Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2002, 12:12 PM   #11
Iluvatar Oakenshield
Manshoon

Also try:

Haggard - And thou shall trust...the seer (Death metal & Classical music -> NOT classical influences, but real classical music [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Amorphis - Tales from the thousand lakes

Moonspell - Irreligious

Officium Triste - The pathway

Theatre of Tragedy - Velvet darkness they fear

also black orientated instead of death orientated but still melodic:

Empyrium - Songs of moors and misty fields

Summoning - Dol guldor (LOTR influenced lyrics)

[ 05-03-2002, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Iluvatar Oakenshield ]
"Wherever she dwells I will bid a farewell sigh For she dwells with beauty - beauty that must die And deep inside me I will wait for her return To her enchanting, awe-inspiring flame I'll yearn O lust and rueful thought be mine, My soul enhanced, desires... Melancholy. My heart is thine."

Schwadorf, Empyrium '97
Old 05-03-2002, 12:23 PM   #12
Melusine
Dracolisk

Haggard - And thou shall trust...the seer (Death metal & Classical music -> NOT classical influences, but real classical music [img]smile.gif[/img] )

already posted on this band extensively in the Best Band thread

Amorphis - Tales from the thousand lakes

bit outdated IMO, but a classic

Moonspell - Irreligious

OK then, Wolfheart AND Irreligious, but nothing from before OR after

Officium Triste - The pathway

And just how is an Aussie going to obtain anything from a Dutch underground band? Oh well, everything's on Audiogalaxy these days, I'm sure... LOL!

Theatre of Tragedy - Velvet darkness they fear

Personally, I find them a bit boring - there are so many bands out there who do the same trick only better

also black orientated instead of death orientated but still melodic:

Empyrium - Songs of moors and misty fields

Cool that you know them - have that album on tape lying around somewhere....

Summoning - Dol guldor (LOTR influenced lyrics)

Again, only if you like boring bands Actually, it's not that bad (as I have some of their stuff myself ) but if you're mentioning Summoning, you HAVE TO mention ABIGOR which is one of the few BM bands I'd still listen to. Try their phenomenal album Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom). Also from Austria: Angizia - the only band of whom you can truly say they mix classical music and metal - very much an acquired taste though

[/QB][/QUOTE]
Old 05-03-2002, 12:32 PM   #13
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

So many bands, so little time.... [img]graemlins/1drool.gif[/img]

Well I think I may go for Nightwish "Oceanborn", MDB "Turn loose the swans" for now as I have heard good things about the first band and already like the second
Old 05-03-2002, 12:35 PM   #14
Melusine
Dracolisk

Good choice. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Tarja, the singer of Nightwish has had a formal education in classical singing and leaves most whiny little sopranos of mediocre metal-bands miles and miles behind: she has an a-m-a-z-i-n-g voice.
Seen them live twice, very good band. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2002, 12:57 PM   #15
Iluvatar Oakenshield
Manshoon

@Melusine:

Haggard: Sorry didn't notice that thread.

Amorphis: Agreed

Moonspell: Well, I like "under the moonspell" too [img]smile.gif[/img]

Theatre Of Tragedy: Well that's just a personal taste, you have to agree though that they were one of the first bands in that genre. Nowadays it's hard to be original play melodic doom death.

Empyrium: Aaaahhh, I love this band, especially when I'm taking hikes in the woods and twilight is just kicking in. I have all three of their albums, but the first two are the best. BTW; check my sig!

Summoning: BORING???? NOOOOOOO way baby. How can you say that They are the one and only band that is able to provide the soundtrack that perfectly matches with my daydreams.

Abigor: Yes I love this band too, and own also almost everything from them and I agree: "Nachthymnen" is their best album, Especially the song "Scars in the landscape of God" [img]smile.gif[/img]

Angizia: You KNOW Angizia???? And you like them? I have never met anybody before who does! I think Angizia is really really great. Too bad I only have "Das tagebuch der Hanna Anikin" and one song from "Die kemenaten sharlachroter rosen" (sp?) I have been searching for years to find more of them Do you now a store in The Netherlands where they have some work of them?

