Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2003, 11:25 PM   #1
Mezu
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I remember reading somewhere that moving on to spell hold can make certain quests unavailable. I have tried to do every quest I can, but I'm sure I have missed a TON. Any info on this would be appriciated!

Mezu

P.S. This is the first forum I have ever been on where some questions get answered before I can go get a beer and hit the reload button!! I love it LOL
Mezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:36 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Actually, going to Spellhold will just put on hold any quests you might have prior to the trip. However... you can never go back to Chapter 4 after you complete it, so do your best to do everything you can in Chapter 4 and to a certain extent, in Chapter 5.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:40 PM   #3
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

the npc quests need to be done in chap 2 or 3
Old 03-10-2003, 11:48 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Angelousss:
the npc quests need to be done in chap 2 or 3
No, they do not. ALL of the quests (except those specific to Chapter 4, and the quests set up by Adalon's quest in Chapter 5) can be done in Chapters 2, 3, 6, or 7, without any changes at all (except that the enemies may adjust their difficulty to the party's level).

All quests, including your NPCs' quests, are put on hold the minute you set off for Chapter 4, and resume when you start Chapter 6.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:27 AM   #5
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

do they need to be started in chap 2 or 3
cause i know i've heard things like that before. if not then i've gotten some bad info.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:09 AM   #6
Manshoon

I'm gonna say no, they don't have to already be started. I had a paladin that I ran through the game the first time, and once I beat the game, I *AHEMcheatedAHEM* and CLUA'd my party from just before the final battle back to the Docks and did all the quests I'd passed up. I even started my paladin stronghold quest... and ruined it cause I took too long getting to the first mission, but ANYWAY... I'm gonna say you can start them anytime, finish them anytime, but only because that's what I did... and my game loves me [img]smile.gif[/img]

ADD: Allow me to be immature for a moment
HEHE! This is my 69th post [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 03-11-2003, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: 605 ]
Old 03-11-2003, 10:57 AM   #7
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

If you have tactics installed, you might want to snarf up as much XP as you can before hopping off to Spellhold...
Thorfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:03 AM   #8
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Not much in the Tactics Mod is going to create obstacles for you on your way to freeing Imoen. A pretty tough pack of the Greater Undead in Spellhold and the Improved Sahuagin city is about it, but both are quite managable even with a low level party.

[ 03-11-2003, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]
Old 03-11-2003, 11:44 AM   #9
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

Yeah, "as much as possible" is overkill, but we had a much tougher time with Imp Sah City than Imp Guarded Cpd or Imp TorGal, using only Standard Procedures, i.e., no encounter-specific pre-buffing, save those pre-buffs which one might divine from context or dungeon dressing prior to the encounter, like the stone statues around the Basilisk in BGI, or simply the knowledge of what creatures we were going to face in Bodhi's lair.

Actually, we never did beat Imp Sah City starting Chapter 4 in the 11-12 range. We ended up writing off the party and starting anew, this time with a Thief->Mage and a Kensai...
Thorfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 12:08 PM   #10
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

There's a sickeningly easy way to defeat the Imp Sahuagin city without lifting a finger. It involves a particular cheap shield and is about as cheesy as it gets, thus nothing I use myself, but it's nevertheless a choice if one is desperate to beat them [img]smile.gif[/img]

PfMW + Greater Malison + Hold Monster works great on the generic Sahuagin rebels if you have those spells available. PfMW is pretty much the only thing that can make you withstand their constant Paralytic Bolt showering for more than a few seconds. Though I've beaten them before, I have to say having a Sorcerer in the team really helped, since they get so many spells so early, and having a sorcerer is the only way you can get PfMW (and enough of them) early enough to go after Imoen at once.

Holy Smite and Fireball also works great, they seem to be particularly vulnerable to fire and wont react if you cast from outside their sight range. Though you have to make sure to take them all out with the final strike, since they can cast mass healing when they die. Casting a HS and Fireball at the same time works like a charm.
The Avatar might at first glance seem impossible for a low level party, but 3x Lower Res + GM + Hold Monster will take care of him just as well Getting him to target a hasted person with the Boots of speed and using him as bait will buy you the time needed to cast all those spells before he can swallow you all.