Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2001, 01:49 PM   #21
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

In my case there were about 4 around the castle and there were about 4-5 more of the Mantraps around the dragonspire.

If you set your resprawn on 'normal' or 'hard'

------------------
Adam Mage/Warlock
adam warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 01:53 PM   #22
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Adam: I, too, got the Mantraps near the Dragonspire. That tends to be random (or it may be a hallmark of the "Hard" setting, otherwise we'd hear more about that, too). The ones I got at the Dragonspire were easy, though...just run down Hephaestus' tunnel to where you can still see them but they can't follow you, then nuke'm high!

I also ran into a lone Mantrap just outside the west exit of the Boogre Caves where you go to find Doshi-Gin. That one was worse...way out in the open and it was nighttime. Couldn't see it until it was on me. Fortunately, my characters were far enough in levels that they didn't get creamed, although it took quite a few healing spells to get back where they were.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 02:21 PM   #23
Hawkwind
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Once you reach the castle moat, jump in and swim as far as you can to the LEFT of the drawbridge. There are 2 clearings where you can heal up and recharge etc. From there, you can gain access to the castle. I don't think they can get inside the castle grounds. This is what I did, and believe me, nobody hates these things worse than I do! Once inside the castle you will be able to reach an area where you can hit them with ranged spells and they can't get you. Don't give up - you WILL get through it!

==Hawkwind==
Hawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 02:24 PM   #24
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Be careful about going too far into one of those clearings, where you see the headstones, unless you want to be surrounded by arrow-firing Samurai skeletons. Of course, that's where the Samurai's baton may be found, if that's what you're seeking...

-Sazerac
Old 04-07-2001, 02:45 PM   #25
KattB
Dungeon Master

4 around the castle and 4 more after that! oh &^%%$#@ lol
I was HOPING the two pains I see were all there were and maybe only 2 more. I HATE them. they have got to be worse then anything else so far in the game and I have to get rid of them to move on in the game. dang it!
Now that I have vented.....
Kathy
KattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 08:45 PM   #26
Moni

Saz,

Thank you for your wishes of wellness for me! I took a hot shower and rubbed on some Vick's...felt great until about ten seconds ago LOL....the air is on in here and I'll need to go turn the thermostat up if I don't want to get sicker.

About Monette (fantastic name!) and the Myna bird...LOL Aw! Poor Birdy! Talking birds are too funny sometimes. I used to work on a ranch in AZ and the lady there seemed to me to be quite together until one day I was feeding the parrots and the macaw (sp?) started crying "ROY!!!" (her husband's name) "ROYYYYY" "Come Back ROY!!!!!" "WWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!" "RRRRROOOOOOOOYYYYYY!!!!!!" You KNOW the bird had to hear it more than once to learn it! Man I was so embarrased for her! Didn't suprise me when Roy did not come back one day LOL!

Moni
Old 04-07-2001, 10:06 PM   #27
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Dear Moni,

Well, you just take care of yourself, hon! We ALL care about you and depend on you to brighten our days!

The reason I told that terribly off-topic bird story was so you weren't thinking I was calling you "Monette" by mistake! LOL. Oh, man, that poor lady with the Macaw! They are just like unerasable tape recorders, aren't they?

But I swear "Ikey" (the Myna bird) KNEW what he was talking about! He sure knew when to use it!

-Sazerac
Old 04-07-2001, 10:07 PM   #28
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Katt: don't worry; most people only see the 4 at the castle. Adam and I just got "lucky" I think Wyvern did, too, though, come to think of it.

After dealing with the ones at the castle, it's a lot easier to deal with successive ones. They're worth good XP, too.

-Sazerac
Old 04-07-2001, 10:39 PM   #29
Moni

Saz,

I love Myna birds! Of all the talking birds, they seem to me to be the ones with enough intelligence to know what and when to say it...i.e. actually carry on a conversation rather than just repeat this or that or answer questions with the correct answers. I used to frequent a pet store as a kid where they had a myna bird that would talk to the kids...he did not really like adults that much but was a great source of amusement to my sister and me! One thing though..when we were ready to leave and he wanted us to stay, he would pull our hair and say "Don't go!" Had to break his heart though...we were told not to be there at all lol!

Going to bed early tonight so I'll say goodnight here and now and check my mail before I sign off.

Moni
Old 04-09-2001, 01:38 AM   #30
Hawkwind
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by KattB:
4 around the castle and 4 more after that! oh &^%%$#@ lol
I was HOPING the two pains I see were all there were and maybe only 2 more. I HATE them. they have got to be worse then anything else so far in the game and I have to get rid of them to move on in the game. dang it!
Now that I have vented.....
Kathy
Kathy:

Let me know how you made out. I was just able to eliminate the 4 that were hanging around the castle. If you look up as you walk around the castle grounds, you'll see 2 buildings with a wooden hanging bridge between them. You will eventually get up there in the course of the level, and from that point you should be able to do some Mantrap target practice. Unfortunately, I was only able to get 2 of them from there. I had to go back outside the castle, and creep along the wall juusssst until they came into sight of my 'peripheral' vision. Fromt here, I used Flamedrop...low damage, but consistent. Just have to be patient.

==Hawkwind==

Hawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote