Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2002, 04:33 AM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Gave up my first attempt, just could not find the damnable 4th piece of machinery, despite the use of the Alt key.

Now going for my second attempt, and while I have not completed it yet, I felt compelled to compare it to BG2.

Pathfinding:
------------

Yes! Yes, glorious yes! The pathfinding in this game is actually very good, and I rarely had to pull my hair out when a party member gets stuck( if ever).

IWD beats BG2 when it comes to pathfinding, I bet the IWD party will have no problem navigating Jon Irenicus's Dungeon, as opposed to the BG2 party.

Music:
------

BG2's music is kind of cheery and somehow, it rarely grips you( it has some good scores, like the one for Nalia's Keep). IWD's music is more engaging, as though it is taunting you, foretelling the dangers that you are going to face.

Part of this is because IWD is linear, so they can plan the appropriate music beforehand, whereas BG2 is non-linear. So it may not be fair to judge on this seriously.

Item Value:
-----------

In BG2, items that were non-enchanted, were practically 'garbage', and not even fit enough to be picked up and sold. In IWD however, you damn well was going to stuff each and every party member to their gills with anything that was sellable. In that sense, items felt more valuable in IWD.

Again... this may not be a fair comparision, and comparing this aspect against BG1 might be better, but the feeling is there.

Background:
-----------

IWD, kinda hard to beat. You should know why.

Storyline:
----------

BG2 finally triumphs in this one, as it has a very extended storyline spanning 4 games.

Party Members:
--------------

In BG2, right from the start, you were already ready to go a-bashing, but I suppose this is another unfair comparision, and BG1 will be a better indicator for this one, but I still cannot get the nagging feeling that characters in BG2 are godlike, while those in IWD are more realistic, and you actually feel dread when fighting hordes of low-level opponents.

Spells:
-------

No comment yet, I have not even used level 5 Mage spells yet, but I must say... I love the spell variety in IWD.

Kits:
-----

BG2 beats IWD like a twig here, backbreakers and all. I was a bit dismayed by the limited generic selection of classes to play.

*sniff* I miss the Archer, in fact... I could not really think of a reason to have a Ranger in my party... ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway... I am not bashing either games, I just wanted to express some opinions. After all, I still play both and enjoy both too.

Here is my current party.

Male Human Paladin( Halberd, Two-Handed Swords, Axes)
Female Human Fighter( Great Swords, Big Swords)
Male Human Fighter( Bows, Spears)
Male Halfling Fighter/Thief( Small Swords, Slings, Daggers)
Male Human Mage( Slings)
Female Cleric( Maces, Flails, Slings)

It is a very missile oriented party, with 3 full-time slingers and archer. Oh yeah... I really got annoyed when I found out that I could not dual-wield. I wanted my Fighter/Thief to dual-wield Daggers/Small Swords.

I wanted a Druid/Cleric actually, but I wanted to see what the high level spells are first, before going that route. Oh... and the game is not very friendly for Crossbowmen. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I think I have only found 10-15 bolts so far, the rest I will have to buy.

Oh... and that is another thing, so many enchanted weapons! Argh! I just cannot decide what to use!

Whew... I think I have said enough for one post already.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 05:33 PM   #2
Durwyn
Elminster

You cant compare IWD to BG, its two TOTALLY different games. We have discussion on this below, scroll down somewhere the topic is still here.
Old 01-23-2002, 12:47 PM   #3
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

BG2 non-linear ? Are you kidding me.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:09 PM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

At least in Icewind Dale you can use Anti-Magic Shell and Mind Blank, both probably two of the most useful spells ever created. In how many situations would those spells be useful in SoA? (not to say that I don't have those spells, but most people cannot.... [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img] )

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 07:55 AM   #5
Jim
Quintesson

quote:
I really got annoyed when I found out that I could not dual-wield

I'm a bit rusty on IWD, but IIRC, rangers are the only class that can dual wield. To do so requires the use of either a small or large sword and they must not be using a shield. They then recieve a bonus attack per round. Primitive compared in BG2, but I'd probably prefer an extra APR that a couple of points AC bonus.

quote:
Item Value

Also, I feel that enchanted items are also much more valuable in IWD. A standard +3 enchanted weapon in BG2 could cost around 6000, in IWD, expect to pay 30000+!
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 05:18 PM   #6
Therro
Dungeon Master

Dundee, I have one small piece of advice :

If I were you, I'd put 2 proficiencies into large sword! Wanna know why? :

SPOILER

Pale Justice!

^^ +4 Longsword that gives +7 damage/to hit vs. Evil oponents (and how many monsters in IWD are NOT evil? ;p )

I hope you enjoy IWD btw! Its a truly fun and remarkable game!
Therro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 08:19 PM   #7
thalali
Dungeon Master

What are the different races in this game?
thalali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 11:01 PM   #8
Darkman

quote:
Originally posted by thalali:
What are the different races in this game?

Human, Dwarf, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, and Gnome, just like in BG1 and also in BG2 (minus Half-orcs)
Old 02-04-2002, 07:22 AM   #9
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

quote:

Pathfinding:
------------

Try to increase the pathfining nodes in the setup, then you will see that both games will do. IWD´s maps are easier to navigate in though, less items and clearer areas. The elven hand tower though is excellent made.

Music:
------

IWD´s music is one of the best things with the game.

Item Value:
-----------

Well I have to disagree and agree with you here. The item variations in BG2 are better, and only with HOW expansion do you get the extra funny items.. IWD have some nice special armor and weapons but BG2 has the best items. With HOW you got scrollcase and gembag and the potionbag (wich bg2 don´t have..) but I think that they both comes out pretty good in the end, though BG2 wins this by having more interesting items. And the fine and wellmade weapons you won´t use after a couple of thousands of gold anyway..

Background:
-----------

IWD, kinda hard to beat. You should know why. Well, I had to leave your quote here. Read more books!

Storyline:
----------

BG2 has no comparison here in IWD, IWD is straight on slaughter the meanie kinda game, whereas BG2 weaves a tale.

Party Members:
--------------

And you jumped with cheerjoy the first time you faced an adamantine golem or hordes of vampires??

Spells:
-------

IWD has fewer spells then BG2 by far. Too bad actually, the mage is kinda "dull" in the IWD game, and the spell effects are not that nice either.. But no game beats Planescape torment with the spell effects!

Kits:
-----

Well not only the kits, two weapon fighting not present makes the ranger a pretty useless class. The ranger is in both games pretty weak as a power playing character, but great fo rthe roleplay value. The track feat at least did some good, but the detec evil from a Paladin still rocks..

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As conclusion, I like both games, but IWD is like the baldurs gate "diablo" version. But fun indeed, one thing I liked with both games were the great info in the books you could find. Geesh alot to read though but it really is great for a Tyril freak!
[/QB]

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 07:45 AM   #10
Therro
Dungeon Master

Grrr ... Don't even mention Diablo 2 here! Its NOTHING compared to any infinity engine game - Even IWD when it comes to roleplaying ..

Click Click Click .. Kills monster, Gets gold .. Finds an occulus because of 1000+ mf .. Jeez, this is boring, i've only found 32 of these

^^ Simplified example of Diablo 2.

^_^
Therro is offline   Reply With Quote