Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2003, 08:56 AM   #1
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

my dwarven fighter/cleric imported from BG1 has con 20 after the tome... what does con have to be to get regeneration, and how can I achieve this goal other than cheating ? (he also has wisdom 21 after all the tomes [img]smile.gif[/img] , can I make this higher as well ? I have ToB)
Old 03-20-2003, 09:00 AM   #2
Annatar
Mephistopheles

IIRC, you would naturally regenrate when your Con is 20 or higher... not sure about it though...

Second question, Machine of Lum the Mad (not sure) and the Wrath test in the Abyss (Good path +1 wis & Intel)
Old 03-20-2003, 10:26 AM   #3
Link
Jack Burton

Annatar: isn't that the general rule with Constitution? I mean; there are some rules in the rulebook that are ignored in Baldur's Gate (such as the 20 constitution makes you regenerate, and something like that)

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:40 PM   #4
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Annatar: isn't that the general rule with Constitution? I mean; there are some rules in the rulebook that are ignored in Baldur's Gate (such as the 20 constitution makes you regenerate, and something like that)
Tghere are some rules ignored by Baldurs Gate II, but regerating due to CON is not one of them.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 11:38 PM   #5
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

The regeneration at 20 CON would be a little tough to see. It is, after all, one point every 6 turns, i.e., one point per hour. That means you would only get back one point every five minutes of real time. That would be darned easy to miss, and may even be hard to notice bouncing the map, since that might be 16 hours/points or so...
Thorfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 04:24 AM   #6
Jim
Quintesson

Hmmm, I don't know about 1 point per 6 turns. In my experience, it has been 1 point every 6 rounds.

AFAIK, natural regeneration works as follows:

• CON 20: 1 hp per 6 rounds
  • CON 21: 1 hp per 5 rounds
  • CON 22: 1 hp per 4 rounds
  • CON 23: 1 hp per 3 rounds
  • CON 24: 1 hp per 2 rounds
  • CON 25: 1 hp per round
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 07:32 AM   #7
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

thanks people, anyone know for sure about getting more con ? how does the machine of lum work anyway ? I never did figure it out
Old 03-21-2003, 09:20 AM   #8
Lord Demerol
Dungeon Master

Karlosovic... if you're still playing with TDD, there's a ring, the "Aegis of Torment" that raises CON by 3. It can be bought when Ellesime sends you back to Candlekeep.
Lord Demerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 11:49 AM   #9
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
Hmmm, I don't know about 1 point per 6 turns. In my experience, it has been 1 point every 6 rounds.

AFAIK, natural regeneration works as follows:

• CON 20: 1 hp per 6 rounds
  • CON 21: 1 hp per 5 rounds
  • CON 22: 1 hp per 4 rounds
  • CON 23: 1 hp per 3 rounds
  • CON 24: 1 hp per 2 rounds
  • CON 25: 1 hp per round
Maybe true in BG. I never had a character with that high a CON. But I have the 2nd Edition Players Handbook in front of me as I type, and the chart on page 15 has the exact same progression you list except that it is in turns, not rounds. In 1st Edition, I believe it is only listed in Deities and Demigods, and on page 7, it has the same chart, turns, not rounds. In other words, in AD&D, high CON will never get you within an order of magnitude of the regen rate of trolls. But then again, the AD&D Ring of Regeneration does only one point per turn, and also brings characters back from the dead, as long as the entire body isn't destroyed by fire or acid or something.
`
Is it listed anywhere in the BG2:SoA manual? I couldn't find it, though I did give it just a cursory scan. It is not listed in the table that gives the bonuses and penalties for attributes.
`
I suppose it is a concession to the CRPG, though. Unfortunately, the BG super-butch "of regeneration" items really eliminate a lot of reasons to bother having a cleric along. It would be nice if there was some kind of a middle ground. With a ring of regen or two, your cleric needn't take a single healing spell. Without them, he can take nothing but healing spells.

[ 03-21-2003, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Thorfinn ]
Thorfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 06:01 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I can confirm that Regeneration is on the order of rounds, not turns. True, there are no NPCs who naturally Regenerate through CON in BG2 (and by the time you get yourself that high, you'll already be toting around Regen items of your own), but remember Kagain back in BG1? He had 20 CON, and while his Regen wouldn't do jack to save his life in a fight, all you had to do to get him back to full HP (and he had a LOT of HP) was Rest, or move to a new map area.