Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 11:57 PM   #1
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Light Bulb

For those of you who have missed the news out of Texas, there is a bill passed in the State House of Representatives which has just been passed to outlaw sexy cheerleaders. Yahoo has a short synopsis of it here http://au.news.yahoo.com/050504/19/u764.html

If you didn't see The Daily Show tonight then watch the rebroadcast tomorrow night. The lampoon that they did on the entire situation is hysterical. That means funny if you don't live in Texas and tragic if you do.

If you are like me and from Texas, you were probably thinking "What excuse can I use for not telling people that I'm from Texas?". Well, here's another excuse to use.

People wonder why I moved my email account to New Zealand. I can only say that it's cheaper than the Witness Protection Program.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:56 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

OK, I thought the idea of cheerleaders was to get you to cheer. Hard to do, if they can't get your attention...Such is life, however. You can't even see that much in the strip clubs locally, thanks to our city council's public nudity law. I live in the city limits, and can't work, or even mow my lawn w/out a shirt on, it *may cause sexual arousal for someone of the opposite sex.* I'd shout, I would hope, but...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:59 AM   #3
Lucern
Quintesson

LOL Antryg...nah I'll admit it. It's a big state with a lot of people, 'bout 28 million. We can't all be that lame right?

There's a post in the CE forum, btw.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:18 AM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
OK, I thought the idea of cheerleaders was to get you to cheer. Hard to do, if they can't get your attention...Such is life, however. You can't even see that much in the strip clubs locally, thanks to our city council's public nudity law. I live in the city limits, and can't work, or even mow my lawn w/out a shirt on, it *may cause sexual arousal for someone of the opposite sex.* I'd shout, I would hope, but...
No, that the players' job. Their actions on the field should be enough to make people cheer, if not, then they are a pretty crappy team, no ? Or the fans overthere are pretty sad, tha's also a possibilty of course.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:49 AM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

If they are gonna ban sexy cheerleaders. How about having cheerleaders made up of handsome young man? We call it handsome cheerleader. Imagine a group of male carrying pompom and start to cheer. " Give me an I-R-O-N-W-O-R-K-S. What it spell? IRONWORKS!! YAYYYYYY!!! "
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:59 AM   #6
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Huh...

So much for watching the Cowboys [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:30 AM   #7
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
Huh...

So much for watching the Cowboys [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Quote:
The law is designed to ban dance routines by school cheerleaders and drill teams at sports events that one politician said was like something out of a strip club.

it has nothing to do with the dallas cowboy's cheerleaders. it is designed to protect CHILDREN, those cheering in highschool and those highschoolers watching. and yes i am calling highschool kids children, just because some show maturity doesn't make them all adults.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL, well, Antryg, you could always say you're from Fiji or someplace else!

I think this is a no-brainer, though. I mean if a particular high school squad is too 'vulgar' you'd expect the coaches, parents and school to be aware and to make them change things for that particular cheer etc.

Oh well, maybe you could wear a halter and shake your booty...they can legislate you out of TX!
Old 05-10-2005, 09:41 AM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Look, I think this is a stupid idea proposed by stupid people in a State that has its fair share of stupidity. However, this turd:

Quote:
"This broad, morally restrictive legislation reminds me of the Taliban," said Will Harrell, director of the ACLU of Texas. "Why not go all the way? Why not require them all to wear a burka?"
... gets added to my list of "People Who Timber Promises to Punch in the Nose if Given the Chance." I'd like to put this wanker in a burka and make him my little prison beeee-atch.

[ 05-10-2005, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 05-10-2005, 11:00 AM   #10
Khazadman Risen
Manshoon

Just the fact that the schools were doing nothing about this stuff shows that they are not looking out for the best interests of these kids. And the parents have to shoulder some of the blame too. If I went to a football game and saw my daughter doing one of those cheers, guaranteed she wouldn't finish that cheer. And whoever ran the program would be meeting some very mean attornies.

Oh look, I'm a Manshoon again.

[ 05-10-2005, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Khazadman Risen ]