Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2002, 01:18 PM   #21
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
Does anyone know of any good *free* popup killers ??
Thanks in advance [img]smile.gif[/img]
The most effective (and free) popup killer is the "disable javascript" checkbox in your browser.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:21 PM   #22
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
If Opera doesn't work properly then it's because there's a problem with the site, not the browser [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Like someone else said, if Opera doesn't work right it's the site, not the browser.

A lot of Microsoft HTML generation tools generate "broken" HTML, if a browser sticks right tight to the standards (which or course, Micro$haft ignores at will) it will likely have problems with a great many sites which rely on Micro$haft tools.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:31 PM   #23
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
quote:
The most effective (and free) popup killer is the "disable javascript" checkbox in your browser.[/QUOTE]Okay and how shall you could visit and see 80% precent of the internet sites if you do that?

[ 09-21-2002, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 09-21-2002, 02:21 PM   #24
WillowIX
Apophis

Just to add to the popup subject. Here´s an info site with some reviews of popup killers. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2002, 08:21 PM   #25
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
quote:
quote:
The most effective (and free) popup killer is the "disable javascript" checkbox in your browser.[/QUOTE]Okay and how shall you could visit and see 80% precent of the internet sites if you do that?[/QUOTE]90-95% of all internet sites work just fine without javascript enabled, and in most cases the remainder isn't much of a loss.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:56 PM   #26
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Call me mad if you will, but did you not all sign up to the adware aspect of these programmes at the point of installation?

Talking for myself, if it saves me some cash, and gives me access to a nice download manager prog for no outlay, then I've gone into the transaction with my eyes open. Read the EULA every time you install

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 09-21-2002, 11:42 PM   #27
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Like someone else said, if Opera doesn't work right it's the site, not the browser.
One thing: this is EVERY SITE I go to:
Ironworks, Pandemonium, The Silver River, Yahoo, Google, Geocities, Internet Express, MSN...

NONE of them display properly for me in Opera, most work perfectly in NETSCAPE. So, I doubt it`s anything but my computer not liking me using Opera.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:52 PM   #28
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
Call me mad if you will, but did you not all sign up to the adware aspect of these programmes at the point of installation?

Talking for myself, if it saves me some cash, and gives me access to a nice download manager prog for no outlay, then I've gone into the transaction with my eyes open. Read the EULA every time you install
None of the documentation for anything that I installed mentioned adware. But ad-aware picked it up as spyware.
And I *realy* have to be careful of this sort of stuff; I have information on my computers that I definately don`t want public. Things like my email addresses- I want to have control over who knows them, so that I know who I can expect mail off [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-21-2002, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]