Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2003, 05:05 PM   #1
espeed
Dungeon Master

Would it be in my best interests to NOT summon a crap load of creatures as it seems they all eventually get mass dominated and turn on me

I figure i should do it like this, its gonna be my 10th try at this fight. Keep my cleric away from things, because hes my only chance at resurrecting my dead guys when ive finally scared I&M off, I find that i ressurect about 2-3 times during the fight in the first room on most occasions and then stupidly lose my cleric to poison attack from Islair?(spelling), i cant move coz hes got me stunned as well. My sorcerer generally survives by sitting back and chucking powerword kill and horrid wilting on madae which is how i get them to run off, so i wont change anything there, i have thought about using all her time up casting lower resistance on Islair so he can maybe take some damage. For some reason i find it very difficult to harm Islair. My tanks are paladin/fighter/barbarian and i have rouge who tends to die quite quickly. My tanks all have a go at dying at least once only to be resurrected for a second go. Im also using my cleric to throw power word kill and holy word into the fray.

Things i have going are mass speed/might/rage/recitation.

This is a big ramble but what im getting at is i need advise on other things i could try as an alternative, at 10 goes, im losing a little faith in my own ideas HAHAHA.

thanks.

[ 11-26-2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: espeed ]
espeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 05:09 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

OK, mass heal is the best spell for a good cleric in this fight. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to use mass domination if you can. Summoning a crapload of creatures is ok, but Isair is a sorceror(AFAIK) and he can turn them on you. Use spell-disruptive spells like anti-magic shell, creeping doom and the like. What's your party?
Old 11-26-2003, 05:37 PM   #3
espeed
Dungeon Master

I am using mass heal which helps alot, but when those two start swinging their swords its kinda hard to keep up, i have lots of resurrection spells which do a full heal at the same time, so im not terribly worried about party members copping it. Ok ill stop summoning the creatures, ill just stick to the one level 9 beast which is usually a greater werewolf hehehe. Unforuntatley i do not have mass dominate on my sorcerer and my cleric is not yet up to level 9 spells.

Is the anti-magic spell a group spell, or does it just cover the caster? Can you explain creeping doom to me, i dont have the manual near me at the moment.

My party are a bunch of brutes apart from my cleric/rougue and sorcerer, im not able to access the game right now, but from what i can remember, my paladin is 15 or above in strength/dexterity/constitution with wisdom quite high as well i believe - my fighter is high in strength/dexterity/constitution and same with my barb with added wisdom i think......my sorcerer has charisma at about 23 which gives nice punch to her spells......
Old 11-26-2003, 05:48 PM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Cast anti-magic shell on Isair, and he can't access spells untill someone disspells him. First cast disspell, then anti-magic shell and then attack him with your fighters. Spells won't work on him because of the shell, but a blade will cut him fast without his fireshields and resillient spheres.
And as for Madae, I don't know why, but she's never been a pest in any of my games. If your paladin has the Fiendslayer and Heretic's Bane, she's in deep trouble, being dragon and cleric. Just beware her Blasphemy spells. It's the most irritating spell there is. Your party stops cold for a whole round, no save.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:08 PM   #5
espeed
Dungeon Master

If i can remember, dispell was a level 3 spell and anti-magic field is about level 8, ok ill give this a go and see how i go. Madae has never caused me problems either but yes you are right about that toad of a spell she uses hehe

THose swords do not sound familiar to me, but i have most probably picked them up from somewhere, ill check my holding bags for them, if i had picked them up though, youd think id be using them huh? maybe i missed them......

wouldnt it be a good idea to throw dispell and anti magic on both to possibly stop reverse dispell?

[ 11-26-2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: espeed ]
Old 11-26-2003, 06:20 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Heretic's Bane and Fiendslayer are feats. The former gives you bonus when fighting clerics, monks and pallys, while the latter gives you a bonus when fighting wyrms, dragons, driders, half-dragons and the like. As for the idea for dual shields and dispells, it's OK if you can afford it. There are some pretty usefull level 8 spells, and a pally can ditch infinine dispells from the Holy Avenger.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:41 PM   #7
espeed
Dungeon Master

oops, they sounded like weapons, i definately dont have those feats for my paly, so i guess im screwed in that department.......i dont have the holy avenger either, where do you find that thing, its to late for me anyways.....
Old 11-27-2003, 04:19 AM   #8
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

The Holy Avenger sword is the paladin's strongest weapon, and it involves the second biggest, hardest fight in the game. When in Dragon's Eye, just before the Magma levels, you picked up a Necklace of the Lost Followers. With it, you're supposed to go to Kuldahar, the graveyard and find the grave of some guy called Elhd. Leave the necklace there, six enemies described in the necklace will appear. They'll be very hard. Very. The Holy Avenger(large sword) appears on the grave.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:47 AM   #9
espeed
Dungeon Master

Exclamation

damn it! cant believe i missed that.......well i managed to whip the tails of I&M just now, it seemed that Isair was fending off all my attempts at dispelling him, so in the end i decided to sacrifice some of my guys and i simply threw in mulitple horrid wiltings which did the job, i was able to quickly despatch Isair in the next room for a pretty drab ending.......