Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2002, 12:21 AM   #1
Imrahil
Elminster

*** spoiler space ***
I am having a LOT of trouble at the top of the War Tower, when the half-dragon delegation arrives. I'm looking for some tactics to try to get through this battle. Here's my party...

Taligen - lvl 16 Tiefling Fighter - longsword & shield
Khorgan - lvl 17 Dwarf Fighter - greataxe
Riven - lvl 17 Wild Elf Ranger - longsword & shortsword
Arbriand - lvl 17 Human Cleric of Lathander - mace & shield
Arleth - lvl 9/8 Moon Elf Rogue/Wizard - dual shortswords, but mainly bow - he's been with me since BGI - he was my Bhaalspawn & is a given in all my IE games [img]smile.gif[/img]
Kylie - lvl 17 Moon Elf Transmuter - bow

[this is my first time through & the party was more role-playing choices than Min/Max, so I'm hoping for more than "try a different party" advice [img]smile.gif[/img] ]

I have tried several times with this battle with the half-dragon delegation at the top of the War Tower in the Severed Hand & I keep getting killed. I've tried turtling to the right, left, & bottom (where you start). I've tried summoning everything I can right from the start (unfortunately, the start of the dialogue seems to disrupt my spells) & waiting for the dialogue to finish to summon all I can. I've tried dropping all my AoE spells on the area. I've tried wading in (died real quick that time). I'm at a loss. What tactics should I try to beat this battle? Needless to say, I buff up at the bottom of the stairs leading up there, but what else should I try?

Thanks,
Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 03:41 AM   #2
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Ew, I didnt like that battle. If I remember correctly I beat it by checking to see who MOST of the delegation attacked first and slapping an Otilukes Resilient Sphere on them. Then I ran to the other side of the map with the stragglers that were still attacking the rest of the party killed them and went back and finished the others with area effect spells and summons... OH yeah... making yourself invisible BEFORE you go up the stairs didnt do anything because they can "see" you after they "talk" to you. BUT BUT BUT if you go up the stairs (looks like you got two wizards) get one to cast "Mass Invis" while the other puts an otilukes Resilient sphere on one member of your party. Make sure the sphere is finished casting before the invis is. but Sphere is a fast spell and should get off quickly. Then let everyone attack the "Sphered" character back off and pick them off with Summons, Ranged Weapons and Area Effect Spells. Im pretty sure this is how I beat them.
Hope it helps.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:47 AM   #3
Guinness
The Magister

Everything happens a little fast for "summon" type spells here....

This is what i did....

All the usual buff spells (inc mass haste, elemental barrier type spells and mordakenian (SP) swords (I also had a Druid in Elemental Form)).

Druid and paladin head straight for the Dragon Delegation whilst

rogue/fighter + monk guard the rear against the 'actual' reception party.

As mentioned, you can use OSR to reduce the odds a little (my monk had the drow pin which allowed 1 OSR, and my Wiz usually can get one off too).

My Cler was a bit of an extra hand lobbing the odd axe (Tempus) or Doom, prayer...etc on party (oh and of course HEAL!!!!)
Old 11-16-2002, 03:38 PM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I found this battle really tough, mostly because I thought you couldn't sleep again after it so I was conserving spells - no heal, no mass heal, no chain lightning, no nothing . Good news is, it's possible to do without magic at all, though it took me a few tries.

I had my tanks (3) target the captain first, then the slayer knights. Leave the dragons till the end, they do nothing. I did cast improved haste before we went, and moved all my weak people (wizard, cleric, rogue) over to the right. One of them hung about a bit to lure one of the slayer knights over towards her, which she then proceeded to lead about the place not letting him get close enough to attack. When the other knights were dead, my tanks took over. If you throw in some chain lightnings and have some heal and a mass heal or two to play with you should be okay. Just make sure you go for the knights/captain first; they do a lot of damage.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:20 PM   #5
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

You can sleep after it, at least, I could...
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Callum Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 03:28 PM   #6
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Yeah I know that now