Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2002, 11:52 AM   #11
toriuxik
Banned Smartass

lol, its called 'power gaming', and you loose any hopes of remaining realistic in any way, shape or form. With a 3 charisma, your fighter is possibly the ugliest THING in existance. EVERYTHING hates it. He would be singled out in a fight to be killed BECAUSE HE IS THAT ANNOYINGLY UGLY! lol
toriuxik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 01:42 PM   #12
che
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think that fighters are MUCH LESS powerful in IWD2, because they only get one more specialization of the weapon (only +1 on damage) so I can't understand why someone would chose a fighter in their party. My party : SOR, PAL,MON,CLE,ROG,BAR was difficult to play with at the beginning, but now, no one can realy hurt me (except fot that lich). Paladin with a holy aveng. in one hand, and a longsword +4 in the off hand, abidex.,two-weapon... KiKs @ss!!! I am sure that a ranger would be just as powerful, and they are much more interesting to play with than a fighter.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:16 PM   #13
Nydlari
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by toriuxik:
lol, its called 'power gaming', and you loose any hopes of remaining realistic in any way, shape or form. With a 3 charisma, your fighter is possibly the ugliest THING in existance. EVERYTHING hates it. He would be singled out in a fight to be killed BECAUSE HE IS THAT ANNOYINGLY UGLY! lol
Um, what do you think a FIGHTER is supposed to look like? This is a guy who spends his life having people swing sharp heavy objects at his face. Many scares and very few teeth is how I picture him.
Nydlari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 05:42 PM   #14
Nydlari
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by che:
I think that fighters are MUCH LESS powerful in IWD2, because they only get one more specialization of the weapon (only +1 on damage) so I can't understand why someone would chose a fighter in their party. My party : SOR, PAL,MON,CLE,ROG,BAR was difficult to play with at the beginning, but now, no one can realy hurt me (except fot that lich). Paladin with a holy aveng. in one hand, and a longsword +4 in the off hand, abidex.,two-weapon... KiKs @ss!!! I am sure that a ranger would be just as powerful, and they are much more interesting to play with than a fighter.
Three main reasons:
1) Stat distribution: If you are playing a Paladin or Ranger and want to make use of their abilities, you need to distribute at least some points to INT, WIS, & CHA. This means lower STR, DEX, & CON. If you don't plan on using their abilities, why pick them in the first place.

2) Spell casters are weak in IWD2. This isn't so much a problem with 3rd edition rules as what I've seen of IWD2. The game just has way too much combat for casters to keep up. Unless you rest after every other fight, you are going to run out of spells fast becuase of the shear number of opponents who seem to make their saving throws on a regular basis, forcing you to repeatedly cast spells.

3) And most important: Feats. Most characters only get 11 feats by lvl 30, a fighter will have 26. This means you can get all those nice saving throw feats to help build a character that can't be touched, weapon specialization in your choice of melee and ranged weapon, and all the other nifty abilities other classes have to pick and choose from. Two levels of cleave and specialization in great sword in the middle of a mob is better than a meteor swarm.
Nydlari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 01:44 AM   #15
Jellyfish
Dungeon Master

Are spell casters weak in iwd2?
I don't think so. I think they are just so strong that this game seems a bit unbalanced.
Have you ever tried fighting a cleric around level 20 summoned units such as the undead using your best fighter? Do you realize how many attacks can they make one round? Can you see how much damage they made? And did you notice their special ability like extra element damage and damage imm?
The arcane spells are even stronger. Imporved invisiblity and improved haste are enough to prove the wizards' value, and fireball, sunfire, delayed fireball with spell focus on evotion and spirit of fire can wipe out your enemies in no time.
Some people think heart of fury mode is stupid. I agree with them.
It is designed for spell casters. Fighters are no match for them in this mode.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:47 AM   #16
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

AB-SO-LUT-LY!
Old 10-28-2002, 07:46 PM   #17
toriuxik
Banned Smartass

Quote:
Originally posted by Nydlari:
quote:
Originally posted by toriuxik:
Um, what do you think a FIGHTER is supposed to look like? This is a guy who spends his life having people swing sharp heavy objects at his face. Many scares and very few teeth is how I picture him.[/QUOTE]lol, I don't think you realize just how damaging charisma that low is. In 3rd ed, they have placed the emphasis of cha off of looks, to things like social skills etc etc self esteem etc etc, and WAIT! A creature with 0 cha is unable to distinguish between itself and things that AREN'T itself. 3 isn't much above that. A 3 charisma would be inhumanly ugly (we're talking a gory mess where a face should be that oozes green, acidic slime), and he would more or less be unable to fight, as he would have such a hard time DISTINGUISHING BETWEEN HIMSELF AND HIS ENEMIES! lol

I really don't think you understand the gravity of the situation. lol

As for the insult directed at warrior types, just what happens when the fighter has MR and just kills your mage before he can summon anything? Summoning takes time, beating you over the head with a sword does not really. When that drow fighter cuts your head off, I'm sure the fact that you've memorized lots of summoning spells is going to make it ALL better. lol Summoning with a non-cleric is much weaker is IWD2 than in previous games. lol, Once the cleric can cast 3rd level spells, The game is now broken. Can anybody say Great Boneguard? lol
Old 10-28-2002, 07:57 PM   #18
Barak Sharptongue
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Whoa, youse guys are nasty. Jus' 'cause all my teeths is gone, youse makes fun a me. Wait for my double axes to chop youse heads.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:05 AM   #19
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I'm happy with my dwarf. My dwarf is not so stupid (int 3) and not so ugly (cha 1) like yours [img]smile.gif[/img] ) He's just an angry type [img]smile.gif[/img]

FIGHTER class is a must have! No pure paladin nor pure barbarian. Always 4 levels of fighter. Pally, Barb the rest.

Rangers are not useful in 3rd edition.

Only %5 IWD2 players choose this class.
%99 of them do it for free dual-wielding feats (only 1 level)
%1 of them reload and take another class [img]smile.gif[/img] )))
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 12:01 PM   #20
toriuxik
Banned Smartass

Quote:
Originally posted by Barak Sharptongue:
Whoa, youse guys are nasty. Jus' 'cause all my teeths is gone, youse makes fun a me. Wait for my double axes to chop youse heads.
With 3 int and cha, you'd be equally likely to split your own skull. It would make you more or less unable to fight, and if I DID call you a dum-dum head, you'd likely go off and cry in the corner, you would be like the cyclops that couldn't, so to speak.

Whats wrong with rangers? I'm going to run one eventually... Animal Rage is fun and useful. Or not really. lol