Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2004, 09:09 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Will there be issues playing the older NWN and SoU fan made modules if I install this newest version? Has anybody had to deal with video card issues such as game freezes because of this version? Do I need to have HotU installed first? Thanks.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:27 AM   #2
philip
Galvatron

Nope everything is backwards compatible if you have the other prerequisites for the module (like expansion or a newer model videocard for dds textures) but you should be fine with version 1.62. Not running the newest patch will prevent you from playing modules [img]tongue.gif[/img] No video card issues or freezes and you shouldn't worry about those since these get caught easily during testing especially during the beta. There are different patches for different setups of NWN, like for vanilla NWN, NWN+SoU, NWN+hotU, NWN+all expansions. Just use autoupdate or search the right version [img]smile.gif[/img]
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:07 AM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Thanks, philip. I have found you to be very knowlegable on these matters. I am having play problems, however. My games are freezing or I am getting crashes where I have to reboot my computer. It probably is a video card issue, but it has been happening only recently. I scanned for viruses but none were present. How does one go about uninstalling a driver for a vid card? Where do I go in Windows to uninstall and what steps do I take?
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 12:25 PM   #4
philip
Galvatron

Well let me tell you uninstalling a driver for a video card is very annoying and might get you into trouble really bad (wish there were DOS installers for it). I could delete the driver if I upgraded it so it showed in remove software. The problem was either windows crashed just after it was removed or you had to reboot. Then the fun started as you want to get into safe mode and install there. I couldn't get back into safe mode since it was asking me to reboot cause the video card drivers were bad.I managed to get in after a couple of hours suddenly and could install then.

BTW there are some other things that could cause these crashes.
-have you checked for spyware?
-Your hardware might be overheating.
What are your specs?

edit: for deleting the video card driver I don't know if this works but you could try removing the driver and reinstall windows so the old driver comes back. There are also files in the options folder (at least in WInMe might be different name in other Windows) from which you can install old drivers. Go to the list of hardware in your computer (don't know what it's called in english windows) and to your monitor in there. I think there are some options there for your video card. I don't know if you can downgrade this way but you could try.

Be careful with uninstalling, make backups first and keep boot floppy and windows CDrom close!

[ 07-13-2004, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: philip ]
philip is offline   Reply With Quote