Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2002, 04:38 PM   #11
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

There seems to be a strong ant-semitic trend in Russian history. For example, see this article on pogroms.

Sadly, the predudicial attitudes of one generation still appear to be poisoning the next . Durwyn, I would suggest that you consider the worth of individuals rather than racial stereotypes as a basis for your interactions with your fellow human beings. Believe me, life will be a far more rewarding and pleasant experience if you do.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Mouse ]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 01-17-2002, 04:42 PM   #12
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

I thought we had a pretty good thread going with the whole what is an american thread, scronan since you are a mod. . . do you know who deleted it or why? everyone was tolerate and polite of the opinions of other in the thread from what I saw. I was also just curious what happened to it.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:08 PM   #13
Sigmar
Unicorn

quote:
Originally posted by Scronan:
Rikard_OHF quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Sigmar:

Legolas I don't know if you've noticed (because I didn't until I looked under his name, I thought he was a newbie at first) but Scronan is a moderator, not trying to be a smart-ass or anything just pointing it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being a Mod dun mean you know everything about the forum hun

True enough! Sometimes I have trouble even turning my computer on. Since I work as a computer technician I tend to get my co-workers to do everything for me while I sit and play Everquest all day. (wait, no that's my supervisor that does that, *chuckle*).

But I do know how to navigate the forum, come on guys, give a person the benefit of the doubt, eh? I think y'all are a little harsh on the "newbie" thing, there was once a guy at the Wizards and Warriors forum in the early days that everyone harshed on since he talked about some of the game dynamics and how it was made.

Turns out, he was one of the original graphic designers and had worked on a large part of the game, it was pretty funny when he mentioned who he was, a lot of people were embarrased for being kind of mean to him.

I don't think its the number of posts that count, but the quality of what you do post. We all make mistakes, that's how we learn. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Best

Scronan

Rikard-Good point.

Scronan-I didn't mean newbie in a disrespectful sense I just meant he may not know what some buttons are for, I didn't know how to quote until 2 months had passed. Scronan sorry and yo're right it's all about quality not quantity.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:13 PM   #14
Thoran
Galvatron

There was no prejeudicial post in the other thread... only a broad generalization regarding American schools. There was certainly nothing illegal in any of those posts.

Rant...

In point of fact, Durwyn's post in this thread is certainly prejudiced and crass but not illegal. He is free to feel what he wants and we are free to disagree with him. The moderators are also free to delete this thread based on a single post... but I would submit that censorship is not always the right path. This country is obsessed with correctness and censorship these days. I long for the day when "Political Correctness" dies a slow agonizing death... it's long overdue. As Americans we have the RIGHT to have any opinion we'd like to have, the "Political Correct" movement is an attempt to tell people what they can think... and it's every bit as wrong as the bigots it attempts to censor.

Some of the most oppressed conformist places in this country are our Universities, due to the notion of "Political Correctness". It really is Ironic that the institutions credited with changing so many of the outdated standards of behavior in this country are responsible for some of the worst conformity bias that we've EVER seen.

.../Rant

breath... so... I'm still curious if there WAS something biased enough to break the board rules (which I've read... but as with all things, standards of conduct are living things and open to the interpretation of those who enforce them)
Old 01-17-2002, 05:30 PM   #15
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

hey I'm nearing 400 posts and I still don't know how to quote or change colors so by definition Im a newbie
Old 01-17-2002, 05:37 PM   #16
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

actually im pretty far from 400 posts but ill get there some day if I keep trying [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2002, 05:41 PM   #17
Durwyn
Elminster

Prejudice post? Oh please... Mouse, you say I'm racist?

My friends, I know Russian-Jews, I know the way they live and how many Americans by looking at them think that thats what Russian people really are.

My point was to say that no, thats not how Russians are.

Mouse simply if you dont live or never had experienced with Russian-Jews then please dont tell me that I'm prejudice. I mean really, you have no idea what these people are like. If you knew, you'd change your mind rather fast my friend.

Yes Sookma, that is not the proper way of an Orthodox Christian. (BTW I never heard of Orthodox-Jews? I dont think there is such a thing).

And Thoran, yet again, you think my post in that thread was predjudice or offensive? You never been where I've been, so dont say I'm prejudice. You live close, come down to Brooklyn see what its like living in a place ran by immigrants... I cant even explain it, you'll just have to experience to believe me. Its all in experience my friend. You have no facts or experiences to prove me wrong or say that I'm prejudice.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:57 PM   #18
Thoran
Galvatron

Durwyn your post was absolutely prejudiced... 100%... if you open Websters dictionary you might find they've revised the definition to point to your post as a excellent example of Prejudice.

There is no way that you personally have met EVERY Jewish-Russian out there... it's simply not possible. Given that fact, if you personally make a statement about ALL people of Jewish-Russian decent (which you did) without knowing them all PERSONALLY... you are prejudicially judging the 99.95% of Jewish Russians that you have not met based on the 0.05% you have.

I on the other hand have not met ANY Jewish Russians... but of course I'm not the one judging them, so I don't really need to know them to say that stereotyping them is wrong do I? Even if I came down to Brooklyn and met all the same bunch that you know and dislike... I would STILL not feel empowered to condemn them all based on the small sampling that I've met. Why? Because that's prejudiced.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Thoran ]

Old 01-17-2002, 06:10 PM   #19
Durwyn
Elminster

If you would have read my post closely you would have noted that I said "MOST" of Russian-Jews. I worked in restaraunts on Brighton Beach a.k.a. Odessa Number Two. Trust me, I'vet me a WHOLE LOT of Russian-Jews, so I do have enough facts to say what I've said.

EDIT: Yet again, if you dont even know or have met Russian-Jews why are you even defending or saying that I'm prejudice, jeez man, you dont know the people, just step off.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Durwyn ]

Old 01-17-2002, 07:02 PM   #20
Thoran
Galvatron

step off? lol...

I am not defending Jewish Russians in any of the posts I've made, I'm saying that your post was prejudiced against a group of people... becuase it IS. No you did not say "ALL"... what you said is "MOST". Now you may be a real congenial guy who meets a lot of people, but I just can't believe you know even "MOST" of the Jewish Russians out there.

What you did in that post is degrade a LARGE group of people when you could not possible know them all and know that Most if not all are "bad people".

The funny thing is that the only person I defended in this thread is YOU... I defended your right to be prejudiced against Jewish Russians, even though I disagree with you.

The reality of freedom means sometimes you end up defending things other people do that you dislike.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Thoran ]