Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2003, 11:48 AM   #21
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
As for the topic of this thread, shame on you! Like IronDragon I expected one of your usual well-phrased serious posts... I fell into the trap immediately after you posted it, but wouldn't give you the satisfaction of knowing you'd fooled yet another IW member.
Uh, Mel, I think you just did. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img] But, as usual, you are correct. Shakespeare wrote Modern English. All that "quaint" part originated in the early 19th Century with Sir Walter Scott and his imitators.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:56 AM   #22
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Uh, Mel, I think you just did. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
LOL, I know - I meant when I first fell into the trap (immediately when the thread was posted), I didn't post then.
But as you never cease to remind me, I'd never leave the chance for a good "nitpick". [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2003, 09:26 PM   #23
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:

As I pointed out to Mouse (in amateurish Old English), it was an experiment in human curiosity
Pet peeve alert...
What you wrote was modern English Cerek - you wouldn't be able to produce Old English (not even amateurishly ) since superficially, it doesn't resemble modern English at all - though you probably would be able to make sense of some of the words. [img]smile.gif[/img]
People often call "Shakespeare's English" or language with thee's, thy's and thou's Old English but that's almost as inaccurate as calling Italian Spanish.

Here's an example of old English, from one of my favourite poems, to demonstrate the point

Leodum is minum swylce him mon lác gife
willað hy hine aþecgan gif he on þreat cymeð
Ungelic is ús.
Wulf is on iege, ic on oþerre
fæst is þæt eglond, fenne biworpen
sindon wælreowe weras þær on ige
willað hy hine aþecgan gif he on þreat cymeð
Ungelice is us.

As for the topic of this thread, shame on you! Like IronDragon I expected one of your usual well-phrased serious posts... I fell into the trap immediately after you posted it, but wouldn't give you the satisfaction of knowing you'd fooled yet another IW member
[/QUOTE]I stand humbly corrected, Melusine. Thank you for pointing out my error. Now I've learned something from this thread (in addition to having fun with it ).

BTW, I've sent you a PM I would like you to read (as time permits).
Old 06-01-2003, 10:37 PM   #24
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
LOL, I know - I meant when I first fell into the trap (immediately when the thread was posted), I didn't post then.
But as you never cease to remind me, I'd never leave the chance for a good "nitpick". [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I'd be upset if you did. In fact, you missed a couple that I intentionally left as bait. Oh, well, better luck next time and sleep well.