Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2002, 05:24 PM   #1
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

I have noticed that most people seem to assume that Guenhwyvar is male. But after recently reading The Dark Elf trilogy and now being halfway through the Icewind Dale Trilogy I have realised that Salvatore have never mentioned the cats gender, when ever he talks about the panther he never refers to it as a He or a She(I maybe wrong but I never remember a reference to gender). So why does every one think its male.

I know that this is a bit of a sad thing to post but I am curious as well as very, very, very bored.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 02:59 AM   #2
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

i've read the first six and i don't remember any references to the big cats gender.i'll ask my nephew.he's read all of them,he might know.
khazadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 05:01 AM   #3
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Guenhwyvar is a female name though. I never read any of the books, but I always assumed it was a she for that reason.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 09:46 AM   #4
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Unless specifically specified, cats, like ships, are *always* female. I can't remember it being mentioned one way or the other so I assumed this rule applied to the IWD trilogy as well.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:30 AM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>She is female.
I have proof.
Go to this site, if you have Acrobat reader, and read a special short story of her creation.

It will be on page 7, and onward...

You are going to ...excuse my language...shit a golden brick when you read it!</font>
wizards.com</font>
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 12:04 AM   #6
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
<font color=skyblue>She is female.
I have proof.
Go to this site, if you have Acrobat reader, and read a special short story of her creation.

It will be on page 7, and onward...

You are going to ...excuse my language...shit a golden brick when you read it!</font>
wizards.com</font>
<hr></blockquote>

Crap there is an error when I open it, I have adobe acrobat reader though so it cant be that.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 10:40 AM   #7
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

oh... no wonder it likes Drizzt a lot
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 04:02 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Do not despair...I am in the process of arranging for you to see it.

Hold on...
Old 03-02-2002, 04:22 PM   #9
Wedin

Ha, ye art all wrong! Guenhwyar is a male!
On page 172 in The Crystal Shard, when Wulfgar encounter the panter, Drizzt explains that "he" is a friend.
Old 03-02-2002, 04:30 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>Here it goes...I could not copy off of the Adobe Print Master, so I printed, scanned to Word, and then copyied here. And for the guy that posted just now before this message...take note that this document was made by R.A. Salvatore (after) the Crystal Shard...so it is either a mistake in the book, or Salvatore changed his mind...either way, the following is the most recent story.</font>

GUENHWYVAR
R. A. Salvatore

Josidiah Starym skipped wistftilly down the streets of Cormanthor, the usually stem and somber elf a bit giddy this day, both for the beautiful weather and the recent devel-opments in his most precious and enchanted city. Josidiah was a bladesinger, a joining of sword and magic, protector of the elvish ways and the elvish folk. And in Cormanthor, in this year 253, many elves were in need of protecting. Gob-linkin were abundant, and even worse, the emotional turmoil within the city, the strife among the noble families—the Starym included—threatened to tear apart all that Coronal Eltargrim had put together, all that the elves had built in Cormanthor, greatest city in all the world.
Those were not troubles for this day, though, not in the spring sunshine, with a light north breeze blowing. Even Josidiah’s kin were in good spirits this day; Taleisin, his un-cle, had promised the bladesinger that he would venture to Eltargrim’s court to see if some of their disputes might per-haps be worked out.
Josidiah prayed that the elven court would come back to-gether, for he, perhaps above all others in the city, had the most to lose. He was a bladesinger, the epitome of what it meant to be elven, and yet, in this curious age, those defini-tions seemed not so clear. This was an age of change, of great magics, of monumental decisions. This was an age when the humans, the gnomes, the halflings, even the bearded dwarves, ventured down the winding ways of Cormanthor,

[ 03-02-2002: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]</p>