Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2002, 03:16 AM   #31
whacky
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
I dont understand how people can get emotionally involved in something like BG2
Hmm, thats true except in 2 cases, when your characters cant find the way and 2nd when they dont do as you say and act really really dumb. That's when i get really frustrated. The one thing i find great about playing solo is that the frustration level is a lot lower and your character does as you want it to do, doesnt act like a !@#$%#$
Old 07-18-2002, 05:05 AM   #32
lroyo

The most emotionally involved I've got in a game would have to be Thief or System Shock 2. Normally I just really enjoy playing games, but these games..well they just scared the absolute crap out of me. If that's not emotion, I don't know what is!

I always played them late at night, with the lights out, and the sound cranked up! Many times, I ended up literally shaking. The Cathedral in Thief got me so panicked that sometimes I stood at a door and couldn't get myself to open it. Great stuff!

Old 07-18-2002, 09:58 AM   #33
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Good thread Whacky. I agree with those who mentioned Final Fantasy as the most emotional games. In Final Fantasy 7 when Aeris died I'm not ashamed to admit I cried and also in Final Fantasy 8 at the end when you see Squall and Rinoa together I also cried in 9 at the ending I nearly did. Whacky you've never played Final Fantasy games? You really should give them a try there excellent games although 8 isn't quite as good as the others. I've just bought 10 but haven't got much of a chance to play it yet as my brother is always on his playstation 2. Still I'm looking forward to it.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:17 AM   #34
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well I get emotionally involved... why... it is called ROLEPLAYING.

I play NHL 2000 or whatever... and I get pissed at my team cursing them lalala... and then the opponent scores a goal... wham. THere goes the chair...

That's just the problem... sometimes I can get violent... it only happens when I am alone... [img]smile.gif[/img]

BG games are not that bad... you can reload... but Diablo... sheesh... I hate it when my merc dies out of stupidity and you near-death since I play Hardcore... gives me a heart attack... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2002, 10:19 AM   #35
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Zarr:
Good thread Whacky. I agree with those who mentioned Final Fantasy as the most emotional games. In Final Fantasy 7 when Aeris died I'm not ashamed to admit I cried and also in Final Fantasy 8 at the end when you see Squall and Rinoa together I also cried in 9 at the ending I nearly did. Whacky you've never played Final Fantasy games? You really should give them a try there excellent games although 8 isn't quite as good as the others. I've just bought 10 but haven't got much of a chance to play it yet as my brother is always on his playstation 2. Still I'm looking forward to it.
Yeah! I nearly cried with Aeris too... but then I didn't... but Ii was like an obsessed man watching the movie again and again and again... and eery single time I couldn't breathe... and I kept thinking, "She is gone... no one to lalalal... no more lalala..." man I looked like a dumbass but hey... I am alone and lonely that time too
Old 07-18-2002, 10:35 AM   #36
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I was kinda happy to get rid of Aeris, she got on my nerves a bit. And anyway I'd have chosen Tifa for Cloud, not the "flower girl" [img]tongue.gif[/img] Cloud annoys me amazingly much, he's the dumbest character in the group and you HAVE to have him in the party all the time.... Sheesh, couldn't even......

*SPOILER*

Tell Tifa that he had feelings for her.

Should've had Vincent as the main character instead. Far cooler.

I'd also like to agree with those who say that they can't get emotionally involved in BG2, didn't affect me in the least, that game. I couldn't even bother to roleplay my character properly, all I wished for in that game was that I'd meet Elminster like in BG1 so I could kill him.

The FF games are quite a bit better at getting me emotionally involved.

About the fear thing I can only mention one game: Morrowind.

It's so damn creepy sometimes. You're sneaking through a crypt, searching for a skull, you know that there are undead here, you know that they could be around any corner..... And to add to that there's sometimes spooky mist that suggests something paranormal going on.... Not to mention chanting. There's spooky background chanting. I hate those bloody crypts.....
Old 07-18-2002, 07:49 PM   #37
whacky
Emerald Dragon

It feels so good that so many people replied to my post. Thanks a lot guys......... but still that cant be everyone or can it?
Old 07-18-2002, 09:45 PM   #38
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I get quite attached to all my chars...my GF laughs at me when they die ... come to think of it... sometimes I think I may care more for her...naaaaaa... [img]smile.gif[/img] I liked Minsc enough to kill of his witch .... and I do swear aLOT at the npcs that don't do what I like. So I guess I get attached. But not enough that I've considered suicide if they die (reloading is SO much easier).

[img]smile.gif[/img]

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Old 07-19-2002, 12:16 AM   #39
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Like some of you have said, Final Fantasy VII was great. I loved Tifa. I liked Aeris, but Tifa was my true love!
Still, I would have to say that the most emotionally involved I have ever been with a game was with the original Lunar, or the Sega CD. I will have fond memories of that game forever. I picked up the remake for Playstation and it was quite good, too. I thoroughly enjoyed Lunar 2, but I have never connected with any group of characters the way I did with Alex, Luna, Nash, Kyle, Jessica, Mia and Nall... Great characters, great game...
Sigh
Old 07-19-2002, 08:13 AM   #40
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Blah! In the end Tifa and Cloud ends up together anyways...

Anything-wise BUT the chemistry, I'd say Tifa is better for CLoud, but I think Aeris has this connection with Cloud that Tifa doesn't have.. IMO.

NO, I have never considered suicide mind you all... LOL I may get nasty but never thought of killing myself over it...

And I think Squall is still the dumbest meanest person ever to be starred in an FF series... [img]smile.gif[/img]