Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2001, 11:05 AM   #1
Ziroc

If you get a chance, watch this MPEG video at:
http://www.artbell.com/letters06.html

(Its the link at the bottom that says "View MPEG Video (2 MEG FIle Download)"
Its of An SU-37..

After you watch this, post here with your reactions..

Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Old 05-15-2001, 11:08 AM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Is it for real?

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 05-15-2001, 11:29 AM   #3
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Blown away!
That thing can loop on the spot!!
Well the Russians did somehting right

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-15-2001, 11:44 AM   #4
Sir_Tainly

Vectorable thrusters pretty cool huh.

Saw the earlier version of this Aircraft at an air airshow a few years ago, but then the vector only worked up and down. The US was supposed to be doing something similar on the F22.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 05-15-2001, 12:27 PM   #5
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
Blown away!
That thing can loop on the spot!!
Well the Russians did somehting right

I bet these SU's could REALLY kick some ass in a dogfight with our F-16's or the newer aircraft.. Those movements are totally new! Imagine the new tactics they could come up with--add a stealth skin to this bird, and WOW!

Ziroc

Old 05-15-2001, 01:08 PM   #6
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
I bet these SU's could REALLY kick some ass in a dogfight with our F-16's or the newer aircraft.. Those movements are totally new! Imagine the new tactics they could come up with--add a stealth skin to this bird, and WOW!

Ziroc

Watch out Bush! Now youve really got something to worry about! Dont stuff this up too

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-15-2001, 02:06 PM   #7
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Very Impressive!!

Am I wrong, or can't harriers do similar things. They have vectorable thrusters. That is how they accomplish the verticle takeoff/landings. The harrier is sub sonic though, and this one probably isn't.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)
Old 05-15-2001, 08:30 PM   #8
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
Very Impressive!!

Am I wrong, or can't harriers do similar things. They have vectorable thrusters. That is how they accomplish the verticle takeoff/landings. The harrier is sub sonic though, and this one probably isn't.

Harriers can do similar manuvers The UK used the moves in the Falkans (sp?)Islands war. The F-22 also has vector nosels (sp?) to do the same thing. The USAF has been experimenting with them for years. The F-16 and F-15's airframes are capable of amazing manuvers, they are only limited by the G-force the pilot can handle 9-G max. That is the limit of human endurance, The SU will not be able to preform those manuvers at high speed-High G it WILL kill the pilot. The video while interesting has NO referance point of speed, there are engineers and mathmations(sp?) that can figure out the limits of the SU. The way to win any dogfight is to fight your fight not your opponents fight. WWII the Japanese Zero could out manuver all US fighters all day long and twice on Sunday. The US Navy won the air war because of tactics, we fought our fight and made them fight our fight. The pilot is the key, a good pilot in a OK plane will preval against an OK pilot in a great plane. A similar thing happened in the late 60's with the MIG-25 it came out and the USAF freaked they then created the F-15. It turned out the MIG-25 was just fast other than that it sucked. The F-15 is the best air-superiority fighter on this planet.FYI in the mid 70's the USAF was working on the Sleath fighter F-117 a full 10 years before the american public ever heard of steath. The only reason I know is that my Father was a fighter pilot and aeronautical engineer and did some early work on them. He wouldn't ever say until the USAF anounced the F-117 existance in the late 80's.
Most of the secret goodies that are out there won't be known for years after they have been developed.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"

[This message has been edited by John D Harris (edited 05-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by John D Harris (edited 05-15-2001).]
Old 05-15-2001, 08:58 PM   #9
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Still John D. It's damned impressive! I don't know any plane could do those manuvuers.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Claymore?
Old 05-15-2001, 09:22 PM   #10
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
Still John D. It's damned impressive! I don't know any plane could do those manuvuers.

I'm trying to remember the designation for a fodifided F-16 that the USAF was testing in the eighties it had a delta wing configuration and I beleive a vector nosel that could perform the same manuvers. The USAF used it as a test platform for their next generation fighters. I remember reading about the vector nosels in the Air Force magazine in the mid. 80's. They are impressive manuvers air show stuff, but in combat I'd trade manuverablity for stealth and a good radar. If I can see them and they can't see me, they're toast.( invisable thief with quad damage)