Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2003, 10:16 AM   #1
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

This is on MSNBC. Seems some in the record industry have finally woke up and smelled the coffee! Universal is cutting wholesale prices on CD's by $6.
I might actually buy more CD's now!!!
Old 09-04-2003, 11:15 AM   #2
Faceman
Hathor

The problem never was the price but the flexibility. If I want that particular album with all of its 16 songs I'll buy it (especially modem users will).
But if you hear that one song on TV and you can't remember its name you were stuck until the internet came up. Now you just enter
lyrics "some lyrics you managed to get during the song" into Google
and shortly afterwards you know the title and if you have some Napster-like tool you got the whole song only minutes later.
If you don't do it that way you have to run to the store whistle to the clerk and if he recognizes the song he'll probably tell you that he can "order the Best of-Album for only 25.99" and that it "will probably be there next week".
If record companies developed an easy-to-use reliable online-database for their songs included a good search tool and charged reasonable prices for single songs they'd probably take some people of the Filesharing community. After all Audiogalaxy had a centralized database and was way more popular than anything else when it was up.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:02 PM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

At the risk of being banned for preaching illegal software, although I think this is not illegal, but there are people who think raping is wrong so...
KAZAA IS THE BEST YOU CAN GET IF YOU HAVE A SPEED GREATER THAN 2 KB/S!!
Old 09-04-2003, 01:24 PM   #4
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
At the risk of being banned for preaching illegal software, although I think this is not illegal, but there are people who think raping is wrong so...
You sure you wanna write what you just wrote? [img]graemlins/uhoh2.gif[/img]
Hope I just misunderstood your post.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:30 PM   #5
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Bozos, why take the risk? It's not worth the ban. You are now in direct violation of the prime directive, or whatever choc calls it. I'm not so sure that message is healthy man...

And yes, the idea is GREAT. Here in holland prices are outrageously high. I can't even remember the last time I bought a CD. I simply borrow CD's from friends and stuff. And the only thing I download are full DJ sets, since those aren't publicly released and can only be obtained through the internet. As long as you don't make money out of it, it's ok.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:39 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
Kazaa has legal uses. Downloading non-public-domain music isnt one of them. It does get a bit hazy in the case where you do have a copy of the music and are replacing a broken CD or something, but if you hear a song on TV and download it, its illegal. Even if you make a sincere and determined effort to aquire it through legal channels.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:47 PM   #7
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Thats an interesting view there Bozo, That 'raping' comment certainly. Or did you mean rapping? Dangerous typo to make........ As for KaZaA, I use it. Its a handy program, but I buy the CD's also. They're about 10-15 pounds over in england...

[ 09-04-2003, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Beaumanoir ]
Old 09-04-2003, 02:27 PM   #8
Zero Alpha

1. downloading any kind of music you do not own the rights to have is illegal.

2. talking about i here breaks the TOS (unless Ziroc and Choc have a radical change of heart)

3. anyone who knows anything about gaining software/music/whatever illegaly will tell you there are a lot better routes to these things than kazaa. i think most of them would happily see mainstream filesharing shut down and the illicit activity return to those 'in the know'.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:06 PM   #9
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone who might have been offended by my post. I do not rape, nor am I a distributer of ripped or otherwise illegal software. I was merely trying to make a small pun with the issue. I condemn rape and think that all rapists should hang them selves by their toes.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:26 PM   #10
Zero Alpha

its taken me this long to figure out the pun

'cos that is the best....
kazaa is the best....

nice one