Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2003, 02:35 PM   #1
Oruboris

Need some advice, not directly related to the game, sorry...

I'm looking for an AFFORDABLE new system, this one is getting really unstable. I'm surprised that relatively few computers now have AGP slots, and so many have 'shared video memory' or 'integrated agp 4x' cards built in.

How well do these built ins work? Are seperate cards no longer necessary? I've found an e-machine with an open agp, and have seen Geforce cards at pretty low prices. Will this yeild better overall gaming perfomance?

Obviously, I'm not looking for [can't afford] real state of the art. I want a machine that will run current titles reasonably well, with some room for growth. I like RPGs and some FPS, like wolfenstien and deus. I don't do any online, as my dial up is too slow. Hope this will change when my area gets DSL next month.

Oh, and is 256k really enough memory with WinXP, or should I consider 512 the minimum? Does pushing that to a gig really help anything, game wise?

Any help gratefully apprecieated!

Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:42 PM   #2
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Oruboris, I have been doing a lot of researching and purchasing as I have been upgrading my computer. You have good questions. I would say that you would get tons more responses if you put this in general discussion, but here goes.

The first and most important question is, How much can you spend? This will dictate future options. I learned a long time ago that it is better to save than it is to gratify now and wind up weeping later.

Second, do you know someone who can build you a computer rather than buying a whole set-up from the likes of Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Dell, and Gateway? If you do count yourself blessed. It is far less expensive for a GOOD working model and a whole lot wiser to buy by the piece. This not only my opinion, but many people's opinions. This way you can build the computer you want. I bought a brand new Asus V9280/TD AGP 8X 128 meg Video Card (Asus also make high quality motherboards) for $135.00 from NewEgg.com with free shipping. I got a Pentium 3 1.2 Ghz chip for less than $100.00 from Googlegear.com and it had 2nd Day Free Fed-Ex shipping. In both cases I paid no tax.

What I am getting at is if you do the research, take your time, and search the web you will be able to build the system you want. I don't have the highest end system but neither is it low end. I got good - very good - high quality components and my system can take anything thrown at it -- a least for now.

Stay away from shared memory! If you can, get a motherboard without built in sound and especially video. However, it is becoming very difficult to find the latest motherboards for both Intel and AMD processors that don't have built-in sound. However, this sound can be disabled and you can get a SoundBlaster sound card.

Go with 512 megs of RAM for XP. RAM does make a difference. Make sure it is quality RAM By the way, how is your system becoming unstable? What is it doing? Have you scanned the disk and defragged the harddrive? Have you done a virus scan? Below are tech sights I highly recommend for your education. You won't understand a lot but your knowledge will increase in time:

www.resellerratings.com - tremendous sight for customer ratings of online computer retailers. Has a list of the most reliable and trustworthy vendors online. Also has a search engine for every computer part you could imagine. Check out their community forums and read about everything concerning computers from making choices to correcting problems.

www.tomshardware.com - Great site for industry news, reviews, as well as a forum. Very up-to-date in content.

www.AnandTech.com - another good site in the same vein as Tom's Hardware. Also is very up-to-date in industry content.

Hope this helps.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:47 PM   #3
Mister Natural
Manshoon

For gaming you definitely DO NOT want a system with on board video. So you can forget about any of the specials offered by Dell or Gateway. For a gaming machine you definitely want a pc that has an AGP slot.
Regarding memory with Windows XP. 256 is a bare minimum. 512 is adequate for now. Memory is cheap and depending on the type of memory you can get a 512 meg chip for under $100 dollars.
A couple of suggestions. You say your pc is unstable. You should list your specs and someone could advise if you need to upgrade or possibly just a couple of items to replace. If your pc is unstable, reformat and do a clean install.
If you want to look at good prices on gaming machines, take a look at http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm
Old 05-17-2003, 03:41 PM   #4
Oruboris

Thanks for the help!

You pretty much confirmed some of my suspicions re.: video, etc... the salesmen I've talked to all either insist the onboard savage video is all I'll need, or suggest I order a custom system at considerable added cost.

Currently running an athalon 550 with 256, and voodoo video. Pretty sure the instability is a software issue related to Win 98se. I have a LOT of important records on it, and I don't feel very good about trying to re-install anything without a good backup, but not all the backups to floppy and zip I've been trying to make have been working. Defragged regularly, but I haven't updated or run my virus defs in a while.

Seems emachines is the only company that still uses mobos with agp on a regular basis, so I've been leaning in that direction. Sadly, don't know any one I'd trust to build a system from scratch. Might try it myself if I felt like my current system had a couple of months left in it, but it has hung up everytime I've tried to shut down for a few weeks, and Explorer either crashes or hangs most every time I try to exit it, too.

Again, thanks for the help-- Ironworkers are the BEST!

Oru
Old 05-17-2003, 05:50 PM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I have Windows 98SE and the stability is fine. Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a CD-R/RW CD-ROM drive. You can get a good one at great prices. Then burn all your important information to CDs. That way you don't have to worry about losing anything. Your Athlon CPU and Video card are definitly low end by today's gaming standards.

