Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2002, 06:00 PM   #1
Kygon-Jo
Dungeon Master

I am in the river caves and have done everything to do including the tough battle before the monastery.
When I go to speak to the dwarf he aks if I have cleard the caves. My response does not say yes, only no i have not.
Nothing is alive. The hook horrors, the ochre jellys and most of the umber hulks. I can see the outline in the wall were i think one more group of umberhulks is supposed to spawn. I have slept next to exited and returned. The last umberhulks will not spawn.
I am getting frustrated. I think I am just going to kill the dwarve slavers and move on. Will this effect anything negatively later on?
Any Ideas are welcome.
Kygon-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 06:47 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Ahhh this bug happend to me too. Patched and everything they never appeared and so I never got to do that quest for him. I just moved on and left it alone. Killed all the slavers and procedded to the monastery. So no the only thing you will miss is the quest XP, everything else will be fine, the way I figured by killing all the slavers more than made up for the extra XP
Old 11-17-2002, 06:51 PM   #3
Kygon-Jo
Dungeon Master

Thanks Spirit. When I tried to rest near the wall Umberhulks and Yeti kept spawnig. The stun easy (returning skull bolt rocks that i bought in the first chapter) and were easy to kill. 619xp for each random Umberhulk and 133 for the yeti. so I got some XP there. On to slay the slavers.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:04 PM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

The quest is only to kill the monsters in the first cave - hook horrors, slimes, trolls, etc. Everything beyond the cave-in is not part of the quest.

The problem is that if the slimes divide too many times, the quest flag is screwed and you never get credit for finishing the quest, even with nothing left alive. The patch was supposed to fix this. Of course, it may not fix things if you've already killed all the critters.

However, there is a way to use the cheat console to set the quest flag so Barzam will recognize you've done the job. Let me know if you want it - although by the time you read this, the Duergar may be dead

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 08:26 AM   #5
Kygon-Jo
Dungeon Master

Thanks for repsonding nightowl. I did kill the slavers and I really did not mind doing it. This is my second time through the game and If I would have Known the the monks were cool and the dwarves attack anyway I would have killed them the first time too.

I read in a walkthrough at SKULLPORT that you have to kill the umber hulks to complete the quest. I have the patch installed long before the slimes.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:10 PM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Well, the walkthru is wrong. I did the quest many times, and it's only the monsters before the cave-in that need to be killed (both upper and lower level).

As it is, a number of players do the quest, get the reward, and then wipe out the Duergar. Something to consider next time through for extra points.

Nightowl2

P.S. And you have the patch? Hmmm, guess it didn't fix things as well as they thought.
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 03:26 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Actually yes I think Nightowl is right there. At the time when I was playing that chapter I was under the impression that the umber hulks held the key to completing Duergers' quest which in fact isn't true.
There are two bugs at work here and what I think was actually happening was this : I had in fact completed the task for him i.e. killed all the monsters he needed killing and cleared the way for him and his buddies but the script was simply not changing (Bug 1) so since the Umber Hulks werent spawning (Bug 2) I was led to believe that they were the problem.
Yes I was fully patched at the time but I will say that my game was not patched originally when I started out. Sometimes this *does* matter so techniquely yes, the patch may fix it but just not for those of us who installed it half-way through.