Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2004, 11:11 PM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

I switched to a new catalog at school, and they added an information systems class that all business students at the school have to take (a new requirement in the state of Texas). This class is designed to give the student basic experience with Microsoft Windows and Office (Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint specifically). It is a web-based course, so no classes; you do all the work on your own (love that immensely). However, before I walked in, I was under the impression that it would be tailored to meet the areas I was weak in, since it says in the catalog that the student "would have the opportunity to work in areas that they are insufficient in". I know Windows, Word, and Excel well, and Powerpoint decently, so I was expecting extra work in Access, my weak area.

However, we met on Saturday for our only meeting (to get the access code to the website), and I discovered that the entire thing is standardized. I guess the "opportunity to work in areas that I am insufficient in" is the ability to go back and view the thing again if I don't understand, as everyone has the same information out on the web site. It took me until late last night to get the thing running (bugged out bad with my personal firewall, but fixed the problem), and started to watch the online modules that we are required to watch. I just got done watching all of the stuff having to do with web browsers. Oh My God, this stuff is BORING!!! I just sat through modules discussing how to use the Back button, how to type something in the Address line, etc. I realize that there are people out there that know absolutely nothing about computers, but many of us do have knowledge about this most basic stuff. None of it got more advanced than how to do a basic search. I was just staring at the screen, and I could just feel the drool starting to go down my lip.

And the worst part is that I can't drop the class, at least not without screwing with my financial aid. I found out after the first day that I could have challenged out of the class, but you had to sign up for that before the beginning of the semester (great time to tell us). I guess they knew pretty much everyone would have done that, and wanted to justify the enrollment.

So, tomorrow I'll be watching such fun things as very basic instructions on using the Start button on the taskbar and using icons on the desktop. If I get on tomorrow and start typing like I was an autistic child, it's because the stuff pretty much lobotomized me.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 01-23-2004, 11:16 PM   #2
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Don't view it as a problem. See it as an opportunity to pad your GPA.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:28 PM   #3
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by antryg:
Don't view it as a problem. See it as an opportunity to pad your GPA.
LOL...good point. I've been a straight A student for 3 years now, so I guess I can use a breather. Besides, I'm taking a corporate tax class along with it (taught by a tax attorney, so he gets VERY in depth about tax law), so may be a blessing in disguise.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 01-23-2004, 11:36 PM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL, antryg's got a point, Nerull! Although I know what you mean about taking courses that are all things you already know. I've had a few computer classes like that! Starting with how to turn on the pc is always a sure sign I'm going to be surfing the net for an hour.

Good luck with the classes and don't get too complacent, sometimes they pick up and add things you didn't know that could be useful. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2004, 11:40 PM   #5
Nerull
Lord Ao

Ah, but the thing is that the lessons are set by the politicians in Austin rather than the school, so everything is set in stone. I also have to view each and every one of the modules on the specific subject before I can take the test. In other words, I have no choice but to go through all of the subjects, even if I know the subject already. That's the bad part; if I could just skip the lessons and take the test that would be great. That's why I (really not jokingly) stated that I would be study about icons on the desktop. I meant it!
Old 01-23-2004, 11:43 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

eef...well, you can practice your patience and meditation skills! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2004, 03:43 AM   #7
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

But surely if you know it all, then you can take the test without watching it all?

Even if they add something that you didn't know... it won't affect your mark too much...
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Old 01-24-2004, 08:16 AM   #8
Nerull
Lord Ao

Letter

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum Kerr:
But surely if you know it all, then you can take the test without watching it all?

Even if they add something that you didn't know... it won't affect your mark too much...
Actually, the modules are preset lessons on their website. As you complete them, it marks it off as "Completed". You have to get all of them on "Completed" status before you can take the exam. Thus, you are stuck watching them all.

Of course, I could just hit the Next button while in the module to skip to the next screen inside the module. Thus, I could just "fast forward" through them. I'll probably try that today to see if it works.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:18 AM   #9
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

bring a book?

play games in another window?
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Old 01-24-2004, 08:19 AM   #10
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum Kerr:
bring a book?

play games in another window?
LOL...Exactly! Still annoying to pay them money for this... [img]smile.gif[/img]