Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2002, 12:06 PM   #1
I wish my name was Baggins
Elminster

I Know that there are links and lines in this forum about this topic already but I have two problems with them...

1) I don't see answers to my question of how is it done.

2) I don't really understand the steps to make this happen.

I realize that I do not know that much about the inner workings of the computers and I apologize that I need this broken down Barney style but please have patience with me and someone give me a hand.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:18 PM   #2
Arwyn the Betrayer
Manshoon

Well...
When you download an xpcap-remover, just put the files in your override-folder.
That's all.
Arwyn the Betrayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 12:24 PM   #3
Elminster

Like I said as far as that goes there Arwen the Betrayer you are speaking Greek to me and I no Hablo Greek
Old 09-13-2002, 01:31 PM   #4
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Well, if the procedure is as Arwyn the Betrayer says, then open explorer, go to C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate (if installed to default directory), and under that folder you'll see an additional folder called Override. Unzip the xpcap file and place it in that folder. Then run the game as normal.

"Override" is where most of the smaller changes for Infinity Engine games take place e.g. "homemade" spells and items. The other important files are the dialog.tlk, and the CHITIN.KEY but you don't want to know about that right? [img]smile.gif[/img]

BTW always make copies of the files before you mess around with them. I've ar$ed up IWD twice this week 'cause of not doing that very thing.
Old 09-14-2002, 01:35 PM   #5
Elminster

Like I said...Computer RETARD would be the name plate on my desk...What does it mean to unzip something? Can I download this XPCAP onto a 3.5 disk as my Baldur's Gate game is on a seperate computer than my internet connection.
Old 09-14-2002, 05:15 PM   #6
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Yep. The XPCap Remover you're after can be found at the TeamBG site. Download it from there on to a floppy disk - it's only 20Kb so it'll easily fit. Winzip can be downloaded from here. Install Winzip on your computer, right-click on the programme to install etc, then "unzip" the XPCap Remover to what ever folder you like and copy/paste it to the override folder, or unzip it directly to the override folder instead.

Run the game as normal, and all should be well. Make sure you take the necessry backup of your files as I mentioned above. Also, save your "saves", as uninstalling the game will not remove the Black Isle folder on your computer, and your saves may well be there if you reinstall the game. The problem? If you corrupt the game for any reason, it may the stored within the data of your saves so have a copy ready to cut and paste back over.

I'm sure most people never have any problem with these tools, but you never know. Hope that helps.

BTW to unzip a zipped file, right-click on the file in question, and the menu will give you several options to follow. Use extract to... which will unzip the file where you've saved the XPCap download to. Open it and copy/paste into the override. If you know most of this already, then sorry.

[ 09-14-2002, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]
Old 10-13-2002, 11:57 AM   #7
Cybersquidz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Actually wanted to say thank you. Have been looking for a good XP cap Remover and only kept finding the Grub and another that I seemed I could not get to work. I am not a computer idiot but I guess I am a search idiot. Thanks for the link. Great site, I bookmarked immedietly.
Cybersquidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 07:15 PM   #8
Keraptisdm
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Cybersquidz:
Actually wanted to say thank you. Have been looking for a good XP cap Remover and only kept finding the Grub and another that I seemed I could not get to work. I am not a computer idiot but I guess I am a search idiot. Thanks for the link. Great site, I bookmarked immedietly.
Welcome to the forums, Cybersquidz. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 04:36 AM   #9
Cybersquidz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the welcome...
Cybersquidz is offline   Reply With Quote