Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #21
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Windows 7- marked for beta release Friday...

Quote:
I guess what I am asking is, “are there any features with the newer OS that make it worth getting?”

Will the computer run any better, will It be more protected, is there some assume new program or such that I do not have with XP? Also will any of the new games run if I just upgrade the OS? I am guessing “no” on that one, but I am not sure.

If your games will not run with XP, there's no way that Vista will help. In my opinion, there is no feature in Vista that you are missing out on, and I don't even think Vista would perform at it's best in your current hardware configuration. You would see noticeable results in performance with new hardware upgrades. If you want to lay out your spending limits with us, several people here on IW will be able to assist you with buying the best parts for the best price and tell you how to install them...or maybe you'll need to buy a whole new computer, already maxed out. In that case, Vista would come already loaded and your decision to upgrade the OS or not would be a moot point.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #22
SecretMaster
Apophis

Default Re: Windows 7- marked for beta release Friday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbus
I actually asked about this in another post, but it seems appropriate here also.

I have been considering upgrading my OS; I currently have Windows XP and have never really had any problems with it. I think most of my problems are associated with the video card and processor. I have an older dell computer, 8300, and 1 gig of ram. I use my computer mostly for my business stuff, some internet stuff, and to play games (although I have not been able to buy any new games for a while because they won’t run).

Should I upgrade the OS and if so to what is my best option?

I am thinking I should just wait until I get a new computer but that may still be a year or so.
I am thinking the same thing. There is no sense in upgrading your OS to Vista, especially since it would result in a performance hit across all boards. Also, Windows 7 (which is still a years off from arriving), shares much under the hood in comon with Windows Vista. The ongoing joke/theme/attitude towards Windows 7 in many circles is that Windows 7 is simply Windows Vista SP2.

It's also pointless to do a hardware upgrade with your given specs. I say start from an entirely new computer. When you want to do that is your choice obviously, but if you need help in picking some stuff just drop a thread .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbus View Post
I guess what I am asking is, “are there any features with the newer OS that make it worth getting?”

Will the computer run any better, will It be more protected, is there some assume new program or such that I do not have with XP? Also will any of the new games run if I just upgrade the OS? I am guessing “no” on that one, but I am not sure.
Your computer will not run any better, if anything it will run slower on Vista. I'm echoing Larry's sentiments here as well in terms of features. Unless you are a gamer (but you don't appear to be) there is no real tangible benefit from you making the switch right now. Windows Vista has the newer DX10 graphics API, while XP is stuck forever with DX9.0c. Windows 7 will come with DX11. All these fancy names simply mean that games that take advantage of using these API's will have more graphical goodness and eye candy and more photo-realistic images. I might also add that nearly every game that runs on Vista runs on XP. Game developers have yet to create a game that is DX10 only. Every game that has been released has had a DX10 mode and a DX9.0c mode for XP users. As to when they'll make the switch to a "Vista/Windows 7 game only" product... who knows.

The newer versions of Windows (Vista and 7) are also "safer", whatever that means. I think this is really a moot point when trying to point out the benefits of Vista over XP. The fact of the matter is you are always going to be updating for security updates. People will always find ways to exploit things, and people will always find ways to patch them. I don't really care for the "safer" argument, because if it were truly a "safe" and "secure" product, I wouldn't have to constantly update the damn thing.

What I am actually fond of, and what I think is the best reason for moving towards Vista/Windows 7 is the 64-bit versions of them. Windows XP 64bit simply sucks. Vista 64 is pretty damn good, and going to a 64bit OS is really the best "future-proofing" you can do. But for you, I'd still say buy a new computer whenever you are ready/have the money.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote