Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 01:22 AM   #1
Orbost
The Magister

I'd done no computer gaming for literally 10 years up until 2 months ago, when I bought a copy of Baldurs Gate really cheaply. And I love it!

I've now seen that Morrowind is selling for just $10! Mega cheap! I'll probably buy it anyway, but I was hoping people could compare it to Baldurs Gate for me.

Not just 'MW is better' or 'BG is better', but how are they different? Which game have you ended up playing the most? How does combat compare? Character creation?

Sorry, this is a bit of a broad topic!
Orbost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:55 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

Morrowind differs from BG in all directions. It is:

1. "Fisrt person view."
2. Only one hero, you can create your hero completely. Even if there are bags of "templates" (classes) for the hero in the game, you can ignore them all.
3. Combat is realtime.
4. Graphics: very nice, real 3D, but there is a payment for it. Don't try Morrowind on a hardware worse than 128 MB accelerated video, 2 GHz CPU, and 512 MB RAM. Well, this should not be a big problem nowadays.
5. Among others, Morrowind comes with a game editor, which allows you to create "plugins" and modify the game by adding or modifying objects, NPSc, monsters, items or even by adding whole continents. There are bags of Morrowind plugins on the web prepared for immediate use.

In the other words, do not hesitate and give them those $10 [img]smile.gif[/img] Only check that you are buying Morrowind and not some obscure CD. You should get 2 CDs, one with the game and one with the editor.

My opinion: Morrowind if far better than BG2.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:40 AM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Radek:
Don't try Morrowind on a hardware worse than 128 MB accelerated video, 2 GHz CPU, and 512 MB RAM.
Are you kidding me????
I finished Morrowind on a Celeron 500, with 256 RAM and a RAEDON 9000 that was running in a 2x AGP slot [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Although the draw distance couldnt be put more than Half way, the game ran fine.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:02 AM   #4
gamer201

First, which Baulders Gate are you comparing Dark Allience? Well either way baulders gate is worse than Morrowind. Morrowind on a scale of 1-10 is a 10!!! But BG on that same scale of 1-10 is a 3.

GO ELDERS SCROLLS III: MORROWIND!!!

ˇ(especialy Game of the Year edition for XBOX)!
Old 02-25-2005, 08:08 AM   #5
gamer201

Letter

T-D-C has decided that Gamer201 should be quiet for a while and respect other members.

[ 03-13-2005, 03:34 AM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]
Old 02-25-2005, 05:48 PM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Ask in Morrowind board. People will tend to say Morrowind > BG2. Ask in BG2 board. People will tend to say BG2 > Morrowind.

Why not buy both? That way you can play both since the price is cheap.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:16 PM   #7
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by gamer201:
Quote removed because original flame was Choc'ed.
Um. HTs post was relevant to this thread, being as how Radek claims MW requires a lot more than that. Could be useful info for the OP. Might not be. It certainly wont do any harm, and I dont see any attempt to force you to read it, so why get upset over it?

As for BG 3/10 and MW 10/10 - No accounting for taste I guess. To me, MW seemed to be fairly shallow and far to easy. BG has interesting characters, a decent plotline, and deep tactics. Morrowind - virtualy everyone in an area spills the same conversation line, the combat is simplistic and the plot is slight to say the least.

I'd give BG(1&2) a 9/10 (so that I have room to give PS:T a 10) and MW, maybe 7/10. BGA now, thats another story. Havent played it so I'm not scoring it, but I'm not impressed by anything I've seen or heard about it.

[ 03-13-2005, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 02-25-2005, 07:10 PM   #8
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Holy crap calm down. This isn't a pissing contest. Anyway, personally I enjoyed BG2 more then Morrowind, but I can see that Morrowind is larger and has more "real" roleplaying options. IMO it's less epic, but is more versatile. Both are excellent, and I encourage you to pick them up.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:17 PM   #9
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I've played through BG1 three times, BG2 countless times and Morrowind twice. Its very good, well worth a tenner. It will chug however - if you want graphics turned up full, be sure you have the hardware to cope. The modding community is extremely large - if you fall in love with the game it may be worth picking up the expansions as most mods require them.

As for me, I'm waiting for Oblivion! *gurgle*

Edit: I note you said 'Baldurs Gate': Baldur's Gate 2 should of course be on your 'to-buy' list - in my opinion even better than the original. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-25-2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:37 PM   #10
Sythe
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by gamer201:
[qb]...Post was Choc'ed...
Calm down no need to go all Weapons of Mass Destruction on Hive. How would you like it if I starting yelling in your ear because you spelled Baldur wrong? Yeah I thought so. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Both games are great. If you are someone that adores custmization of your character then Morrowind will be your game. And it has tons of mods for it. Though I have more fun with Baldur's gate because it has this certain "feel" this weird sort of immersion. Something in the music. Could just be me though. And dialouge is much more exciting the and the droll and drab Morrowind dialouge. And Morrowind can at times be real annoying. Early in the game you maybe jump a lot.

[ 03-17-2005, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]