, believing that whatever happened was meant to happen and I had no control over it. Even when we really don't have any control over much of what happens to us, I believe you can still learn positive things from each of them. Consequently I am pretty much always smiling, and have been described as being 'overconfident' LOL.
then you will cometh to hell with the other pagans! thy lord has spoken and thats what he wants! all praise the lord of Oklahoma!

*ehem* no, im not drunk(i didnt drink that vodka! it was the cat! i swear! ) [img]smile.gif[/img] .

to tell you the truth, right now im being sarcastic all the way inside out [img]smile.gif[/img] .
anyway, Clawfinger - Two Sides is a good song + good lyrics:

There's nothing a god can give to me that i can't give to myself
I put my beliefs in the things I believe and a god can take care of himself
there's not enough love in the world for me to think about wasting my time
It's not that I don't believe at all but I don't need a heavenly sign
I can achieve the things I need without getting down on my knees
I can respect your religion but i don't want to pay your fees
I don't want to hear you talk about the things you think that i need
so don't help me back on my feet again until you can hear me pled
Just look in the holy book of crooks and tell me what you can find
all the rules and the regulations made to manipulate your mind
don't pretend that you're blind just open your mind and study historical times
the bigger thew loss the bigger the cost the bigger the cross and it's crimes

I don't believe in a god that I need to worship
I don't believe that I need to get down on my knees
I don't believe that a voice from above can help me
I only believe in what I can see and the things that I can achieve

Whatever belief you belong to there is always a reason to doubt
and there's always another opinion as to what life is all about
there's always a bigger dimension and a different point of view
so I don't want to try to change you that decision is up to you
Whatever your final choice is and however you choose to live
you better be happy for what you can get and happy with what you can give
there's only one thing to remember there is only one thing you can do
and that is to do unto others as you'd have others do unto you

Chorus

Two sides two sides to every story
two stories more makes four new ones to choose
Four sides four sides to every story
four stories more makes eight new ones to choose
Eight sides eight sides to every story
eight stories more now which one should you choose
now which one can you use
Old 05-20-2002, 10:26 AM   #10
MagiK

Nope, don't believe in it at all, we make our own fate and or destiny.
Any other view smacks too much of an excuse to not accept the "blame" responisbility for our successes and failures for my taste. It is way too easy to just use the excuse that you are a "victim" or fate, destiny, the universe or whatever.

Of course this is all opinion and has no more validity than any other opinion.

I have a couple of friends who really do believe the universe is out to get them..I have never seen anyone have more "bad luck" than these two...however, I think if they ever got rid of the "personal rain cloud" they carry around and were pro-active instead of reactive they would have a much better time of it.

[ 05-20-2002, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]