Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2001, 11:18 PM   #1
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hi all,

I've created a party for my TOB adventure based on the Black Cauldron (Llyod Alexander) characters:

Gwydion Human Inquisitor
Doli Dwarf Fighter/Thief
Taran Human Ranger
Fflewddur Human Skald
Eilonwy Half-elf Mage/Cleric
Dalben Elf Sorceror

This is as realistic as I can get based on the novel characters, but I'm worried that there may not be enough fighters in the party (since Doli is a multi-, he's not that powerful).

So, would be great if anyone can assure me that the adventure is doable with the party above.

Thanks!
mistral4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 11:41 PM   #2
G'kar

I beat bg2/TOB the second time around with no true class fighters: ranger/cleric, monk, sorcerer, illusionist/thief, Cleric, bard
It was fun, a little more challenging, and definitly worth doing.
Im now working on a two member party to replay with.
Old 09-27-2001, 08:57 AM   #3
masteraleph
Elminster

It's a bit fighter weak but not excessively so. You've got 2 full tanks (inquisitor and ranger), the multi fighter/thief isn't bad (use any item could bring it up), and the skald can be a monster tank in a pinch with Tenser's Transformation (because he'll be higher level than your other fighters)
masteraleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 11:21 PM   #4
Black Knight

My last party combo:

The Black Knight -Inquisitor
Savrok - overall bad ass fighter dude
Jaheria - Fighter-Druid
Imoen - thief-mage
Nalia - thief-mage
Aerie - cleric-mage

Jaheria sucks as a fighter, used her mostly to keep the heat off the mages til they could summon something to kill it (or magic missle it into the ground - something about doing three spell triggers with ten Magic Missles into that is fun and satisfying - else the target creature has a reflection spell on, but that is another story for another time).

Just be creative with your spell combos - try web, entangle (ranger should get it) and then area effect spells and target practice

BK

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner

()xxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::>
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 01:52 PM   #5
Istaron
Banned User

Ohh, I get all warm inside when hearing that someone has acctually read those books

2˝ tanks could acctually be enough... but since you are roleplaying, you can try to give party some special abilitys using shadowkeeper! like Doli can turn invisible for a short time and so on.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Istaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 09:08 PM   #6
masteraleph
Elminster

Yeah, Istaron, you've got a point, haven't read those books in a long time but seeing someone working with them feels good.
masteraleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 12:47 PM   #7
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

WHOA!!! Nice one mistral!!! I loved the Black Cauldron!!! Heehee funny to see someone use it as a theme for a BG2 party!!!

Anyways, I just name them based on how they look as a team... currently with my Cavalier, I have:

Ryan (Cavalier)
Minsc
Jaheira
Nalia
Viconia
Yoshimo

Well obviously I am still at the beginning part of the game... but when I go to ToB Minsc may be well replaced by Sarevok... he is my bro... bro is closer than friend...

Well what I call this party is the Ballista party... 4/6 have long ranged weapons, 2 tanks, and 2 capable of tanking if necessary, and two theives. Traps are detected much faster, they are archers also, one can detect and one can backstab... well... for the spell casters part, things can be quite messy round here... Actually... I just realized, I can also have a Barbaric suicidal party... they are ALL capable of attacking melee style... tsktsk... uh-oh!

Have you read the High King?

------------------

[b]Chaotic Cavalier of ALSB, protector of the Innocent, slayer of the mad...[b]
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 09:04 PM   #8
mistral4543

Hurray, there are others who have read the Black Cauldron series!

I have all the books in the series - Book of Three, Black Cauldron, Castle of Llyr, Taran Wanderer and High King. Each time I reread, I can't stop till I've completed the entire collection. And I've reread it at least 3 times.

I just tried out my party last night...Dalben somehow got killed But I just realised how powerful a sorceror can be, which is nice. Fflewddur spent 90% of the time singing and didn't get to use his spells/fighting abilities. Sadly, each Doli tried to hide in shawdows (he was wearing the Night's Gift/Leather +5) he didn't really manage it so I gave him a ring of invisibility instead.

Is Shadowkeeper difficult to manage? So far I haven't used it, just resorted to CLUAConsole cheats.

Old 09-30-2001, 11:39 PM   #9
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well, I have read the High King and the Black Cauldron years ago.. haven't read the entire series though... but good enough to know what you are talking about!

DOn't worry... your party will manage...

And Shadow Keeper... is much, much easier than CLUA consoles... I tell you that..

------------------

Chaotic Cavalier of ALSB, protector of the Innocent, slayer of the mad...
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 11:43 PM   #10
mistral4543

Okie, I will go try it out one of these days. Keeping my fingers crossed that the game won't crash or smtg...