Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2003, 12:42 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Under older versions of Windows, I could find records of the sites I visited under the folder Temporary Internet Files. This folder seems to be gone under XP. Has it been renamed, and if so; where can I find it?
Old 06-02-2003, 12:48 PM   #2
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

At the top of IE, goto "Tools", then "Internet Options", then
"Settings", then "View Files". If you want to just see where you have been look in the "History" folder. It should be in your tool bar at the top of IE somewhere. FYI, you should keep your Temp internet file fairly empty. If you never empty it, it will build up and actualy slow IE down. Under "Internet Options" you can "Delete Files" there. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2003, 12:56 PM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
"Settings", then "View Files". If you want to just see where you have been look in the "History" folder. It should be in your tool bar at the top of IE somewhere. FYI, you should keep your Temp internet file fairly empty. If you never empty it, it will build up and actualy slow IE down. Under "Internet Options" you can "Delete Files" there. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Ok.. I've made it as far as "Internet Options", but there doesn't appear to be a settings tab. Perhaps we are using a different version of IE?
Old 06-02-2003, 01:00 PM   #4
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

I'm using XP and I can see my Temporary Internet Folder Folder. Its still at C\WINDOWS\
Old 06-02-2003, 01:02 PM   #5
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
Ok.. I've made it as far as "Internet Options", but there doesn't appear to be a settings tab. Perhaps we are using a different version of IE? [/QUOTE]Generals tab. Under Temp Internet Files click on the settings button. Then press the view files button.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:12 PM   #6
realbinky
Elminster

edit: I'm an idiot... The storage is under C:\Documents and Settings\?something? now, although I save no documents there. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Rimjaw, you are *probably* seeing a temp folder from a previous version of Windows. If it is current, I have no explanation why it is there.

[ 06-02-2003, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: realbinky ]
Old 06-02-2003, 01:15 PM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
This thread was a good reminder for me, you won't believe the amount of crap i just deleted from my temp files. Only things remaining now are the forum cookies.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:29 PM   #8
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by realbinky:
edit: I'm an idiot... The storage is under C:\Documents and Settings\?something? now, although I save no documents there. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Rimjaw, you are *probably* seeing a temp folder from a previous version of Windows. If it is current, I have no explanation why it is there.
Could be, my Win XP was an upgrade version. There's also a TIF folder under the pathway you mentioned, but its empty.

[ 06-02-2003, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Rimjaw ]
Old 06-02-2003, 02:34 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Documents and settings is used for user profiles. You probably have at least three -- administrator, all users, and your user ID. Your copy resides under your user ID.

One additional note for TIF: By default, IE wants to use something like 10% of your hard drive for TIF. That's generally way overkill for most people... I set mine down to whatever 200MB or so is...

That's a great way to get potentially a lot of space back if you need it.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.