Oh and by the way: I think you have a great taste [img]smile.gif[/img]
So you like RPG's, Metal and you're female -> What are you? Perfect?? [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]
"Wherever she dwells I will bid a farewell sigh For she dwells with beauty - beauty that must die And deep inside me I will wait for her return To her enchanting, awe-inspiring flame I'll yearn O lust and rueful thought be mine, My soul enhanced, desires... Melancholy. My heart is thine."

Schwadorf, Empyrium '97
Old 05-03-2002, 01:08 PM   #16
Melusine
Dracolisk

WOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

You know Angizia?? AND like them? WHOA! I've never met anyone who liked or even knew them (uh... was that an echo?) Tee hee

That's so cool - I've been a fan since their first full length album, they're BRILLIANT! As far as I can remember, I bought all three albums in the Boudisque in Amsterdam...
Die Kemenaten Scharlachroter Lichter, Das Tagebuch der Hanna Anikin, Das Schachbrett des Trommelbuben Zacharias. Have you tried ordering from Displeased? If you really can't find the other two albums, I'll copy them for you, no problem [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, yeah, in the genre, I do find Summoning a tad boring at times. I listen to quite a lot of dark ambient/atmospheric music, and there are so many great bands out there that I think Summoning's songs are a bit too similar to eachother. It's certainly not a bad band though - I think I have that miniCD on CD and Minas Morgul on tape. Abigor is one of my all time favourite bands in that genre, along with Satyricon and Emperor.

Under the Moonspell? LOL - Allaaaaahhhhh Akbar! OK, it has its moments I'm going to have to draw the line at Goat On Fire though - I bought the limited ed. 7" vinyl and it sucks

As for TOT - actually I'd say their newer work isn't too bad. The more industrial sound suits Liv Kristine's voice better - she's not too versatile IMHO. I do like that one song from their first album as well though, the one with the cool piano intro... Apathy-something?

Oh, and I'm far from perfect - I don't even listen to BM that much any more
Old 05-03-2002, 01:10 PM   #17
Iluvatar Oakenshield
Manshoon

Oh and BTW: I have just read that story about meeting Haggard on the "Best band thread" you mentioned. I think that is totally cool [img]smile.gif[/img] I am so happy because last week I noticed they were added to the bill at Wacken Open Air. Finally, I have the chance of seeing them live. I already packed my Haggard shirt to wear it during the show

Schwadorf, Empyrium '97
Old 05-03-2002, 01:30 PM   #18
Iluvatar Oakenshield
Manshoon

That's so nice of you to offer to copy them for me. Thanx! I'll try Boudisque first though, I've never been there (I am currently living in Groningen where I study) and if they don't have them, I'll contact you. I have tried to order them from Displeased but they don't have them (anymore)

TOT - I can't really think of the song that you're mentioning because I don't have my cd's here (currently visiting my parents) One song I do love from them is "And when he falleth" I am not very into their newer stuff though, I am not the industrial type But I have seen them last year in Vera and that was quite good, even the newer songs sounded... let's say "interesting"

Satyricon and Emperor are great too, but I mostly like their older work. Oh and what about Burzum, Immortal, Dark Funeral, Marduk, Enslaved, Dissection (RIP), Dark Tranquillity, Mithotyn (RIP), In Flames, Einherjer, Amon Amarth? To name a few of my favorite BM/BlackDeath/Viking bands [img]smile.gif[/img]

Have you heard the latest's Summoning? "Let mortal heroes sing your fame" It's one of their best so far imo.

Well in my book you're perfect [img]smile.gif[/img] -> Not too seriously meant though, but I think girls like you are rare, at least I never get to meet them.

Cheers, Iluvatar

Schwadorf, Empyrium '97
Old 05-03-2002, 01:44 PM   #19
Melusine
Dracolisk

That's so nice of you to offer to copy them for me. Thanx! I'll try Boudisque first though, I've never been there (I am currently living in Groningen where I study) and if they don't have them, I'll contact you. I have tried to order them from Displeased but they don't have them (anymore)

Sure, just email if you can't get find them. Small trouble to burn a copy for you. I may have found on of them in Fame by the way, another big record store in Amsterdam. They're dreadfully expensive though

TOT - I can't really think of the song that you're mentioning because I don't have my cd's here (currently visiting my parents) One song I do love from them is "And when he falleth" I am not very into their newer stuff though, I am not the industrial type But I have seen them last year in Vera and that was quite good, even the newer songs sounded... let's say "interesting"

