Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2003, 07:20 PM   #21
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
M rating = no sale to minors without parental consent from parent present at time of purchase.

That's kinda actually how I got my copy of Diablo 2. My mom was with me and got the game for me.
Diablo 2 is rated M?? No way, I've never seen a Blizzard game rated over T, with the exception of Diablo 1...*goes to check*

Well I'll b damned, it is rated M...I find that funny [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2003, 07:57 AM   #22
dragon_lord
Elminster

Personally I would be more worried about what kids are seeing in the real world every day - September 11 (an other horrific acts of violence and hatred), school shootings, wars {pretty much everything on the news}, and school bullying. Yes there is merit to the argument that video games desensitise children to violence but without everything else (movies etc) I don’t believe it could make children more violent on its own. Often children who commit violet acts already have psychological damage from bullying, abuse etc.

The government here still thinks games are for kids and thus contain 'kiddie content', as evident by its refusal for an R +18 category for games because then (heaven for bid) they might actually have to spend money on enforcing its ratings. Currently MA +15 games are supposed to be restricted to, you guessed it, over 15. However I can say that in all the times that I have bought such games when I was under 15 not one store refused to sell them to me - something that doesn’t happen when going to the movies (usually). Although all the blame can not placed on stores - parents are also responsible (a word that seems to go missing on some people) for what their kids do. And heres where the government comes in again; most parents are simply clueless when it comes to games and the internet so they let their kids play/do things that they really are too young for. So as the government loves to spend tax payers money on useless ads (be alert not alarmed!) why not spend the money on something worthwhile like ratings education/enforcement and then we might have to find something else to scapegoat (a sad reflectionon on society) for violence.

[ 10-22-2003, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: dragon_lord ]
[img]\"http://unrealpowerhouse.ozforces.com.au/lich_des.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/\" target=\"_blank\">The Items Mart</a><br /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/misc.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Monster Enchantments and Immunities List</a>
Old 10-22-2003, 09:13 AM   #23
cloud ff7 38
User suspended until [Nov26]

hey thanks for the ideas and opinions. For the most part I will be using what you guys said. So far I have about 5 pages Im almost done.

Thanks guys!