Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2002, 10:02 AM   #1
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

My druid is level 3, and I've been having some trouble casting spells with her. Now, nowhere in my manual, or the in-game descriptions does it say anything about armor affecting a druids spell casting. Yet, about half of her spells fail! Some of those are from being hit while casting, but at least 3 have been pre-battle buffs or post-battle healing spells. It's got me knackered, any help?
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 10:10 AM   #2
Madrigal Five
Dungeon Master

Hrrmm. Just a guess, but maybe he's wearing armor that he's not proficient with? That is, heavy armor when he's only got 2 slots in armor proficiency?
Madrigal Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 11:18 AM   #3
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hmm... Nope, she's wearing chain mail(med) and has two stars in armor proficiency. Has shield proficiency as well, not wearing a helmet(if that even affects spell casting)... any other ideas?
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Old 11-17-2002, 11:31 AM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Is the character you are trying to cast on invisible or hiding in shadows?

I spent 10 mins trying to cast on my thief that was hiding the other day...
Old 11-17-2002, 11:32 AM   #5
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Dunno, do they get the shield proficiency? Does your druid use a shield?

I would right click all the stuff you have equipped to check their attributes as well, see if any item might be the problem.
Old 11-17-2002, 11:40 AM   #6
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Is the character you are trying to cast on invisible or hiding in shadows?

I spent 10 mins trying to cast on my thief that was hiding the other day...
Heh, haven't done that since BG1. No, i was trying to heal-self.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gimli:
Dunno, do they get the shield proficiency? Does your druid use a shield?

I would right click all the stuff you have equipped to check their attributes as well, see if any item might be the problem.
She uses a shield yes, but i have the shield proficiency. As to checking all my equipment, i tried that before posting and i couldn't find anything. My armor and shield both have penalties to arcane spell casting (5% shield, 30% armor)

Equipment being used:
  • Small shield (no enchantments)
  • Helmet (no enchantments)
  • Houndstooth Collar (for beast claw)
  • Whispering staff (one-handed, got it from Cabalus)
This shouldn't be happening AFAICT.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:22 PM   #7
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Have you tried casting without the shield equipped? Also, without the chain mail equipped? Technically, Druids are not (by strict 3rd ed rules) allowed to wear metal armor. Spell failure penalties may be being invoked here.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 01:36 PM   #8
Madrigal Five
Dungeon Master

Nightowl's correct about metal armor affecting druidic spellcasting ability, but it hasn't been mentioned in the IWD2 game... Arcane spellcasting failure percentages show up in the character Record if a mage (or bard) is wearing armor. Does a similar entry show up for your druid?
Madrigal Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 04:56 PM   #9
Lord Corwin
The Magister

I don`t have a druid...so not sure on this one....

Can`t you take some feats in Armored Arcana? Bolth my Wizard,and my Sorcerer are wearing armor,and have never had a spell failure. But I have my Armored Arcana maxed on bolth of them. It`s not as if you don`t get plenty of feat points as you progress through the game......
Old 11-17-2002, 10:00 PM   #10
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Well, Druids are allowed certain armor and should be able to cast spells without penalty while wearing it. However, they are not technically allowed past leather/hide (no metal), and only wooden shields can be used. Of course, what is being done in the game may be another matter. Armored Arcana may or may not help; the trick is to figure out what's causing the spell failure first.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote