Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2002, 08:38 PM   #11
Kalak
The Magister

Not if your other class is that order of monks favorite class...ie order of the old monks or whatever is rogue. But anyway, a level 1 rogue doesn't get a +1 which is my other class so I wouldn't be 100% certain, but my unarmed bonus is what it is supposed to be.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:14 PM   #12
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

That's exactly why it is working then, because your rogue BAB is still 0; if you take one more rogue level, your BAB for fighting unarmed will get broken. The order and which class you multi to has nothing to do with the broken unarmed BAB. All that does is let you switch from being a monk to the other allowed class, and then back to a monk. If you chose a class to multi to outside of what the monk's order allowed, you couldn't go back to being a monk.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:33 PM   #13
timberwolf
Dungeon Master

I am never great with all the technicality stuff. I check thru my monk/rogue stats and it seems that I am not suffering from any penalties for the monk class.
I do agree that using a pure monk and add pts to rogue skills should do the trick but for realistic point of view, monks are suppose to be holy person and don't steal right? [img]smile.gif[/img] So must add in a level of rogue.... just a thought.
Old 10-26-2002, 04:38 PM   #14
Nightowl2
Galvatron

"Monk" is a poor choice of term for this class. There is nothing religious about them at all. Consider, for instance, that a monk could be lawful evil as well as good. No, monks are not "holy" in the sense you mean.

"Ninja" might be a better term, but then everyone would expect them to be evil. Sometimes, ya just can't win

Nightowl2

P.S. Hmm, why not "Martial Artist"? That might have been best.
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 05:00 PM   #15
Jellyfish
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightowl2:
"Monk" is a poor choice of term for this class. There is nothing religious about them at all. Consider, for instance, that a monk could be lawful evil as well as good. No, monks are not "holy" in the sense you mean.

"Ninja" might be a better term, but then everyone would expect them to be evil. Sometimes, ya just can't win

Nightowl2

P.S. Hmm, why not "Martial Artist"? That might have been best.
A monk has a great difference from a ninja though they seem a bit similar in Wizardry 8...

But for me, a person who have lived in eastern culture for many years, I really understand where the word monk came from. He is not like what you think, only a martial artist.

Have you ever considered why paladins and monks will refuse rewards for the quests? And why can monk only be lawful?
Old 10-26-2002, 05:11 PM   #16
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Does that mean Dreadmasters of Bane aren't holy either? Holiness/religious devotion has nothing to do with being good-aligned. If Monks weren't devoted, why do they (even evil ones) turn down rewards if you have them do the talking after successful quests (and they say their beliefs prohibit it).

Ninjas also need not be evil be default - true neutral is more my idea of what a ninja is.
Old 10-26-2002, 07:21 PM   #17
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Oldest Story in the book... A ninja with a heart of gold. Like Robin Hood... or Yoshimitsu from Could Calibur. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2002, 07:21 PM   #18
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

it was Soul Calibur in my head... dont ask me were the Could came from. Sorry!
Old 10-26-2002, 10:56 PM   #19
Jellyfish
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack of Speed:
Oldest Story in the book... A ninja with a heart of gold. Like Robin Hood... or Yoshimitsu from Could Calibur. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Robin Hood?
He is supposed to be one of the rangers or thieves...Moreover, a ninja is especially from the eastern country, Japan. Samurais are also from Japan. But nowadays, you cannot find any ninjas or samurais in Japan.
Monks are from China, but they adjust some factors in the dnd world. There many clues such as the fast movement, the toughness, the martial arts, the strong will saving, the stunning fist and the quiver palm. And now you still can see monks good at martial arts in China, if you go to the certain place.

Do you remember the eight chambers in the black raven monastery? If you really know a lot about the martial monks in China, you will know what the chambers refer to. There are something resembling the eight chambers test in China.
Old 10-27-2002, 12:24 AM   #20
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Really? What are the eight chambers (in the real world)? Now you've got me interested!

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote