Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2001, 04:27 PM   #1
Mandeville
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have a whole bunch of items in my inventory -all of which come up as "unidentified." Do I have to go back to town to identify this stuff, or is there an ability or scroll? I' running out of room!
Mandeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 04:34 PM   #2
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Hi and welcome to the board,

There's two way to identify items:

The first -and most expensive- is to pool all the similar items into one character's inventory and head for the shop. There you'll find an identify button that will ID ALL identical item. Ie: all short swords will be ided but not the rusted ones!

The other option is to gain the Ancient Lore trait (Warlock and Priest Guild lvl 3) and to learn the Artifact skill. The higher your artifact, the better the items you can ID.

Good luck
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 04:35 PM   #3
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

The ability to identify is taught to members of the priest's and warrior's guilds after level 3. The priest's guild is easier because you can complete the quests sooner. You must first learn the trait and then learn the artifacts skill. Until then you have to take them to town to be identified.

I have always thought it funny you cannot identify simple things early in the game. It seems that it is easier to tell what weapon is while it is being used on you than to tell what it is after you pick it up. Here is an example:
Graveyard Skeleton swings Rusted Long Sword.
Graveyard Skeleteon misses.
Dezmund swings Long Sword.
Graveyard Skeleton hit for 8 point.
Lauren casts Shock.
Graveyard Skeleton hit for 18 points.
Graveyard Skeleton dies.

Lauren picks up ?Sword?
(Tries to identify it and fails)

Dezmund: So is it worth anything?
Lauren: I can't tell. I am not sure what kind of sword it is.
Dezmund: What??!! You can't tell what kind of sword it is?
Lauren: No.
Dezmund: It was pretty easy to tell that it was a Rusted Long Sword while that thing was swinging it at me! But now that the skeleton is dead you can't tell what kind of weapon it was using??
Lauren: Sorry. I have tried to get the guild to teach me how to identify items, but they won't teach me yet.
Dezmund: How about I start swinging it at you? Would that make it easier to identify??!!

Knarfling

------------------
Only two of my personalites have delusions, but one of them is paranoid and the other is out to get him.
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2001, 10:15 AM   #4
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

LOL

But it doesn't always work that way! Sometimes the item changes while being dropped. A Long Sword can become a Rusted Long Sword... I think it has to do with the extremely rapid oxidation of the blade caused by party members blood!
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2001, 10:24 AM   #5
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

hey Knarf! lol

please do include the conversation in the 'Giggling so hard...' thread

adam warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 05:09 AM   #6
VIXEN
Dungeon Master

ROTFLMAO@ KNARF'S example....yes you must post that conversation in the other area...it's hysterical and ALL of us die hard players know exactly what you're saying!! LMAO
VIXEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 10:10 AM   #7
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

Actually, this was posted on the "Giggling so hard" thread some time ago. It is on page three with another example of not being able to identify something that is very obvious.

I guess I wasn't sure if someone new would want to find and go through that thread just to find this one part of a post. Plus, the other part of the post has some minor spoilers for people that have not reached that part of the game yet.

Knarfling

------------------
Only two of my personalites have delusions, but one of them is paranoid and the other is out to get him.
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote