Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2002, 12:03 AM   #1
safyre246
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey all, I just finished Icewind Dale last nite. I picked up Baulders Gate cause the store didn't have the expansion set for IWD. I'm gonna be starting a party in a few minutes. Could someone please tell me the differences between the two games? Do you think I'll like it? (I've been playing AD&D since basic edition was out, both as a DM and a player.)I liked IWD alot. Thanks guys.
safyre246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 12:18 AM   #2
Elendil
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well the first difference is that you create only one character (you) in beginning. All other party memebers are NPC's.
Second difference is graphics in spells (IHMO)...
Third and last difference: BG is longer than ID.
Old 01-16-2002, 06:37 AM   #3
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

I've heard that there's less combat in BG and it instead relies a bit more on roleplaying. Also if you can afford it and it's available I totally recommend gettin "Tales of the Sword Coast" add on for BG.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:02 PM   #4
safyre246
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah I picked up the ToSC when I got BG. Is the world bigger in BG than in IWD?
safyre246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 12:42 PM   #5
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Its different ... in BG1 / TotSC you can smoothly transit from one area to another (with ONE major exception) - as all of the maps are contiguous (more or less). In IWD, you actually skip LARGE areas of intervening countryside, and make big jumps between areas. So geographically, IWD is probably bigger, but not in terms of actual number of dungeon locations.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 02:25 PM   #6
Pantera
Elite Waterdeep Guard

This is just my opinion but I found Icewinddale and the expansion for it a little too hack and slash in comparison to BG and its expansion. Don't get me wrong, IWD is still a great game. Matter of fact, I have enjoyed playing all (BG, TOTSC, IWD, HOW, BGII, and HOB). Unfortunately, I cannot get into a new AD&D game titled Pools of Radiance because my puter doesn't meet with what the game needs for it to run properly *pout*. I have one question to anyone who reads this... has anyone heard or read info on a sequel to Icewinddale? (not the expansion HOW though) Or any game produced by Bioware that falls in line with the type of play that both BG and Icewinddale has to offer...
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 03:05 PM   #7
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

take this for what's it worth ... maybe nothing more than rumour ...

Josh Sawyer from BIS has been soliciting requests for inclusions into a potential IWD2 - such things as new kits, new specialty priests ... I can't think of any good reason to do that UNLESS an IWD 2 was SOMEWHERE in development

Just to correct a small omission from an earlier post - in IWD your party is entirely constructed from scratch (NO npcs) - in BG1 and BG2, you have the OPTIONS to either construct a party from scratch, build just your lead character and incorporate NPCs, or a combination of the two (some npcs and some charcters that you build) .

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 12:13 PM   #8
Sorcerer Alex

There is no comparison between Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale so I will not try to compare them. Baldur's Gate beats it in every way
Old 01-18-2002, 02:38 PM   #9
master ranger
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i agree balders gate is better
master ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 07:04 PM   #10
Witch King
Dungeon Master

I enjoyed BG more compared to IWD as there are more sub-plots ivolved in BG. Also it will take u a while to get anywhere with levels in BG. Anyways hope u enjoy BG as much as i did.