Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2002, 10:20 AM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I finished chapter 2 and right now I'm at chapter 3. Time for level up [img]smile.gif[/img] Now we are getting to level 12. Time to get some feats. No problem with my dwarf fighter and aasmir paladin but my bard, rogue, cleric and wizard are undecided.

I'm undecided about some feats. I'll be happy if you share your thoughts with me. All comments welcome.

EMRE HUMAN BARD

Current Feats:

Armored Arcana
Combat Casting
Lingering Song
SF: Enchantment
Spell Penetration

New Feats: 1 to pick at level 12, 1 more for level 15 = Total 2

SF: Evocation
GSF: Enchantment
WF: Crossbow
Luck of heroes
Iron will
Improved Critical
Lightning Reflex
Iron Fortifude

AMBER HUMAN CLERIC

Subvocal Casting
Spell Penetration
SF: Enchantment
Combat Casting

New Feats: 1 at level 12, 1 at level 15 = Total 2

Improved Critical (using crossbow & mace)
Lightning Reflex (clerics not good at reflex)
Luck of Heroes
GSF: Enchantment (cool)
SF: Evocation (my domain is lathander)

ALICIA HUMAN RANGER/ROGUE/FIGHTER

Current Feats:

Improved Evasion
Impreved Critical
Rapid Shot
Weapon Finesse
Bow Focus
Small Blade Focus
Iron Will (she always fail her will saves)

NEW FEATS: 2 at level 12, 2 more for level 15 = 4

-Dirty Fighting (Maybe useless, because if you score a critical hit, enemy will be dead already no matter if he's slowed or blinded

-Dodge: Only +1 AC? Not very useful.

-Lightning Reflex (but my reflex are good already)

-Luck of Heroes (+1 to all my saves, nice)

-Slippery Mind (That's the question! Does this spell effects ALL Enchantment spells or ONLY Command and Charm. If it effects ALL the MIND-EFFECTING spells, it's incredible. What's your opinion about it?
It helps to confusion too?

-Iron Fortifude

ZOLTAN HUMAN MAGE

Current Feats:

Combat Cast
Spirit of Flame
Subvocal Cast
Spell Penetration
GSF: Evocation

NEW FEATS (2 at 12, another 2 at 15= 4)

-SF: Necromancy (my bard is focusing on enchantment)
-GSF: Necromancy (so my wizard can focus on evo & necro)
-Aegis Of Rime (fine cold spells)
-Scion of Storms (only chain lightning, lightning bolt and ball of lightning, not very useful IMO)
-Aqua Mortis (lots of acid, toxic area spells)
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 07:37 PM   #2
Kygon-Jo
Dungeon Master

I am learning the feat system through trial and error.
for the amdes depending on your favorite spells. I took Spirit of Flame and Scion of storms.

My tanks have high strength and have Power attack and cleave x2. lots o damage.

My rouge has improved evasion, arterial strike and hamstring. I am not so fond of hamstring. I am tempted on the next level up to take slippery mind.

I completed the game in regular mode and am now trying HOF. It is much harder.

When I went through in regular mode i really screwed up my feat allocation. Sooooo when I went to HOF mode I imported my party. Dropped their items and made them again.I used the cheat codes to get their stats an exp where it was after the final battle. What I did do was a complete make over of my feat and skill allocations. I was so dumb in regurlar mode that I gave my ranger ambidexterity and two weapon fighting and he gets for free. LOL. Assigning skills to class that do not have that skill proved to be a bad choice. Especially disable traps. I made sure my thief had a good disable trap in HOF.

I know that I still have some to learn but I like the feats system and I am slowly getting better at it.
Kygon-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 07:38 PM   #3
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
For your bard maybe one of the saving throw ones, whichever you're worst at. Same for cleric. Luck of heroes IMHO is a waste. I would say either sf evocation or gsf enchantment, depending on how many evocation spells you cast. For your fighter/etc not dodge, AC's not that important. Maybe one of the saving throw ones if you need it. I never got slippery mind, so I dunno - probably if your saving throws were high enough you wouldn't need it? I would get improved initiative (for all actually). For your mage I would definitely get scion of storms. Yes the only useful lightning spell is chain lightning but this IMO is the best offensive spell in the game - hits lots of enemies and doesn't hit you. Does lots of damage too with sf evocation and scion of storms.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:20 PM   #4
Lord Corwin
The Magister

Zoltan

Kinda depends on how you plan on playing them. What kinda weapons you plan on using.... and skills needed for each class...

For your Bard... Luck of Heroes might be good. But if he is a mainly ranged fighter.. then obviously.. the crossbow would be a good choice... (always like it better than the bow).
If your using him as a tank... Lightning reflex,or Iron Fortifude might be a better choice... If your using him mainly for spell casting,and songs..perhaps.. evocation or enchantment..

Just my opinion.... I bow before some on this board.. who seem much more experienced than me.. in these games...

But a bit more info,on how you plan to play each of your characters,and what strengths... and such you want for each... would help any advice on wich feats you should pick.

Picking your feats.. kinda defines your player character.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:37 PM   #5
Yggdrasil
Dungeon Master

Give everyone Mercantile Background!!...or Strong Back, or Toughness...har har.

Seriously, though...I guess it depends on your playing style. IWD2 seems to be a hack'n'slash, so here's how I see it. Keep in mind I'm only halfway through the ice temple on my first game:

Bard: Luck of Heroes. Saving throw bonus rocks!

Cleric: either Luck of Heroes or Lightning Reflex.

Natureboy: Luck of Heroes or Slippery Mind. (To answer your question: I read the description to include only Command/Charm spells; it seems that 'enchantment' is just a synonym for spells. Hard to tell, since the manual SUCKS.) Dodge would be a waste, as I assume you've got a high Dex.

Wizard: either take Spell Penetration again (if you haven't) or else Aqua Mortis; that should make the Acid spells (Melf's, Storm, Cloud) perfectly lethal.

I don't have a single Human in my party, tho; aasimar battleguard, halforc barbarian/fighter/rogue, duergar fighter, elven ranger, drow wizard, halfling rogue/wizard. Gave the aasimar luck of heroes right off the bat (she's got lousy stats...I spread em around too much. Right now she's 14/10/12/14/18/16 with items...party leader). She used to die a lot. But for a first time party, what with trial & error, they seem to be doing very well.
Yggdrasil is offline   Reply With Quote