Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2003, 04:37 PM   #1
warnie
Dungeon Master

where every one gives thier view but it makes for good reading(sometimes) LMAO

1) druid or cleric and why or why not.

2) is a Paladin really worth it as say per another fighter type.( i do have one , but i dunno sometimes lol}

3)what spells are the best to have memorised for both cleric and mage?

4)how many multis should a party have and why.

these are some of the things that plague my thoughts at times , so i f you can offer any relief , go for it....

ps. i wouldnt wanna see a lizzies version of a big mac!
warnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:16 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

1) druid or cleric and why or why not.
Either, both have healing spells, Cleric is better for undead fights, however a druid is not defenceless against Undead, Druid has powerful offensive spells, and can eventually shape change into powerful elementals, as an extra bonus after awhile they never tire. I like both classes but if I had to pick I would go with the druid, offensive spells, shape change (Elementals).

2) is a Paladin really worth it as say per another fighter type.( I do have one , but I dunno sometimes lol}

I would say no, unless you are going with a small party, would like the best combo of a cleric and fighter without having to multiclass.

3)what spells are the best to have memorised for both cleric and mage?
(I will answer later)

For me depends on the size of the party.
5 to 6 no need for multis to take advantage of experience and develop each class to there full potential
3 to 4, I would go with 3 multis, and for the 4 member party the 4th member would be a bard.
1 to 3 members everybody would likely multi

[ 11-18-2003, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 01:36 AM   #3
kartetse
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by warnie:
2) is a Paladin really worth it as say per another fighter type.( i do have one , but i dunno sometimes lol}

3)what spells are the best to have memorized for both cleric and mage?

I like my Pally! He's a real winner with the swords and bows. He works in a pretty nice combo with my two dwarf/fighter/clerics! He's also the strongest with over a 100 HP currently. We actually manage to move some dirt quite fast! As for the spells, Ahzanazzer's Scorcher, fireball, Snollics snowballs, magic missiles, stinking clouds, so far...the most useful is the fireballs - there like modern day incendaries, y'know, bombs...

PS. In this post I don't take responsibility for spelling...
PS. Fixed up some spelling/typo's but I cannot for the life of me remember how to spell the A... Scorcher...

kartetse

---------------------
do da do, kick da goo and stay outta da zoo...

[ 11-19-2003, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: kartetse ]
kartetse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 06:50 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Two spells come to mind, although both only exist with HoW installed.

Vitriolic Acid Sphere and Mordenkainen's Force Missiles.

A Paladin is a must in my party, because they can have the best AC in the game, not to mention access to the best weapon, and for the icing, they can be a backup Cleric with their Clerical spells and Turn Undead ability. As a pureclass, they will also be able to level up faster than a Fighter/Cleric and hit better than a Fighter->Cleric.

Not to say that I don't have Clerics, but it is a Cleric/Ranger. This is always my party setup.

Paladin (the sole tank)
Cleric/Ranger
Fighter/Druid
Fighter (uses Bows)
General Mage
Bard

I play on HoF Mode, so I can afford the party of six.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 06:52 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Oh, I forgot to mention Melf's Acid Arrow. Very deadly level 2 spell.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:55 AM   #6
kartetse
The Magister

Quick question, Dundee. May I assume that if my Mage cannot write a spell to her Magic Book that it would fall inside her opposing schools' domain? She is specialized as an Invoker(not to sure that was the best choice but it, alas, is too late to change now...)

kartetse

---------------------
Old 11-19-2003, 08:29 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

There are only three reasons why a Mage cannot scribe a scroll to his spellbook, and the game will usually inform you why.

1) Nothing happens, but the scroll is still there. This is most probably due to opposing school reasons.

2) You get a message that says you have reached the maximum limit for that spell level. Solution, drink potions that increases your INT and try again.

3) The scroll disappears but the spell does not appear in the spellbook. This means that your Mage has failed to scribe the scroll properly. Solutions include drinking potions to increase INT (success will never be 100% though), or if you really, really, really want the spell, reload.

If the scroll is high level, and beyond your Mage's current memorisation ability, there will be penalties to your chance of success too.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:13 AM   #8
kartetse
The Magister

Yar but the button which states 'Write magic' is available with about 2/3 of spells and not for the rest?

kartetse

---------------------
Old 11-19-2003, 09:50 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Plain IWD: The two opposing schools for an Invoker are Enchantment/Charm and Conjuration/Summoning.

With HoW: The two opposing schools for an Invoker are Divination and Conjuration/Summoning.

If the "Write Spell" button is not there, this could be the reason.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:08 PM   #10
Lymond
Manshoon

1. I prefer a druid, because of the offense abilities that Pritchke mentioned above. The healing powers of the cleric have been great, but I have a bard with War Chant of the Sith, so I don't need them anymore. I'm not a huge fan of turn undead either, because it takes away from fighting time, and you're going to have to fight the guy anyway at some point. I'm still waiting to see someone blow up by it, however. Does anyone have a screen shot of that?

2. I'm not that impressed by the Paladin. I'm playing one now, but I don't like the turn undead feature, her healing ability is insignificant (although fast), and I don't think Pale Justice is that great. She deals out similar damage figures as my other two fighters, so how can it be the best weapon in the game? Am I missing something?

3. Best spells is one of those things people could argue for years about. The ones I find I use most often are: haste, summon elementals, fireball, prayer, the scorcher, that exploding snowball one, tensor's transformation, disintegrate, fire and acid arrows. I find many of the close-in spells are too slow and get interrupted.

4. Multis increase the number of places that experience points get distributed, so you always have to keep that in mind. Six multis is like having twelve people, so you'll level up too slowly. That's why my latest experiment is a bunch of dual classes.

Lymond