Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2004, 08:52 AM   #1
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

I have version 1.0 of W8, which I put the patch from Xignal's site on. Now the game sometimes crashes when the map is called up. It is often slow to load the map as well.
Before I installed the patch I had no problems except for the game running slow at times when the scene was very busy.
Is this a common problem?
Is there a work around?

My system
amd 2600 cpu
512mb ddr ram
32mb geforce2 video on board.
windows me
directx 9

I have the latest drivers from Soltec installed.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:57 AM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

See if you can find the original patch, which fixed the problem of crashes when entering Ascension Peak. That's all it did, so the game itself should run okay after you install it. You'll have to take the game off and reinstall, of course.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:05 PM   #3
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

I thought that the latest patch incorporated all the fixes that the early patches had.
Wouldn't it have had the Ascension Peak fix as well.
The funny thing is that Mr Bradley had problems with the end game of Wizards & Warriors as well.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:26 PM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

D.W. Bradley had nothing to do with Wiz 8

As for the patch, the AP fix is the simplest of the bunch. Most of the fixes past that are fairly minor. I've had no trouble playing with just the original one.

Nightowl2
Old 01-26-2004, 10:16 PM   #5
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Yah, AND the latest patch makes Pick Pockets nearly useless.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 10:56 PM   #6
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Thanks. I'll try that patch.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:36 AM   #7
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Map crashing was a problem I had a very long time (Windows XP). I configurated the keyboard myself ( put the map on the "Num-Enter" ). After a time I decided to try another key so I put in on "0". Believe it or not, for the last 2 month there wasn't any map crashing ( and I use the map often !) .

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:28 AM   #8
Horpner Sneed
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Pickpocketing is much weaker than it was, but it's still quite useful. Here's how to twink it.

Never shoplift. You eventually get caught, and your comeuppance is delayed, so reloading is almost no help--it's too hard to guess when the fool found you out.

Save before pickpocketing. Next, pickpocket the character until you get caught, keeping count of how many times you get away with it.

Reload. Your results will be exactly the same as before, so pickpocket until right before you got caught. Finally, go about your business.

The game generates new pickpocket results periodically, so go back and re-pick old friends after some real-game-time has passed (simply resting doesn't work).
You'll need to relatively high level and have good pickpocket skill before you start to get the really good items.
Horpner Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:05 AM   #9
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Back when I was still using pickpocket, those were two reasons why I never installed any of the later patches: they made it more difficult in the first place, and in the second, pre-determined what you would get. I didn't agree with that

Nightowl2