Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2003, 03:40 PM   #1
Andypandy
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How do you attack, effectively, and kill these things? I have had considerable difficulty with the latter and have left certain areas unfinished because I am unable to kill them.
Andypandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 03:53 PM   #2
finalf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

where are you? that information would be helpful.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:58 PM   #3
The Lilarcor
Elminster

Well it doesn't matter where he is because there are usually narrow places where those golems can't get to. Basically they can be hit with +3 weapons or higher, just make sure the fighter has a lot of resistance. You could try summoning bears and other animals, the bears have been of some help. Also Fireball or some other spell which deals elemental damage will hurt it.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:07 PM   #4
Buster_Wiz
Dungeon Master

Well, for a very simple way to kill them.... take a notice at their size, they are freaking huge. Use this to your advantage and trap them in a doorway, when they are stuck in the door, simply use a ranged weapon or a two-hander to outreach them. using this method it is pretty darn simple to kill them, they can't hit you and you can simply hammer away at them. Make sure to have a +3 or better weapon though, nearly everything else is useless. If you are a solo spellcaster, just send a bunch of (hasted) Mordy swords after them. It may take a while, but it'll work
Buster_Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 04:16 PM   #5
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Don't waste magic on Golems, they have 100% MR and will thus be immune to 99.9% of all spells in the game unless you lower the resistance [img]smile.gif[/img]

Iron and Adamantite Golems can release an annoying Poison Cloud which forces you to save or take some serious poison damage for a few rounds, so only move in with people protected from poison or very good saves. They all deal pure physical damage, so moving in with a Fighter/Mage or a Ranger/Cleric or Druid with Stone- or Ironskins to absorb their blows will work like a charm.

Spells are useless against them, weapons with special effects are not though. CF can and will stun them, FoA can and will slow them etc etc. Both of them have heavy physical resistances, but brute force is still the only option vs them, make them target a stoneskinned guy first and then hack away with everyone and everything you got. Neither Iron nor Adamantite Golems will be harmed by less than +3 Weapons, so check your available equipment.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:47 PM   #6
Link
Jack Burton

Minor Spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
The first Iron Golem you encounter (the one in the De'Arnise Keep), is easily dispatched of, by using the obtained weapon in that little room against it. You can get the Warhammer +1, +4 against Giantkin over there (without awakening the Iron Golem, but the Flesh, Sand and Stone Golems shouldn't be a problem) and whoop his ass with it. Be sure to have Stoneskinned (or Ironskinned) the wielder of the warhammer, so you will be immune to its attacks. Piece of cake that way "Golem chunks! Golem chunks! Only 25 gold pieces a chunk! Come and see!" [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:54 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Who OWNS those Golems, anyway? I don't think the Trolls can make them, but the Yuan-Ti Mages might.....and, since they're guarding weapons that were presumably placed there by Lord de'Arnise, why the hell can't Nalia command them to attack the Trolls? An Iron Golem ally would be one heck of an asset against Improved TorGal, to say nothing of the Umber Hulks.

While I'm on this tangent, how did TorGal & Co. manage to get down to the dungeons without opening any of the secret doors or obtaining the Keep Key?
Old 03-11-2003, 08:14 PM   #8
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:

While I'm on this tangent, how did TorGal & Co. manage to get down to the dungeons without opening any of the secret doors or obtaining the Keep Key?
They arrived there first... burrowed in. Like, that's what the Umber Hulks were there for, right?
Old 03-11-2003, 09:19 PM   #9
Imrahil
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
Who OWNS those Golems, anyway? I don't think the Trolls can make them, but the Yuan-Ti Mages might.....and, since they're guarding weapons that were presumably placed there by Lord de'Arnise, why the hell can't Nalia command them to attack the Trolls? An Iron Golem ally would be one heck of an asset against Improved TorGal, to say nothing of the Umber Hulks.

The "layout" of the de'Arnise hold has bothered me a bit, too (well, OK, a very little bit). Say TorGal & cronies did burrow in, why haven't they stumbled upon Umberlee... I mean Nalia's aunt yet?

How did Daleson even get to the Umber Hulks to find out they like dog? If they moved down there post-feeding (ignoring the whole "why is the aunt still alive?" question), how & why are the secret doors rehidden?

Why didn't Daleson just leave through the secret door to the outside? he obviously knows that's how Nalia sneaks out...

Why the heck is the family Chapel behind a secret door anyway?

Who designs a castle with only one staircase to level 2?!? and then one hidden staircase from level 2 to the basement? and the means to open the drawbridge is... on top of the drawbridge?!? I'd fire the captain of the guards for that alone, much less not being able to hold a castle against a few dozen Trolls with an armory full of Arrows of Fire & Acid & the FoA presumably right at hand!

*ahem*... ok... back to suspension of disbelief... time to go find a dragon who keeps easily accessible Dragon Slaying items lying around... oh, wait... [img]smile.gif[/img]

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 09:24 PM   #10
Son of Osiris

The best way to kill an Adamentine is to use the Flail of Ages with another magical blunt weapon (like, double weapons) and then watch them fall to their knees...um...wait a minute. They won't HAVE any knees! [img]graemlins/evilhaha.gif[/img]

[ 03-11-2003, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: The Whackmiester ]