Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2003, 12:40 AM   #11
kartetse
The Magister

Sorry Dundee, one last question. How do you know how much Enchantment a weapon has? THAC0 is easy because it states it explicitly, but now I have a weapon with THAC0 +3 and 25% chance of this type of magical damage (let's say fire) and 25% chance of "hold person" being cast on the assailant. How would you know what the enchantment levels would be? Would it matter if it's a large sword or a great sword? Etc.

BTW. I don't want to try your patience (although, I probably am doing so already!), so if you can point me to some comprehensive resource I'll gladly do my own reading upping!

kartetse

---------------------
do da do, kick da goo and stay outta da zoo...
kartetse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 01:21 AM   #12
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The general rule of thumb (meaning this is not always the case) is to follow the name of the item. For example,
Quote:
Glory Sword +2

THAC0: +3

Damage: 1d8+1
The sword is therefore +2 enchanted and has a THAC0 bonus of +3.

If you want to be absolutely sure, fire up a game editor (Dalekeeper for example) and check the values.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 01:58 AM   #13
kartetse
The Magister

MAN, that helps a lot! Thanks, mate! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

kartetse

---------------------
Old 11-26-2003, 09:39 AM   #14
TL
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi there, thanks for the explanation on enchantment. I thought it was bonus thaco when I saw the +2 or +3. Well , she's dead and buried and I've been in Severed Hand, getting lost, confused and beat up. My battle tactics aren't what they should be, so when attcked by large groups, I am certainly overwhelmed. This is the first time I've ever played and I'm just starting to be able to control my team as individuals. Can't find the 1st piece of machinery yet, but I'm so lost, I might be in the wrong place.LOL. The Holidays are closing in on me and I'm not able to play as much as before. I'm the person who decorates, shops for the gifts, cooks and bakes so that everyone has lots to do when they come to visit.keep the board alive if I disapear for awhile, I'll still be reading the posts and grabbing a bit of time to kill monsters!All is well...
TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 10:04 AM   #15
NobleNick
Quintesson

kartetse,

I have found, as Dundee said, that the enchantment level is often given in the weapon name (e.g., "hammer +1," "flail +2" and "sword +3"); but is often not apparent from the name (e.g., "Conlan's Hammer," "Misery's Herald" and "Pale Justice"). TYPICALLY (not always) the THAC0 bonus is the only stat explicitly given, and the enchantment level is assumed to be the same. IF the enchantment level and THAC0 bonus are NOT the same, the weapon's status/history sheet will tell you; otherwise, enchantment level and THAC0 bonus are equal: a "sword +2" has an enchantment of +2 AND a bonus to THAC0 of +2.

So, to recap, THAC0 bonus (if the weapon has one) is always given in the stat sheet. If a weapon has a THAC0 +2, you may assume it also has an enchantment level of +2 unless the weapon stat sheet explicitly tells you otherwise.

A fourth attribute that a weapon can grant is bonus Attacks per Round (ApR). This is a very valuable and somewhat rare bonus. I think Dundee mentioned this earlier or in another thread; but did not bring it up in his last post.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!

[ 11-26-2003, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 12:54 AM   #16
kartetse
The Magister

Thanks, NobleNick! You've answered the question I had after Dundee's great help and last night's play. I'm now facing Malevon and she is one tough cookie ...I'll search the forum for some tips...mmm, I like this game!

kartetse

---------------------
Old 11-27-2003, 09:35 AM   #17
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by kartetse:
Thanks, NobleNick! You've answered the question I had after Dundee's great help and last night's play. I'm now facing Malevon and she is one tough cookie ...I'll search the forum for some tips...mmm, I like this game!

kartetse

---------------------
btw, she's a he... I mean he's a he.... I mean Malevon is male...

One tactic is to hide in the little room next to the circualr one, create summons and fight off anything that Malavon sends you. He himself will be happily teleporting here and there... Finally when his buff and teleports run out he will come to you and will be easy kill...
And oh, you can also put some area effect spells in the circualr room/
Old 11-29-2003, 06:22 AM   #18
Midget Gems

Hey, I'm over in IWD2 and I just met Malevon again, wow.

I remember this is one of the most interesting fights in IWD and there are several good ideas to be found in the old posts, but my advice is - stay in control. If you can fight on your own terms, where you call the shots, then you can get the better of him and his helpers.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:23 PM   #19
kartetse
The Magister

Now I have the Malavon T-shirt on my back! The man is cooked and I'm the chef! . I've also won 3 more badges after his, but am now looking for the last one of the six - any ideas where I might find the last one?
Thanks all of you for your help sofar!

kartetse

---------------------
Old 11-30-2003, 09:14 AM   #20
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by kartetse:
Now I have the Malavon T-shirt on my back! The man is cooked and I'm the chef! . I've also won 3 more badges after his, but am now looking for the last one of the six - any ideas where I might find the last one?
Thanks all of you for your help sofar!

kartetse

---------------------
It might have helped if you have given the ones you already have but lets see if i can remember all of them. But first SPOILER
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
Badege 1 : orog chieftan in Dorn's deep. Enter the cave just to the left of the room with the dwarven statues.
Badge 2 : Joril the frost giant. Repair the bridge at the temple area (the one with all the frost salamanders). One of the slaves has a book on how the repair bridges. Get it and walk up to the bridge. It will be repairde immediatly. Cross it and enter the cave (this is the one most people miss)
Badge 3 : Malovan (lower Dorn's deep)
Badge 4 : Marketh (palace lower Dorn's deep)
Badge 5 : Maiden Illmadia (fire giant area lower Dorn's deep)
Badge 6 : brother Perdium (temple lower Dorn's deep)