Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2004, 08:40 PM   #21
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Well there are a couple of things you have stirred me to add TL. Firstly I would like to say that I wasn't actually taking a side in this debate - just pointing out that you guys look to be arguing different points rather than the same one . Secondly I am D2, and a completely different corporeal identity to D1 Thirdly I am not exactly sure that we do actually disagree (so I think you may be wrong there ).
Old 02-21-2004, 06:27 AM   #22
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Related article:
EU to pass "polluter pays" bill

European Union MPs and governments have agreed to introduce new legislation to make companies pay for the cost of cleaning up the environmental damage they cause. Not all EU countries currently apply the principle that the polluter pays, with legal discrepancies most marked in southern Europe.

However, the Euro MPs failed to convince member states to require companies to take out insurance against environmental damage. Instead, the European Commission is to put forth proposals aimed at setting up a uniform environmental insurance system.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:55 PM   #23
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
[QB] Secondly I am D2, and a completely different corporeal identity to D1
Sorry, mate. Brain thought "X" but fingers typed "Y." At least in my mind I knew which hemishperical "D" you were. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
Quote:
Thirdly I am not exactly sure that we do actually disagree (so I think you may be wrong there ).
Actually, by "we" I meant me and Skunk.
Old 02-21-2004, 03:02 PM   #24
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Related article:
EU to pass "polluter pays" bill

European Union MPs and governments have agreed to introduce new legislation to make companies pay for the cost of cleaning up the environmental damage they cause. Not all EU countries currently apply the principle that the polluter pays, with legal discrepancies most marked in southern Europe.

However, the Euro MPs failed to convince member states to require companies to take out insurance against environmental damage. Instead, the European Commission is to put forth proposals aimed at setting up a uniform environmental insurance system.
Here again, I'd like to highlight a difference. "Polluter pays" is a bedrock theme in environmental law, first established and almost always followed by US Laws. However, the real question is what if the polluter is bankrupt? Or what if the polluter went bankrupt 30 years ago and doesn't exist anymore?

The US law deals with this by imposing strict liability on the current owner, regardless of fault. Yep, you read that right. The notion is that the social benefits of cleaning up the property are so important, it's worth hanging the albatross of cleanup costs around the neck of an INNOCENT party.

Of course, there's also the notionn that if you purchased property without investigating for past contamination, you are NOT innocent. So, this draconian rule does contain an "out." If you thoroughly investigate a property and do not find the past environmental impacts, you can actually get "off the hook," but a good investigation almost always discovers past impacts.

And, what of the current owner being treated unfairly? Well, it ain't all about fairness in environmental law. Now, if the current owner wants he can bring the past operator (the polluter) into the picture and pass the costs on to them (the basic "polluter pays" principle), but where there's no one to "pass the buck" to, tough luck pay up. [img]graemlins/deal.gif[/img]

Anyway, just a further note as to the differences.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:21 AM   #25
Skunk
Banned User

Back on topic, the EU has begun sanctions as of today:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3521731.stm

although I daresay, it will be a few months before the US job market begins to feel the pinch...
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:45 AM   #26
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
That gives Boeing, for example, an advantage over European rival Airbus in competing for business
Whereas Airbus gets its "leg up" through a simple government subsidy. To-may-to, to-mah-to.

Quote:
And while the US adminstration has urged Congress repeatedly to change the tax law, Congressional leaders are deadlocked over whether to offer additional corporate tax breaks to US companies in compensation.
Just do what they do with Airbus -- subsidize. Ooooops, that's not very "PC" in America, is it? It makes it too obvious that it's a governmental handout to business, doesn't it? Corporate tax breaks okay, subsidies no way! Duh, same = same. [img]graemlins/noevil.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2004, 11:57 AM   #27
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by D2:
Secondly I am D2, and a completely different corporeal identity to D1
How the hell have I got involved in this?

[ 03-01-2004, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:02 PM   #28
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I dragged you in with a clever bait.