I've remembered myself, the song was called Dying - I Only Feel Apathy. I've seen them live on Dynamo a couple of years ago... LOL, saw Liv Kristine sing 80s classics with that dodgy german band... damn what are they called again? Atrocity I believe

Satyricon and Emperor are great too, but I mostly like their older work. Oh and what about Burzum, Immortal, Dark Funeral, Marduk, Enslaved, Dissection (RIP), Dark Tranquillity, Mithotyn (RIP), In Flames, Einherjer, Amon Amarth? To name a few of my favorite BM/BlackDeath/Viking bands [img]smile.gif[/img]

Burzum is one of my favourites, and one of the first bands I got to know. My boyfriend at the time (about 7 years ago) was a huge fan and introduced me to it. Can't say I agree with Varg Vikernes's nasty ideology (what a creepy little creep ) but his music is great, no doubt about that. I have all the Burzum albums on CD, and even two longsleeves lying somewhere in a drawer (NEVER wear them anymore - still have about 30 shirts lying around). Immortal - amusing band bunch of weirdos but Blashyrk ROCKS! Heh. They couldn't play their way out of a wet paper bag though [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Dark Funeral - I used to listen to them, yeah. Added to the list of teenage sins now though - i.e. musically not interesting enough. Still, a few nice songs like My Dark Desires. I met them once, too. Was at a concert a couple of years ago - was nasty, with pig's blood and all that
Marduk - good band, again dodgy political ideas though. Saw a good concert once in Hengelo, that was fun. Enslaved's a great band - oh the nostalgia! Love their drummer - so young and so talented (not to mention delectable [img]tongue.gif[/img] he's also played with Emperor)
Listened to most of the other bands you mentioned too, apart from Amon Amarth and Mithotyn - possibly 'after my time'.
Haven't been closely following the scene inquite a while now. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh, one other favourite though: Darkthrone - similar style to Burzum, i.e. nice and gritty. Production? Wassat?

Have you heard the latest's Summoning? "Let mortal heroes sing your fame" It's one of their best so far imo.

Well in my book you're perfect [img]smile.gif[/img] -> Not too seriously meant though, but I think girls like you are rare, at least I never get to meet them.

LOL yeah, I used to hear that a lot. Not too many girls around in the really extreme genres - a pity.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:39 PM   #20
Iluvatar Oakenshield
Manshoon

Awwww Cool, We may have been standing side-to-side headbanging to some of those bands. I was also there at the Dynamo. I thought TOT's concert wasn't very good, The sound just plain sucked. But the Atrocity show was funny. I still have some crappy pics of that show.

I have also visited The Metropool in Hengelo a couple of times. Saw Dark Funeral, Marduk, Enslaved, Gorefest, Six Feet Under, Bal-Sagoth, Immortal and loads of others.

I remember Legion from Marduk spitting a large mouthful of Black ink into the public at the start of the show. A friend of mine who stood just before me had his head covered with that stuff during the remainder of the evening, very funny that was.

Also the pig-blood was kinda "interesting" too. The complete front audience was covered with it because the singer (what's his name; Emperor Caligulus Something Something) emptied a bucket over his head and started headbanging. Dang, I remember how I smelled when I woke up the next day

Also I agree with you on some of the political statements of the extreme bands. I mean, being against religion that's ok, in my book. But the propaganda for violence against Christians and stuff goes to far for me. Also there seems to be a growing tendency towards White power and Neo-nazi ideals in the black metal seems. That is a shame, I hate that. There's this one band from Poland called Graveland. Great music but their lyrics keep me from buying some of their stuff. >:

As for satan-worshipping; that's cool when you're 14

I also agree on the Varg subject; That dude is not cool, I believe he's still in jail so no problems there, Good riddance

Luckily not all bands are like that, such as for example Enslaved, they have nice lyrics imo.

Thanx again for the Angizia offer, I'll let ya know [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well gotta go I'll talk to you again soon [img]smile.gif[/img]

PS: Alvast gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag morgen [img]graemlins/superdude.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/superdude.gif[/img]

Schwadorf, Empyrium '97