Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2002, 04:41 PM   #91
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Americans live in patriotic paradox. The major Totems revolve around our fierce independence. The one thing that binds us all together is that nothing binds us all together. Freedom and equality for all - even though they are quite mutually exclusive ideals when you get down to it. But, it has been pointed out by finer philosophers than me that the world's most profound truths are found in the balance of paradoxes.

Oh, hell, I'm just rambling now. Did I mention that the problems all boild down to the nature of the ewords making up the term mankind: mank and ind?
Old 10-29-2002, 04:57 PM   #92
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Hey, MagiK, Europe hasn't really done anything imperialistic or such in recent times. BUT, the US has done such things as supporting terrorists and wrecking nice governments when it suited them in more recent times. I believe that neither country can claim moral high ground.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:12 PM   #93
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Hey, MagiK, Europe hasn't really done anything imperialistic or such in recent times. BUT, the US has done such things as supporting terrorists and wrecking nice governments when it suited them in more recent times. I believe that neither country can claim moral high ground.
Oh, I think we could find a few examples of lingering European imperalistic behavior, especially where wrecking nice governments might be concerned. Realistically, because the UK is in bed with the US in so many situations of that ilk, it seems impossible to avoid.

But, I will certainly agree with you that neither one can claim moral high ground. Which is why this is not a pissing contest about whose government is better, but rather about how Europeans view Americans.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:27 PM   #94
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
Anyone that watches the news will see that people hate America.
Only thing I hate about America is DAMN MICROSOFT! Grrrrr......*as her system crashes again* the @$$holes will pay for this.[/QUOTE]I am not aware of any Americans who like Bill Gates. Unless they work for him. $$$$[/QUOTE]Hey, don't bash uncle Bill now ! [img]graemlins/hidesbehindsofa.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2002, 06:06 PM   #95
Charean
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Did I mention that the problems all boild down to the nature of the ewords making up the term mankind: mank and ind?
ROFLMAO!! Oh yes... now we get to Latin roots... *smirk*
Old 10-29-2002, 06:10 PM   #96
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:

2. Americans are always and forever rather oblivious, as a group, as to how disliked their government is around the world.
Nah I dont think thats true. Anyone that watches the news will see that people hate America. Its just, I for one, dont give a crap.[/QUOTE]Do you give a crap when the US suffers a terrorist attack because of this hatred?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 10-29-2002, 06:18 PM   #97
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
you know, iron Ranger, that's not a half bad idea. Whatever way you look at it, the "war on Terror" started because USA offered help/interfered (I'm not gonna judge, it's not my place to and I doubt you'd care anyway, so pick whichever one you like) in other countries. Maybe the USA should watch out for who they help in the future. They supplied the IRA with weapons, after all.

Don't wanna be identified as a yank basher, just adding my thoughts [img]smile.gif[/img]
Harsh Horatio - it was not the USA which provided weapons and bombs that killed and maimed British and Irish civilians. It was individual, ignorant and misguided American citizens which funded the IRA.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 10-29-2002, 06:26 PM   #98
Lord Shield

[quote]Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
[qb]But, I will certainly agree with you that neither one can claim moral high ground. Which is why this is not a pissing contest about whose government is better, but rather about how Europeans view Americans.
wriong again IMO. It is BOTH the opinions Europenans ahve of Americans AND the opinions Americans have of Europeans now

Old 10-29-2002, 07:18 PM   #99
whacky
Emerald Dragon

You know i try not to be involved in such situations but I do think that America has this "thing" of being selfish and ruthless with others,if you want i can give you statistics about the results which America had on other countries, taking its toll in the form of human lives, does it matter NO, so much so we dont even hear it on news anymore. Dont you think all civilian lives ARE equal, 3000 Americans die due to Al-Qaeda, i offer my condolence and support, but that is no reason to kill Afghan civilians, if you do like this there is even a greater chance of hatred culminating in terrorists. Let us make a supposition, what if Saddam was based in a desert with NO natural resources at all, heck would America be so heatedly involved in its stand for a strike against Saddam, no, its never this way, the terrorist government crap is a cover up just of occupation. Another thing i'd like to suggest is the attitude of America is like that of a bully i'll say due to lack of appropriate words. Al-Qaeda smacked you with a terrorist attack but thats no reason for beating the crap out of everyone on the block, or is it ? Perhaps the chances of encountering an "Islamic" fanatic would 'ave been far more less if the US just didnt interfere in things that werent its problems. Yes Neb(or was it LS) i agree with the fact that America is the mastermind behind a lot of tht political disruptancies and when the terrorists return the "favour" America is suddenly this insecure thing who must see to it the everyone gets punished just to tell the world that its strong and powerful. As for Europe, it might not have much choice for i do agree that America does have more resources than them, but you must really see the American attitude it was clearly "Either you're with us or against us" no option left for thinking it through, and Europe certainly couldnt afford to be on the terrorists side, and if they tried to think it through after 9/11 a lot of criticism would've been deflected at them.

Edit: Just wanted to add my opinions, i'm still neutral in my standpoints, and i hope not to offend anyone at all.

[ 10-29-2002, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: whacky ]
Old 10-29-2002, 08:44 PM   #100
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by whacky:
You know i try not to be involved in such situations but I do think that America has this "thing" of being selfish and ruthless with others,if you want i can give you statistics about the results which America had on other countries, taking its toll in the form of human lives, does it matter NO, so much so we dont even hear it on news anymore. Dont you think all civilian lives ARE equal, 3000 Americans die due to Al-Qaeda, i offer my condolence and support, but that is no reason to kill Afghan civilians, if you do like this there is even a greater chance of hatred culminating in terrorists. Let us make a supposition, what if Saddam was based in a desert with NO natural resources at all, heck would America be so heatedly involved in its stand for a strike against Saddam, no, its never this way, the terrorist government crap is a cover up just of occupation. Another thing i'd like to suggest is the attitude of America is like that of a bully i'll say due to lack of appropriate words. Al-Qaeda smacked you with a terrorist attack but thats no reason for beating the crap out of everyone on the block, or is it ? Perhaps the chances of encountering an "Islamic" fanatic would 'ave been far more less if the US just didnt interfere in things that werent its problems. Yes Neb(or was it LS) i agree with the fact that America is the mastermind behind a lot of tht political disruptancies and when the terrorists return the "favour" America is suddenly this insecure thing who must see to it the everyone gets punished just to tell the world that its strong and powerful. As for Europe, it might not have much choice for i do agree that America does have more resources than them, but you must really see the American attitude it was clearly "Either you're with us or against us" no option left for thinking it through, and Europe certainly couldnt afford to be on the terrorists side, and if they tried to think it through after 9/11 a lot of criticism would've been deflected at them.

Edit: Just wanted to add my opinions, i'm still neutral in my standpoints, and i hope not to offend anyone at all.
Hey!

This reminds me of every argument that ever made my head hurt in the old War Forum.

BTW, I thought that argumentative forum of bile was suppose to be archived for easy access. What happened? Did someone read my responses to this post?

[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]