Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2003, 07:28 AM   #1
OLAF TRYGGRYSON
Dungeon Master

Last night I finally Got to Burial Isle in HOW. What an eye opener. For so long my pc's have been the baddest thing in the Dale. All of them 13th level including my mage and thief. I am so used to rolling over the opposition without much effort that I was completely taken by surprise when both my mage and thief died at the hands of barrow wights. Approx. 3.25 mins had elapsed since my arrival on the isle. The baddies are much faster, stronger, and smarter than the original. I most definately need to think first and fight second from here on out. I do hope it stays this challenging....
Old 11-20-2003, 07:58 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

You will think the Barrow Wights are hamsters as you progress further into HoW and/or TotLM. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:11 AM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

Hamsters! ROTFL!! I would agree. Good one, Dundee!

Olaf, The "good" news: Actually, Burial Isle is one of the hardest parts of HoW (relative to your party's capabilities); and, after B.I., things lighten up for a while. However, it never gets too easy.

The "bad" news is that the hardest part of B.I. is yet to come. This was the first area where I HAD to use "raise dead;" because no amount of reloading would get me victory without at least one party member biting the dust.

Here is a hint for the barrow hamsters --er, I mean wights-- and most of the other nasties you'll find on B.I.:
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Used correctly, a Cleric is a big, BIG asset in the wight fights: makes the encounters tough instead of next to impossible. In fact, all of B.I. seems to be tailor made to make life extremely unpleasant for those that did not bring a high level Cleric.

TotLM? Now there's where you'll find your challenge (if you haven't yet). You'll need lots of Cleric power or a Bard or, preferably, both.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 11-20-2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:14 AM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Actually Dundee I found Burial Isle to be the toughest part of HoW... the rest will be easier... Now ToTL on the other hand is more difficult and in some places too difficult.

EDIT: I see NobleNick types faster

[ 11-20-2003, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 11-20-2003, 10:39 AM   #5
OLAF TRYGGRYSON
Dungeon Master

Thanks all, at least there is light at the end of the tunnell. I did try to turn em but was totally caught by surprise. I won't be again thats for sure. Tonight they die along with all their little friends. What is this ToTL? is it tougher than HOW? should it be played before or after HOW? is it worth downloading? Sorry for all the ?'s I just love getting really high level characters, so any way to get those exps up, is something I cant miss....
Old 11-20-2003, 10:58 AM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

Olaf,

Trials of the Luremaster (TotL, TotLM) is a free, 72MB, official BIS add-on usable only by owners of HoW. After you install IWD, HoW and TotLM (in that order) IWD is completely patched (no other patches needed, in U.S.A. at least).

TotLM was added on to HoW by BIS, because reviewers (and gamers) were raking them over the coals for HoW having a relatively short additional adventuring area. More adventuring area, provided by TotLM, removed the only complaint against the excellent HoW expansion.

There are 2 ways to do all of IWD/HoW/TotLM:

1.) Play IWD completely. Then take your characters, which are auto-exported just before the last big fight in IWD begins, and begin HoW. From HoW, enter TotLM by accepting an offer from Stubbletoes, at the Inn in Lonelywood. Finishing TotLM returns you to Lonelywood (HoW); and finishing HoW is then the end of the entire game. Problems with this otion include: loss of gold and all containers (e.g., scroll cases, potion bags and jewel sacks) and their contents when characters are auto-exported from IWD.

2.) (My preference). Play IWD to very late game (see below). Travel to Kuldahar and accept invite to HoW. Play How to mid-late game (see below). Travel to Lonelywood and accept invite to begin TotLM. Play TotLM and return to Lonelywood. Finish HoW and return to Kuldahar. Finish IWD.

You probably already know that the best place to enter HoW from IWD is just before meeting _______ _______ _______ and getting transported to _________. (Blanks, so as not to spoil others who might read.)

Once in HoW, the best time to take Stubbletoes up on his offer (which begins TotLM) is just BEFORE taking up _______ on his offer of a boat ride to the ___ of ______ ___. Once you accept this boat ride, you never again get the chance to speak to Stubbletoes (in that game). (BTW, there are at least 2 very interesting things happening back in Lonelywood after you are offered the boat ride; so, even if you are not planning on doing TotLM, turn down the first invite, and return to town.)

HoW and TotLM will pack huge amounts of expo onto your characters. My Bard, in a party now (I guess) a bit less than halfway through TotLM (which means they are also over 2/3 of the way through HoW), is (IIRC) about level 17. Another character in the party is a DC Fighter(10)-->Thief(15).

Of course, if you want insane levels of expo, leveling AND challenge, just play on Heart of Fury (HoF) mode, which is available to all owners of HoW. I've been told that DC character levels of 30/30 are easily obtainable.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 11-20-2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
Old 11-20-2003, 01:42 PM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

try this link

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/iwd/info/luremaster/
Old 11-21-2003, 07:20 AM   #8
OLAF TRYGGRYSON
Dungeon Master

Thanks Nick & ZFR for the info. I havent taken the Boat ride yet so I should still be able to accept said offer in Lonleywood. I will most definately get the down load this eve after work. BTW Nick Your suggestion concerning Clerics was awesome...it allowed me to fly through BI practically unscathed. Thanks again......
Old 11-21-2003, 10:42 AM   #9
NobleNick
Quintesson

Glad to help, Olaf. (Heh, heh, heh. Another satisfied customer.....)

Hey! Did you get ALL the way through B.I. "practically unscathed?" If so, then now you can teach me something: How did you do THAT in the barrows?

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
Old 11-21-2003, 12:47 PM   #10
OLAF TRYGGRYSON
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
Glad to help, Olaf. (Heh, heh, heh. Another satisfied customer.....)

Hey! Did you get ALL the way through B.I. "practically unscathed?" If so, then now you can teach me something: How did you do THAT in the barrows?

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
I doubt I could teach you anything,It was your suggestions that allowed me to get through it all. I did get damaged here and there but not killed. I had both of my High level clerics use your suggestion, my mage use AOE Spells, thief archer fighter throwing axe Fighter crossbow. I skipped the armor thingie, and had a dicey time with all those wailing virgins around the sarcoph.But for the most part everyone just ran away and I picked em off piecemeal. Which IS my favorite way to fight 6-1.