Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2003, 11:45 AM   #1
Epona
Zartan

I've just started Chapter 2 (had the game for months but was battling with a PC problem so have only just got a chance to play the game!)

I've spoken to all the henchmen in the barracks, and they have begun to tell me their tales. When I look in my journal, it says they will continue their tales when I reach a higher level of experience and if they have adventured enough with me that they trust me.

My question is, how long will I have to adventure with each henchman so that they will continue their tales later in the chapter? I have been using the weirdo Monk guy all the way through so far - I'm playing a rogue, so need some heavy melee back-up. I would like to get to do all the henchmen quests, but can't imagine that it will do me much good running around with Tomi in tow for very long, what with my character being a rogue too. We will get our arses kicked!

So how long will I need to adventure with each henchman to enable me to get the info for their quests? In Ch 1 I just recruited them all and then went to speak to each of them when I levelled up to get the info.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:06 PM   #2
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Don't know the exact level. However, I do recommend doing all of their quests, since you gets some really powerful items through them.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 04:23 PM   #3
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
You don't have to adventure with them at all. Just pop back every time you level up or so and rehire them and have another chat, same as chapter 1. IIRC you get the quest chat after you reach level 11? 12? If you do all the quests in the chapter you should definitely be at a high enough level near the end of the chapter anyway [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2003, 06:05 PM   #4
Epona
Zartan

Oh good, thanks guys! That's put my mind at rest.
I'm really enjoying the game so far!
Old 02-09-2003, 10:02 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yup, Epona, just adventure with one or two (I trade off periodically depending on where I'm going) and go to talk with the others. Once you 'hire' one, talk a few times, to level them up and get more story. In fact, you will sometimes already HAVE an item they need for their quests. So keep talking til they tell you to focus on the main quest. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2003, 04:14 PM   #6
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Spoiler kind of.
Being a rogue you really want to do Tomi quest he gives you a ring the helps rogues out quit a bit.

Granamere
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:57 AM   #7
Whailor

Basically what I did: being a fighter it's pesky sometimes to be stumped behind some locked door you can't bash down (not many of those but still) or some chest you can't smack apart even with Improved Powerattack on. Rogue is handy here and so I used Tomi only. But at the end of every chapter, just before ending it, I disbanded Tomi and recruited another henchman. Then I talked to him/her until their story for that chapter was over, and gave them what they wanted. Got the XP and the trinkets. And so with all of them, as I said. When all was done, I disbanded the last henchman and recruited Tomi again, and moved on to next chapter. And so in each chapter, the few hundred XP points per henchman plus the items they give aint bad at all.

As for "how long you should be with them", then just one chapter long. The henchman quests are progressive quests and use the item(s) they have you as the rewards, by upgrading them. Sure the henchmen come with you into every chapter, however when you move on without aiding them, then doubtly you can finish their following quests - you have no first item to upgrade on you. I once soloed through the whole game, and in the last chapter decided to give all the stuff to them and finish all these quests and get all the XP and rewards - well, no luck. Even when I another time missed one henchman quest and didn't finish it, and tried to move on in next chapter, it didn't work either.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:29 AM   #8
Brennihelvete

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
You don't have to adventure with them at all. Just pop back every time you level up or so and rehire them and have another chat, same as chapter 1. IIRC you get the quest chat after you reach level 11? 12? If you do all the quests in the chapter you should definitely be at a high enough level near the end of the chapter anyway [img]smile.gif[/img]
Glad to hear that you dont need them in your party to get their quests. I tryed out an henchman for my sorceror but he was quite annoying...He would always kill my familiar or attack me after I casted an Area of effect spell that hit him. One time I was battling a pack of monsters, and I hadnt saved for a long while, I cast firball at them. My henchman stood in the middle of the battle and was hit as well as the monsters. He turned and killed me with one hit. In my fury I hit reload and cast Horrid Wiltining and fireballs on him. He dropped to the ground quite quickly and I couldnt care less. Never used a henchman again!
Old 02-11-2003, 10:19 AM   #9
quietman1920

You know, there's a Reason why they said his alignment was Evil...
Old 02-11-2003, 10:41 AM   #10
Epona
Zartan

Well just an update - I am battling my way along quite nicely I'm nearing the end of Chapter 2 now with my rogue at level 14. Took me a while to work out that once you get a certain amount of Dex bonus it's better to dump your armour though! My Dexterity is at something like 29 so with a robe instead of leather armour my AC is higher and loads of my skills are better!

Still hanging out with the dwarven monk, but have done most of the other henchmen's quests so far - just a couple of items to get before I move on to Chapter 3 and I'll be sorted.

It's a fantastic game, really enjoying it. I was expecting it to be more linear after Chapter 1, but loads of side-quests to keep me occupied. I'm one of those gamers who doesn't like to leave a single stone unturned or loose ends untied.