Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2002, 02:48 PM   #1
Duncan Idaho
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Greetings all!
I've been reading the posts here for some time now, and some have really helped me through parts of the game where I've been stuck. Extremely useful. Let me introduce myself; I'm Duncan, I live in an Ixian made Bene Gesserit No-Ship, and I love RPG'ing. I just beat the game in normal mode last night, and was curious about other people's parties who have beaten the game (either HOF or normal mode); I'd like to see what people are creating and winning with. My party is as follows:

Lv 19 Fighter / Lv 1 Paladan (Human)
Lv 9 Barbarian / Lv 10 Cleric of Talos (Half-Orc)
Lv 18 Ranger (Ghostwise Halfling)
Lv 17 Monk (Deep Gnome)-
Lv 19 Wizard (Drow)
Lv 19 Sorcerer (Drow)

My levels are higher than the average because I chose to import my party back to the beginning of the game after a drastic bug crash in dragon's eye. In retrospect, I would have done some things differently; I would have dualed my ranger to something more useful, maybe another fighter, or cleric, or druid; but I love the ambidexterous and two weapon fighting feats for free with ranger. Also wouldn't have made him ghostwise halfling. I'm very happy with having two hard hitting arcane spellcasters in back, that worked well. My wizard and ranger picked up the rogue slack, and I never at any point in the game wished I had had a true rogue.

So I'm going to import this party into HOF mode, see how they hold up there (I'm expecing slaughter but, if so, that just means I can create a new, better party based on what I've learned). All those who have beaten the game, please reply with what party you used, I'm very curious. Until then, good gaming!
Old 11-01-2002, 03:47 PM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
My party was all level 16 by the end, though my fighter only made it at the beginning of the last battle. These guys did a great job, most battles were challenging but not too tough, we didn't use summons except maybe twice and never used improved invisibility etc. Probably should have dualled my rogue to fighter or something since we didn't take advantage at all of any high level rogue feats (arterial strike etc) but he was still a great team man

Shield dwarf fighter
Wild elf ranger
Human monk
Moon elf cleric
Strongheart halfling rogue
Half-elf wizard
Old 11-01-2002, 05:24 PM   #3
Nightowl2
Galvatron

First team to finish in normal (never used summoning):

Aasimar Paladin
Shield Dwarf Fighter
Aasimar Cleric
Strongheart Halfling Rogue
2 Moon Elf Sorcerers

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 02:29 AM   #4
Duncan Idaho
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Aelia and Nightowl, you both have shield dwarf fighters; I've always been interested in using a dwarf fighter (even back in BG2, but the closest I got was that chaotic evil dwarf fighter Korgan), but I've always passed it over for some reason. My question is, how have they worked out for you? How would your rate that race, as opposed to other races, as fighters? Would you choose a different race if you did it over again, or were you satisfied? I appreciate your input!
Old 11-02-2002, 02:51 AM   #5
Balhifet
The Magister

I also thought that it would be nice to have a dwarf fighter in my party. They have nice cons and str but what I hate bout them is when they fight and walk. They look funny and stout. Thats why I always choose either human, elf and
half-(put race here).
Old 11-02-2002, 12:21 PM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Yeah, they do look a little funny on the screen. Regardless, a dwarf with axe in hand and weapon specialization axe is one heckuva fighter. My dwarfs always have the most kills. Wouldn't go without one. Your mileage may vary

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 04:24 PM   #7
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Balhifet:
I also thought that it would be nice to have a dwarf fighter in my party. They have nice cons and str but what I hate bout them is when they fight and walk. They look funny and stout. Thats why I always choose either human, elf and
half-(put race here).
LOL I gave mine dash. He did look a little odd racing around passing my elves

He was very tough though. Lots of hitpoints, though I think I should have given him more wisdom and less dexterity since he used heavy armour and didn't get the ac bonuses, and higher saving throws might have helped. He had far and away the most kills though.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:53 PM   #8
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Question Mark

Aasimar Paladin Sir Triax Vaneer: lvl 9 paladin/lvl 7 fighter
Half-Orc Barbarian Norg: lvl 13 barbarian/lvl 4 fighter (for weapon expertise)
Human Monk Xavier: lvl 17 monk of the old order
Elven Cleric Valen: lvl 13 cleric of Helm/lvl 4 fighter (for weapon expertise)
Elven Sorceress Asuriel: lvl 17 Sorceress
Human Sorcerer Zuvio: lvl 17 Sorcerer

Never played a monk in my live, but I'm very content with him at higher lvls.
Old 11-02-2002, 07:09 PM   #9
Kygon-Jo
Dungeon Master

The party I used I normal mode was
Human Ranger lvl 16
Human Cleric of lathander lvl 16
Dwarf fighter lvl 16
Half-elf female fighter lvl 16 My archer
Human Wizard lvl 16
Strongheart halfling lvl 10 rougue lvl6 fighter

Ranger is my favorite class to play. I was not very happy with the ranger. My dwarf fighter (Gunnar the Axe) was awesome.

In hof now but I only imported three of my party. I made an assimar paladin and a tiefling rouge/fighter. so far so good. Improved invisiblity really is not fair.
Kygon-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote