Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2001, 01:03 PM   #1
Nydlari
Manshoon

Does anyone else think Wizardry would make a great MMORPG? It already has a more developed history than a lot of MMORPGs, and the character developement is much more open ended than most so it wouldn't turn into a FPS after a month of play, like EQ and DAoC. I know personaly the Wiz demo has been so much better than DAoC that I've all but quit playing DAoC.

This might also provide a better business model for Sir-Tech, since the revenue from an online game would be more consistant than a single release game. They wouldn't have a gap in funds waiting for the next release like they do now. They would have to get enough finacing to get through the developement cycle, but most MMORPGs get released in a much less polished state than a CRPG so the developement costs of an online Wiz would be less than a Wiz 9.

Since there is at least one Wiz developer hanging around, maybe we can get them to look into the idea if we can show enough player interest. If you like the idea of a Wiz MMORPG, add a reply and show your support.
Nydlari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 01:05 PM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I like the general idea of MMORPGs, and a Wizardry MMORPG in particular, but I would never play one since I would have to pay to play.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 01:13 PM   #3
Nydlari
Manshoon

Neb, I hope you payed to play 8? [img]smile.gif[/img]
I know that isn't what you meant, but considering that most MMORPGs are about $10 a month and most of time games are about $40 and are generaly replayable for less than 4 months, I would consider a MMORPG a bargain if I could find a good one. Unfortunetly the ones I've tried so far haven't been, but I think Wizardry could be.
Old 12-02-2001, 03:46 PM   #4
vesselle
Hathor

hey neb

how's your head? need anymore duct tape? LOL!

we missed you here! i haven't seen you, so assumed you went to other climes (like GD, etc) so you wouldn't have to put up with everyone crowing over having W8.

i only got mine, finally! so, beleive me, i know what its like to be wizardry-less when everyone else is playing like mad.

you'll be getting yours soon, woncha? and then you'll be back, right? i hope so. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

V***V

Old 12-02-2001, 04:00 PM   #5
Neb
Account deleted by Request

quote:
Originally posted by vesselle:

you'll be getting yours soon, woncha? and then you'll be back, right? i hope so. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

V***V

I doubt I will, be getting Wizardry 8 soon that is.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 08:20 PM   #6
Amaron
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Whats wrong with paying to play I've never understood anyone having the argument that no game is worth paying to play [img]smile.gif[/img] . When I'm not playing an MMORPG I buy at least 1-2 games a month which costs 50-100 bucks. If I'm playing an MMORPG that keeps me occupied so I only pay 10 bucks a month. Seems cheaper to me. Also developers actually get the money they deserve with a game like this. Part of the reason companies like sirtech go out of buisness is they only get like 2-4 bucks profit off of a retail single player game. So they have to sell tons and tons of copies to make up for the development cost. Sadly most of the reason they get such a pitiful amount is due to the way the retail outlets jack them over by requiring advertising for shelf space and what not.

That's why your starting to see some online games that you can get for almost free (Lineage). In the end the money they make ends up being enormous in comparison to even the best selling games on the market. This is why everquest is the most successful game ever (alltho I'm not sure it even deserves to be successful). I havn't checked lately but I'd be willing to bet that Everquest alone has made more profit than every final fantasy game ever produced. I don't even want to comprehend how much money Lineage(a game with 2 million subscribers at about 15 bucks a month in Korea). With profits like that I wish wiz 8 would of been an MMORPG just so they could still be in buisness and planing wiz 8..9..10 ... etc.

Amaron
Amaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 09:17 PM   #7
vesselle
Hathor

~~amaron~~

please remember something. you and i and other gamers in the us and canada are extremely lucky. we get broadband connections that are "cheap" and we can stay online 24/7 if we like.

it's not like that in europe and asia. i have friends in singapore, who don't even have dialups in their homes. they go to internet bars, and hookup their laptops and go at it. even tho it's extremely expensive for them, singapore has one of the world's liveliest online community with tons of mmorpgs.
{that's prolly one of the reasons LordBritish (Rich Garriot of Ultima/Origin Systems) has inked dev deals with Singapore companies. the man with the plan sees the future in online gaming.}

europe is another matter entirely. the euro players i have talked with can only afford to go online a few hours a week. it's expensive, a family has one line, and it's basically used for telephone calls. remember? it used to be like that with us, too.

just food for thought. americans are some of the luckiest people in the world, but please remember that what we take for granted is not available to many outside of north america.

V***V
Old 12-02-2001, 10:34 PM   #8
Mage of Mystra
Dungeon Master

I really don't see how they can make this, even though it'll be cool. I mean, almost all the mmorpgs are 2d and not 3d games.
Mage of Mystra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 02:34 AM   #9
Vader
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes, wizardry as an onlinegame would be really great! The story of Wizardry is just great and if they manage to implement as many cool stuff into the online game like in Wiz 8 I am sure they could even make a lot of money with it (ever say the calendar of the Umpani girls [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Oh, and btw, at least in Europe there are cheap broadband connections for internet, and it is getting better here every day. And even low bandwide connections if you dare to use AOL

Vader
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 05:16 PM   #10
Nydlari
Manshoon

Mystra? All the new MMORPGs I know of are 3D. DAoC is, and it's fairly high quality ('bout the only thing in the game that's high quality.) Frankly though, I'd take a 2d Wiz in a sec over most 3d games. I still replay 7 a lot, and it's only 2d 256 color.