Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2002, 08:44 PM   #1
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Ive recently finished the Lord of the Rings novel number 2, "The Two Towers". It just so happens that when i was half way done with it my AP Language and Comp(easier put as Honors English worth college credits for juniors) teacher tells us we're doing something called a Long Form, were we chose a good book and write about it. So i figured ah well why not do it on the book im reading now? But as it turns out, the long form makes u analyze ever miniscule detail of the book. Going from 'how often are metaphors used?' to 'how does the author set the tone?' to 'What is the significance of the title?'. I found that after i did this, the book kind of lost its magic. So if an english teacher ever approaches you with a paper with 'Long Form' written across the top, RUN!

[ 04-08-2002, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Lady Blue03 ]
Old 04-09-2002, 03:18 PM   #2
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Yeap only grip with Highscool ap. english classes when you anilize books you ruin them i did my resarch paper on Tolken's books and that almost ruined them for me too. The recherch paper was the big final type paper most do in the senior year but i had to take ap and do it as a junior it was worth 50% of my total grade in the class.
Old 04-09-2002, 04:11 PM   #3
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

you guys are lucky I have to do mine on Sigeru Miyamoto :/ you know how LONG that guys LIFE STORY is!!!

and its so... REPETATIVE!

eyaaah!

"oh look i made another cool invention! oh and hey i just made another and OOH look another and HEY im a millionare I dont care LOOK another invention!"
Old 04-09-2002, 06:31 PM   #4
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

This is where my old copy of "The Cat in the Hat" comes in handy
Old 04-09-2002, 07:12 PM   #5
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Had a similar experience - my High School AP teacher, while introducing the book, The Scarlet Letter mentioned that the minister was the father of the made char's child. Probably one of the MAJOR points of the book, ruined. URRGH

So I understand your misery...

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Old 04-09-2002, 07:19 PM   #6
Encard
Quintesson

*wince* That's happened a few times to me too... stupid ANALYZING IS BAD!!!!! MOO!!!!! [img]smile.gif[/img] Oh, well...
Old 04-09-2002, 10:56 PM   #7
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

ugh we finished scarlet letter a few weeks ago. BORING!
Old 04-10-2002, 12:07 AM   #8
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Yeah that happens to me too, it is so annoying. i still dont know why someone who wants to be a nuclear physicist needs to know how to extrapolate on the theme of a novel.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 04-10-2002, 07:26 PM   #9
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Blue03:
ugh we finished scarlet letter a few weeks ago. BORING!
I agree - but imagine if you already knew the result of the plot...

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>