I agree with Mister Natural, do a clean re-install after all your important information is saved to CDs. Also, I agree with him about the RAM. Back in February I bought 512 megs of 133 Crucial Technology RAM (excellent RAM by the way) for less then $100.00 and they were having a special free 2nd Day Fed Ex shipping. Like I said before, be patient, do your research, and good things will come your way.

Warning: eMachines are cheap because many of the components are cheap. Just because the motherboard has an AGP open slot is little consolation if the MB is low grade quality.

Again, let us know how much uyou can spend and maybe we can help you.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:37 AM   #6
Oruboris

Seriously, can't tell you how much I appreciate the input!!!

Took a look at some of the emachines reviews, found them a little scary: I had no idea...

I'll try making some cd backups of the documents, photos, etc. that I'm so concerned about saving. If that works, will do a clean install of 98se, and if THAT works, put off buying an all new system till fall.

Currently wanting a new kayak badly, and want to have enough cash to get my paraglide p2 license this summer [which, of course, means a new wing...], so if I can put off the pc a while, so much the better.

OTOH, if it doesn't work out, the custom systems on ibuypower look really good for the money. I'd like to keep it under $1000, if I can, and all the options re.: different video cards, etc. will take some research if I'm gonna get maximum bang for my bux.

So, any reccomendations of must haves [in terms of memory, HD...] good value video sound and cards, etc, most welcome! Am assuming ddr400 is in that category, and probably a gig of memory, a geforce with 128mb ddr, and at least a mid level sound blaster...

And thanks again: you've saved me from a very pricey mistake, I think...

Oru

[ 05-18-2003, 05:50 AM: Message edited by: Oruboris ]
Old 05-18-2003, 05:58 AM   #7
Oruboris

Seriously, can't tell you how much I appreciate the help!!!

Took a look at some of the emachines reviews, found them a little scary: I had no idea...

I'll try making some cd backups of the documents, photos, etc. that I'm so concerned about saving. If that works, will do a clean install of 98se, and if THAT works, put off buying an all new system till fall.

Currently wanting a new kayak badly, and want to have enough cash to get my paraglide p2 license this summer [which, of course, means a new wing...], so if I can put off the pc a while, so much the better.

OTOH, if it doesn't work out, the custom systems on ibuypower look really good for the money. I'd like to keep it under $1000, if I can, and all the options re.: different video cards, etc. will take some research if I'm gonna get maximum bang for my bux.

So, any reccomendations of must haves [in terms of memory, HD...] good value video sound and cards, etc, most welcome!

And thanks again: you've saved me from a very pricey mistake, I think...

Oru
Old 05-18-2003, 06:57 PM   #8
Nastymann
Elite Waterdeep Guard

By all means stay away from E-Machines...true garbage! Why don't you try to go to Maximumpc.com home page and click on forums then sign up for the free forum. Once that is done click on Free Clinic and post your need for a new gaming rig and give a price cap. You will receive many posts with good suggestions.
Try to find a program on C-Net.com or Zdnet.com called regclean.exe, it is written by Microsoft to keep your registry straight and prevent crashes...I use it on Win98se and it works! If you can get your hands on a copy of Norton Utilities load it and use Windoctor to fix any problems in your operating system, between this progie and regclean you should be fine for a while. I use both programs and my PC runs fine.
I just built a system for a friend for 700 bucks.
CPU XP2700 (Retail box) 333 fsbs
Asus A7N8X motherboard 333fsbs
Western Digital 40 gig 8 meg buffer Hard drive
Lite-On Burner
Floppy
Enlite case 300 watt power supply
Asus FX5600 video card
Rebuilt 19" Flat tube monitor
Optical mouse
Keyboard
512 megs of Kingston Value ram (2700) 333 fsbs
This system runs on win98se and is fast. Hope this helps

Nasty
Nastymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 09:07 PM   #9
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Nasty, nice job, man, on a really good gaming system for under $1,000 bucks! I see you are an Asus man like myself. I just love their quality. And you did right with the memory and the harddrive. You gave an excellent example to what I was trying to tell Oru about researching and finding quality by the piece rather than systems from Dell, Gateway, etc. Too bad you aren't anywhere near him so you could build him one.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:37 PM   #10
Greystone
The Magister

Hey guys--I have built two custom jobs for people in the past three months, along with completely rebuilding my personal system recently (runs Morrowind smooth as silk, absolutely no slow-downs, even on loading). One of the systems went to a friend in NY and we had no problems at all. Shipping is not that bad, really, especially when I get like 40% discount on UPS where I work.

The best site for components that I have found is www.newegg.com hands down. They offer the best pricing (P4 2.4G for $160 with free 2-day FedEx is a good example) I have found anywhere on the net, and their customer service is flat out great. Using components from NewEgg, I could easily build a gamer's dream system for well under $1000, even including a NEW 19" flat-tube monitor. I could even install your current hard drive in the new system (if you sent it to me) or simply walk you through putting it in the new box (as I did for my [nearly computer illiterate] friend in NY), which would allow you to keep all your files with no issues at all.

Drop me a line if you are interested and I can price one out for you.

--Greystone

greystone@carolina.rr.com
Greystone is offline   Reply With Quote